Axe-Fx II Firmware 19.00 Public Beta

All right, this is going to be a review kind of :)

so I had a lot of trouble getting kind of tone I wanted from the drive pedals - it had way too much gain than I needed for the most part, even with the gain wayy down and it always had this flubby bass response, no matter what I did. Lot of other people had great sounds, so it is not obviously just the AXE FX problem, but I just could not get it to cooperate :).

But this firmware changed it - I tested mainly the TS and it is almost like getting the G3 in amps all over again :) - the flub is gone (except for some amps, but that is I believe because of the bass response of the actual amps), the gain is wayy better for my purposes - just something I would expect from a drive pedal - being able to push it just a little bit.

when I engage the drive it is like I always felt when I added a drive pedal in my previous experience (I grew up digital, so it was always some kind of POD device) - like if the strings became fatter and smooth, filled with a chain of small red glowing tubes (that is my visual interpretation of the sound), especially with the neck pickup - simply great.

the way I used to dial in a drive pedal resulted in a tone that was usable with any pickup combination on my guitar - now it is that way also (before v19 I was always unsatisfied with it - one position worked great, others not so much) - now I have a usable tone for every pickup selector position and I like them all.

and the best part - the dynamics - I can back off a volume knob a bit and I can get almost clean tone, or just a little breakup or I can have a soaring lead tone with bridge pickup and full on volume. - Beautiful.

I mean, as I said - there were guys who had amazing tones with the drive pedals and could do what I wanted to, but I wasn´t able to do that. Until now.

So thanks Cliff, you did it again for me.

I just hope, I am not imagining things in my head. And yes, I am biased, I paid a lot of money for the device and I want it to work, so I am probably overhyping it, if that is an English word :)

But I enjoy what I am hearing very much now. :)

cheers

J.

There is : Axe-Fx II Bugs The key is just report it and leave it there someone from Fractal will read it and confirm or dismiss it .
thanks - I have actually never looked there. I do think though that in a thread about a beta people are going to post their reactions here and instead if reflexively telling them to use their ears we should let people provide feedback on their experience of the beta here.

thanks - I have actually never looked there. I do think though that in a thread about a beta people are going to post their reactions here and instead if reflexively telling them to use their ears we should let people provide feedback on their experience of the beta here.

At the same time i would think it is easier for FAS to go to the bugs section and locate any bug there. They don't have to go through pages of "thanks FAS", "great Cliff" etc that way. ;)

^How do you mean? G3 modeling is for analog circuits. The effects are written to be optimized versions of the effect rather than a model of a specific circuit, so it's disanalogous.

Super psyched to play with this, but stuck playing catch up on web work for the paying job, which kept me from getting any bass done showing off the new ML Bass Pack, wondering if with major changes in the Drive Block, new Presets for 19.xx Official release? Maybe a good time to add a few bass presets to give folks a good starting point and an easy way for Clark/Mikko to show off for example, "Here's Preset #x with the Factory Cab #xx and here it is with the new ML SV Bass Pack.

As far as music legends that run companies,I think Leo Fender comes to mind pretty instantly, doubt he was as hardworking as Cliff, but yes, the head of a company can become a legend if they build legendary gear and no doubt, the Axe FX is on it's way to that place - sometimes it feels like cheating though, used to have to work hard for great tone, now all you have to do is flip a switch, okay clearly learning about how to use it will get you better results (I have a long way to go on navigating everything), really not a bad thing though to be able to focus more on writing and playing then dialing in tone!

That strange noise in the background of decaying notes has gone - so I assume that was the power amp modelling change mentioned. It was beginning to bug me so that is a welcome change. The drive pedals 'make sense' to me now - much more usable and relatable in my opinion.

Sounds better than ever - a big shock to everybody I know.

Back
Top Bottom