Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.08 Released

Thanks Cliff - the Axe FX II sounds awesome - the best sounds at any level (bedroom, rehearselroom, studio...) :eagerness:

Does anyone use the Axe-Fx II in front of an amp, specifically using output 2 and the FXLoop block, as recommended in the manual. If so, did you notice any changes with levels, etc. with the recent firmware revisions? I haven't played through my AC30 in a while (been only able to play through headphones recently), but today I had a chance to power up my amp. and the levels seemed all out of whack. None of the settings on my amp. were changed and I was using the same guitars I normally use. Is there something I missed in the release notes in the revisions since v17.x?

Thanks

Through the return jack on my 1987x sounds outstanding,cab sims off...

Cab sims off? By that do you mean amps and cabs bypassed in the chain or is there a setting on the Axe-Fx interface to turn off cab. sims?

My chain is pretty simple when I use my amp.; GCX Buffer -> Compression -> [Axe-Fx (EQ -> Reverb -> FXLoop-Output 2)] -> pre-amp -> AC30.

According to the manual, I shouldn't have to turn off cabinet modelling if I don't have any amps or cabs in the chain...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3.4.8 Axe-Fx II as Effects Processor Only (with Guitar Amps)

Global Settings:
Defaults OK, since special presets required should not have AMP or CAB blocks!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

or am I missing something?

I've posted in here before about this and was told to change settings in the I/O menu, which I did, but I still can't get computer sounds through my Fractal and it is frustrating me to the point of me not using it. As far as I can tell, the settings are what they should be. If I revert to the old firmware, everything is fine. I have no idea where to even look. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Apparently all I needed to do was ask about it again. Figured it out 10 minutes after posting this. Haha. Excited though.

Last edited:
I finally got around to trying the different preamp tube types in depth. I'm mostly a high gain player, fwiw.

The default short-plate is pretty good, but I really like the 'Modern' tube with most high gain amps. slightly different character, and more clarity, it seems like. It may just be more treble though, haha. Long plate is interesting, seems lower gain, smoother, tamer, more 'refined' maybe. I can certainly see it being useful for harsh amps.

Back
Top Bottom