Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.11 Released

Cliff thanks for having our backs.

I can chillax knowing someone is working on things.

You are the Tony Stark of the guitar world..
And I personally appreciate it a lot..

I feel this may be close to the money. a potential shift towards a preset pack system more like kemper does maybe ? which I would actually be in favour of .At this point I'd much rather buy a pack of high quality , tone matched ,IR matched , ready to go presets than hundreds of IR's to sort through . at this point I feel a little worn out with limitless IR options .I have 8 or 9 full packs now from various makers. I feel like if i cant get a sound I like not having the right IR isnt the problem

I'm not sure this makes much sense. Part of the benefit of the Axe is that you can combine any cab with any amp. Presets that are locked and purchasable on their own removes that function, no? Or are you saying in addition to the traditional IR function?

FWIW, I don't have a dog in this fight, as I have yet to use a single IR. I'm still having fun playing through (and adjusting) the factory presets...and haven't even gotten through all of them. Just trying to clarify what you're saying, so forgive me if I'm misunderstanding/misrepresenting you.

I'm not sure this makes much sense. Part of the benefit of the Axe is that you can combine any cab with any amp. Presets that are locked and purchasable on their own removes that function, no? Or are you saying in addition to the traditional IR function?

FWIW, I don't have a dog in this fight, as I have yet to use a single IR. I'm still having fun playing through (and adjusting) the factory presets...and haven't even gotten through all of them. Just trying to clarify what you're saying, so forgive me if I'm misunderstanding/misrepresenting you.

they aren't locked in....just a package of a cab that is meant or works well for a specific amp, you are free to change. (from my understanding)

they aren't locked in....just a package of a cab that is meant or works well for a specific amp, you are free to change. (from my understanding)

I didn't mean locked in in terms of DRM or something; rather, I was trying to clarify if he was suggesting presets packages instead of traditional cab packs, or in addition to them (or, some other idea beyond those two). Because if the former, then presumably selling one as part of a preset means it could be extracted and used in other presets, and then you're back to the same place in the end.

I didn't mean locked in in terms of DRM or something; rather, I was trying to clarify if he was suggesting packages presets instead of traditional cab packs, or in addition to them (or, some other idea beyond those two).

i know one of those that is being referred to is the new thing by The Amp Factory...they are packaging custom made presets with matching cabs. Could be very useful for a starting point or for some that are new to the Axe...or to just highlight how well a certain cab works for a certain type of amp(s). I don't think you'll see it becoming the norm, but could be cool and useful for some/many.

I have so many questions regarding this. F.ex. I created presets for Cab Pack 7 last November that sounded really good but with the current firmware are unusable because there are so many changes happening in the Axe-Fx. (I would say the Axe-Fx has a short preset life cycle if you always want to use the newest firmware.) Does this new method mean that there will no longer be changes to the amp simulation of the Axe-Fx or do these presets save the sound from that firmware and are you able to use your older presets properly?

As an IR producer you might've guessed that I'm concerned. Aren't like 90% of all these user cab slots filled with IRs that are illegal to share?

Maybe a little off topic, but why would an IR not sound good because of a firmware change. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the goal of an ir is to faithfully reproduce (as much as possible) the sound of a particular speaker/cab. A real 4x12 with greenbacks doesn't suddenly become bad just because you change the firmware does it?

i know one of those that is being referred to is the new thing by The Amp Factory...they are packaging custom made presets with matching cabs. Could be very useful for a starting point or for some that are new to the Axe...or to just highlight how well a certain cab works for a certain type of amp(s). I don't think you'll see it becoming the norm, but could be cool and useful for some/many.

Gotcha. I could see that being useful.

I have a suggestion regarding the downloading of custom IRs. How about setting up a separate axechange for these cab+IR patches. Users will have to pay for access to these particular patches and royalties could then be paid to IR developer. This is similar to how ASCAP and BMi work for public performance Royalties. Of course, some users will still share, but most will abide by the licensing limitations and it may be an administrative headache, but, at least it might solve the potential problems.

Just a suggestion.

Reactions: trb

and you would still have that benfit , but you can also give to the choice to those who want 3rd party preset packs . my guitar time at the moment is minimal due to a new baby . I'd happily pay the price of a cab pack for some more quality prestes that I can just use without too much tweaking.that said I would expect them to be very good .

yes of course I still wnat to be able to make all my own presets when I want to but options are always good

Problem I see with selling preset/IR combo's is that good tone is a subjective thing.

The current Axe presets are "good" but darn if I don't still tweak the amp controls a bit to account for taste, and my guitar etc. Likewise, I almost always swap out the IR's simply because I have other ones I like better. Factory IR 58 and 59 are great GB cabs from Clark Kent, but they aren't my favorite CP8 options, so I change presets with those cabs to my own.

I'm also sure the cabs, drive blocks etc, that I think sound best, or totally different than what another guy changes his too, so on and so forth....

Unless we are talking about a custom preset creation service, where the author takes into account a given users taste when it comes to cabs, amps, maybe favorite reference recordings, etc, I don't think its really possible to create presets that are going to please all the people, all the time.

I think it makes more sense to say "here are a bunch of cabs, with a variety of mics, pick your favorite" and then combine that with your favorite amp model and create your own ideal tone.

I have so many questions regarding this. F.ex. I created presets for Cab Pack 7 last November that sounded really good but with the current firmware are unusable because there are so many changes happening in the Axe-Fx. (I would say the Axe-Fx has a short preset life cycle if you always want to use the newest firmware.) Does this new method mean that there will no longer be changes to the amp simulation of the Axe-Fx or do these presets save the sound from that firmware and are you able to use your older presets properly?

:) You say said, that i thought. In general i think, the idea to support an easy "one file" distribution possibility for the sound of an complete signal chain is desirable. I remember the Pete thorn tonematch and some from Cliff himself in the very early days of Tonematch feature. They sound awesome - and i thought, maybe because you get the tweaked sound of an actual signal chain, made by people who know their stuff. THIS is the - i called it - Pemper-Story: You buy (and trust) the copy of actual signal chains, recorded and made by studio pro`s, who knows their stuff...

If this paradigm should work also with the Axe, sound consistency is needed from the whole playback systemover time. I did not see that in the Axe-Fx, as long it`s in active development.

Back
Top Bottom