Axe-Fx II Firmware 19.01 Public Beta (1)

Okay here's my analysis and opinion on the de-phase parameter:

dephase.png

As the image suggests the green line is an alloy IR without de-phase. The red line is the same IR with de-phase at 5. The blue line is the same IR with de-phase on 10.

So essentially it evens out your IR. If you have a bad IR you can make it more usable by using de-phase. On the other hand if you have a good IR then I personally wouldn't advice you to use de-phase as it also removes the character of your IR. So at 10 it's almost like a Palmer PDI.

From an IR procuder point of view you will not see me using this feature. Don't get me wrong. It's a really useful tool and it can make many IRs sound better. The reason I wouldn't use it is that I spend a lot of time making sure that I have the best resolution for my IRs. When we start talking about evening out the IR graphs then it's similar to lowering the resolution of the IR.

I think this is a great future and many people will find it useful. I would assume in a live situation it's a miracle worker especially with FRFR setups. It "should" result in less ear fatigue. :)

This is exactly what I hoped it accomplished. IMO, the vast majority of IRs are rendered useless by excessive "character". And there's still plenty of resolution in the low-end. De-Phase is the difference that will have me purchasing more IRs in the future.

I'm leaving for vacation. When I get back I'll look into the crashing thing some more and work on optimizing the process. I'm sure with a little work we can get the lag down to almost nothing.

Awesome. Just gotta remember to find a cab and leave it. I love the process so much that I just cannot help wanting to scroll thru cabs ;-) Enjoy your vacation!

I take it this is not AXE-Edit compatible yet?

It works and can access the new amps after you update blocks, but you can't access the new parameters there yet. I just select the block with the new parameter, pause axe edit, and then adjust the parameter on the front panel.

Last edited:
Enjoy your vacation Cliff. And thanks again for the update.
Your dedication never seizes to amaze.
I'm repeating myself but.... best peace of gear I ever purchased!!

Uploaded 19.01b(1), to me it's an super powerful update !, I played with new F-IRs the only thing that came to my mind is Super Clarity of tone, about the high gain side of 19.01b(1) I just tested new parameters with my favorite amp Boogie MarkIV with two IR from CP7, bud mostly I spend a lot of my time for ''Dephase'' parameter, I found between 2.5-3 that's perfect in my ears, I can hear more detail of my tone and the feel of amp in the room a lot better !, now my tone has more clarity, punchy, also very good touch and feel on low strings I mean in terms of tightness,

Thank you Cliff for all your hard work, I really appreciate it.

I tried the dephase parameter and except for the extreme settings (>7.5 - 10) I didn't notice an improvement.
Not to say I don't appreciate Cliff's efforts.
I just don't hear it.
Been playing with backing tracks to see how it made a difference in the mix.
I've copied the cab from X to Y, kept changing the dephase parameter on the Y block but didn't hear the huge difference some people heard. Must be something wrong with my ears.
I got better results tweaking the amp's eq than playing with the dephase thing.

I tried the dephase parameter and except for the extreme settings (>7.5 - 10) I didn't notice an improvement.

if it's aligning phase, you may just prefer the original signal. it probably depends on the IR itself as well as your preferences in general. for me, around 5 was a great improvement for the IRs i tried.

this is kinda like saying having your bass set to 10 is always better. it just isn't universal.

Last edited:
if it's aligning phase, you may just prefer the original signal. it probably depends on the IR itself as well as your preferences in general. for me, around 5 was a great improvement for the IRs i tried.

this is kinda like saying having your bass set to 10 is always better. it just isn't universal.

Also, from the description, it seems to be more of "feel" thing, so it may not translate listening back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hey guys,
please help me out understanding the dephase thingy: shouldnt phase only be an issue if we use an IR captured with 2 different mics or 2 different IRs?
or is the new features purpose to remove phase issues resulting from an improper capturing process (early reflections for example)?
any explanation would be appreciated!

chris

I just had a tinker with the dephase just on headphones and i like it. I found I liked it pretty much just above or below 5 for high gain stuff. higher than that the treble got a little too smooth

but that could be it's i was using too. was using it with a few it's I'm using from the bulb cab pack .

I personally find the dephase to be pretty awesome thus far. It's subtle, but it seems to tame, or completely get rid of, the washy hiss that seems to build up when recording multi-tracked guitars through IRs. I'm using high quality IRs too, so I kind of think this is a "dial to taste" parameter as well. Combined with the new dynamic character parameter, I'm having a lot of fun with it. Cheers! And enjoy the vacation.

Back
Top Bottom