Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.08 Released

I got the same error message when I first uploaded the firmware.
The axe fx 2 went it self in Firmware update mode. Just hit Exit and update again

(In earlier days that was mandatory before updates, utility-->firmware-->Enter )

Glad it's not just me! Funnily enough I never switched the Axe FX into firmware update mode, nor did I switch it out of firmware update mode; I just tried to upload the firmware twice, the first time I got the error and the second time it worked perfectly. Weird.

I went back to my old IIc+ patch and just changed the MV to 4.0 and the amp type to USA IIC+ Brt/Dp and did not need to make any other changes. Sounded great. Awesome work Cliff and team!

It would be more appropriate if you said "laboratory".

A "lab" is usually associated with places where things like the "lightbulb" or "nuclear fusion" are discovered. The "Axe-FX" is so much more important.
I was thinking meth, but whatever....didn't frames of mind and references to draw from. :)

I'm digging the new II C+ a lot here!
I was just jamming for a few minutes and came up with a cool sound for a metal type riff crunch!
Tried this with an EMG equipped guitar which helps get the crunchies!
Settings:

USA IIC+ Brt/Dp
Input drive 7.17
Overdrive 9.13 (adjust according to guitar)
Bass 2.05
Mid 2.60
Treb 7.24
Presence 6.85
MV 3.46
Level -10.6
5 Band (Mark) 240 at -5.39, 750 at -10.68 and 2200 at -5.20.
I used a stock Cab (4x12 Ck USA Trad 57-121 (UR))
28.3% room
Modern preamp at HQ.
Drive and Sat at 1.

Let me know what you think!

thanks for the suggested settings..
have never played through an actual mesa before so was quite unfamiliar about the amp.
when i first tried your settings, i couldn't get the high gain tones i am hearing from others.
re-reading all the posts on the amp made me realize that the fat and brt switches needed to be engaged.
i turned them on and, voila, there is was...:encouragement:

thanks for the suggested settings..
have never played through an actual mesa before so was quite unfamiliar about the amp.
when i first tried your settings, i couldn't get the high gain tones i am hearing from others.
re-reading all the posts on the amp made me realize that the fat and brt switches needed to be engaged.
i turned them on and, voila, there is was...:encouragement:

I didn't have those turned on with this sound.

Reactions: ALE
Changing the tube type really changes the way the amps feel, sound and behave. It's become a very important early stop to help me dial things in right.

For me on most amps, the modern setting is usually just a bit too stiff and harsh where the vintage setting still retains a lot of gain but softens things up. But the modern setting is right at home with other amps like the rectos and FAS Modern where those amps can benefit from the added stiffness and harshness. Loving the new tube types!!!

As for the IIC+, I've got it dialed and am really enjoying it. As Cliff said, you have to find the sweet spot with many different settings all adding up to the finished end tone. Once you find it, it is glorious. For me, the IIC+ Brt/Dp or IIC+ Brt didn't make too much difference. The difference for me was that I need the fat switch on and you really have to get the master volume right. The default of 5 does not work at all for me. The graphic EQ is a must to get just right as is with most mark amps, but for this amp I hoping I wouldn't have to use it since the actual amp didn't have one. This wasn't the case. I feel this amp sounds very "vintage" which is awesome for leads. Those attempting to get a more modern/high gain tone from it should probably just use a different amp. Other amps can just do high gain/rhythm tone better. My 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
Does this FW sound generally brighter to anyone else? I am struggling a bit redialing for a point release that did not purport to change much. It may be psychological but it seems a lot of my presets are bit more harsh and I am redialing more of them than expected (a lot of times a simple amp reset fixes a preset to my satisfaction on a point release). Note that I normally am a big fan of tones that have a fair amount of energy in the HF bands; perhaps the update has bore this tendency out too much. ;)

Yes, yes, yes and yes. Pull Shift under the Bass knob is not modeled since it doesn't sound good. Pull Lead is the channel switch. Push it in for clean, pull out for lead. The clean channel is not modeled as it sounds the same as the Mark IV clean.
Uhm... My question got buried after the rush of posts about the release of the Firmware, so I'll try again:

Mr. Chase, is the Presence knob on the back of the amp modelled?
If so, It's the taper accurate? Meaning 5 Presence on the real amp is 5 on the Axe-Fx II?

Thanks.

EDIT: I'm talking about the IIC+ ;)

Just curious.

Uhm... My question got buried after the rush of posts about the release of the Firmware, so I'll try again:

Just curious.

Accurate to which amp? The one modeled? Since the tapers can have a difference of 10-20% from amp to amp..

Accurate to which amp? The one modeled? Since the tapers can have a difference of 10-20% from amp to amp..

Yeah, of course, the one modeled.
I really don't mind if it's accurate or not, just want to know if the presence knob is modeled.
I guess it is, but everywhere here and in the wiki just talks about the front panel knobs and the Push/Pulls. The Presence knob it's in the back of the amp.

It doesn't even name the Presence knob in the Wiki as "Original Controls", that's why I'm wondering if it's modeled.
From the Wiki: Amp: all models - Axe-Fx II Wiki

"Original controls: Volume / Pull Bright, Treble / Pull Shift, Bass / Pull Shift, Middle, Master / Pull Deep, Lead Drive / Pull Bright. Simul-Class / Class A switch. No graphic equalizer."

I'm dumbfounded by the love of the IIC+. Back when they came, I had one, everyone complained about them, myself included. I couldn't wait to unload mine at a loss and nowadays it's revered.

Anywho, I like the preamp tube options, they're subtle, but sometimes just that little bit that was missing.

What didn't you like about it?

Back
Top Bottom