Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.08 Released

Mr. Chase, is the Presence knob on the back of the amp modelled?
If so, It's the taper accurate? Meaning 5 Presence on the real amp is 5 on the Axe-Fx II.

Thanks.

EDIT: I'm talking about the IIC+ ;)

IIC+ is reminding me of my love/hate/hate relationship with my real Mesa Mark series. Hebert is giving me wood, though.

Thanks, as always!

:lol..like I'm still fiddling around with the last update..and only just loaded up Fremen's and Yeks latest preset releases as well..hell NO not complaining it's simply amazing all round..Thanks guys.

• Modern: An idealized 12AX7 model. This is the same model from
version 18.04 firmware. This model is useful for high gain tones
that can benefit from the increased clarity and string separation.

Thanks so much for this Cliff!! Not only is it great for high gain but its very useful for people like me that drown their tone in reverb and delay. :)

I am a long time jp forum user as well and remember matt from there, i dont think he remembers this but we had a chat on peavey revalver amp sims back then... Good old times

I am a long time jp forum user as well and remember matt from there, i dont think he remembers this but we had a chat on peavey revalver amp sims back then... Good old times

I don't remember you by name but I do remember those ReValver days. I use to be a much more active member of the guitar playing community and I used to donate my services in patch making for modelers for the community, but as I get older and older, I get to play less and less and my actual career takes over more and more of my life. :(

It's awesome you guys still remember me from those old days! :)

My main amp has been IIC+ since the day one. I'm a boogie player, used to own MkIV, Triaxis/2:90
With this update I can achieve good growl by:
- Cranking the master 6-8!
- Turn up LF resonance (it's quit low with 18.08 )
- Bas 0-2 (or cut)
- Mark classic V shape EQ

(No cab sim, matrix -> 2 x EVM 12L)

It seems like the Cab block adds less volume now (since last or previous release). I used to compensate in the Cab block for 5,6 db of level that it seemed to add depending on the cab type, but now it seems to be pretty level not adding or removing volume from the overall patch (I've taken the compensation out of most of my presets). A good thing for me as I find it easier to set my levels this way.

Guys, help me please! Just after update I dialed my IIC+ preset, and it's dramatically changed. It became to fuzzy, a little hursh, and there is no tight riff feeling like before. All knobs about 12 I suppose, but I've tried many things to find the good riff sound, no success. The same story on all kinds of IIC+ and Mark IV. Here the quick audio - https://soundcloud.com/iakov-tsvirkunov/iic-1808
Any ideas?

Yeah!! I am so stoked about the Badger 30!! :D

Do try reloading the firmware. Recently I experienced the phenomenom where a firmware upgrade caused loss of tone / gain.
Reset didn't help. But reloading the firmware fixed it, and I could experience the IIC+'s liquid tone. Can't explain it but it happened.

Can anyone explain how this happens? We see this every time there is a firmware upgrade. "Not sounding right? Re-load the firmware". I've actually experienced it myself.

One logical explanation is that data is being lost or corrupted somewhere between the computer and the Axe Fx. I assumed FAS would be using some kind of protocol to ensure the reliable delivery of the data. (ie. something like TCP - checksum)

Cliff or Matt, can you guys explain how/why this happens, and if there's anything that can be done to make the transfer more reliable?

EDIT: Not complaining...actually just curious as Data Networking dude. :)

Last edited:
Guys, help me please! Just after update I dialed my IIC+ preset, and it's dramatically changed. It became to fuzzy, a little hursh, and there is no tight riff feeling like before. All knobs about 12 I suppose, but I've tried many things to find the good riff sound, no success. The same story on all kinds of IIC+ and Mark IV. Here the quick audio - https://soundcloud.com/iakov-tsvirkunov/iic-1808
Any ideas?

While haven't tried this version of the model yet -- still on 18.07 until tonight -- it sure seems like "all knobs at noon" would not be where I would start with a Mark series Boogie. Esp the bass.

While haven't tried this version of the model yet -- still on 18.07 until tonight -- it sure seems like "all knobs at noon" would not be where I would start with a Mark series Boogie. Esp the bass.
Yes, I've tried. But anyway - the amp changed very seriously. I't became quite good for lead, but bad for riffs.

Can anyone explain how this happens? We see this every time there is a firmware upgrade. "Not sounding right? Re-load the firmware". I've actually experienced it myself.

One logical explanation is that data is being lost or corrupted somewhere between the computer and the Axe Fx. I assumed FAS would be using some kind of protocol to ensure the reliable delivery of the data. (ie. something like TCP - checksum)

Cliff or Matt, can you guys explain how/why this happens, and if there's anything that can be done to make the transfer more reliable?

I've just had my own personal nightmare upgrading straight from Firmware V15 to V18. I had to wait a while because I had a few gigs to play and wasn't sure what would happen.

Basically it's worth making a backup of your presets before you update the firmware. I took a bunch of screen shots of my Global Amps to see why this was happening and the Dynamic Depth was reduced to zero after the update. Some other settings on some other amps also required a tweak or two. Master volume trim etc.

I had to roll back to V15 to take the screen shots. When I did this all of the patches I had tweaked and saved disappeared, but thankfully they reappeared after I upgraded back to 18.

I think the moral of all this is to back stuff up before you update, even if that means taking seven screen shots per amp model. It takes a lot of tweaks to get right so it's definitely worth the hassle :encouragement:

Yes, I've tried. But anyway - the amp changed very seriously. I't became quite good for lead, but bad for riffs.

The Dynamic Depth is definitely worth looking at. It changes the feel of the amp a lot. If something is good for solos but not good for riffing I imagine it has something to do with this parameter.

Wow. perfect timing. I was just about to work on some presets, opened AXE edit, and got the sweet notice that a new AE was available. I thought... wait... what? New AE... that only happens when there is... NEW FIRMWARE! Yippee!

Also, first time that I ever got AE before the FW. Pretty nice. That's the way to do it if you ask me. Thanks Fractal!

Any ideas?

A IIc+ is probably the last amp you would like to set up with everything at twelve oclock.
Download the manual from Mesa Boogie webpage.

Back
Top Bottom