Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.08 Released

thanks cliff!

wow....that new MKII is tough to dial in. i've been messing with it for an hour and i'm still not happy. initially it sounds really papery and not what you'd expect, but a little of the mark eq goes a long way....

i actually thought there was something wrong when i first tried it and reloaded the firmware...

Last edited:
thanks cliff!

wow....that new MKII is tough to dial in. i've been messing with it for an hour and i'm still not happy. initially it sounds really papery and not what you'd expect, but a little of the mark eq goes a long way....

i actually thought there was something wrong when i first tried it and reloaded the firmware...

Like the real thing though. They are notoriously finicky to dial in.

thanks cliff!

If you're using a guitar with humbuckers, start with the model with the bright on. See if that helps. I'd stay away from the "deep" versions with 'buckers.

I would also recommend pulling up Clark Kent's thread on dialing the Mark IV. No, they aren't the same amp, but they share a similarity or two. Use the traditional tone stack to shape the sound of the distortion, then the graphic to actually EQ the final frequencies you want to hear.

Thank you FAS!

Checking out the MKIIC+ right now. RESERVING JUDGEMENT until I've had lots of time with this amp.

On the Mk series amps, I never have the bass past 2 or the mid past 3 (on the real amps). The graphic is then employed in a classic V shape where the middle slider becomes the tone shaper. That is the sound most associated with these amps.
If you start setting the tone controls like you would on a Marshall, it will sound flubby.

Matt and I are both alumni of the John Petrucci forum. You're required to set up a Mark series Boogie within 60 seconds while blindfolded before you can even post over there, so I'm fairly certain he knows what he's doing with the new amp models. :)

Last edited:
The "USA IIC+ bright" is my main high gain amp and after updating, I noticed it was brighter and thinner (much less thick) sounding than before (and louder too, approx 5 db more but that isn't a problem). But with the brt/dp version, I was in familiar territory again so all is well. I still need to tweak it a little more, experiment with the various switches and graphic EQ etc.

The "USA IIC+ bright" is my main high gain amp and after updating, I noticed it was brighter and thinner (much less thick) sounding than before (and louder too, approx 5 db more but that isn't a problem). But with the brt/dp version, I was in familiar territory again so all is well. I still need to tweak it a little more, experiment with the various switches and graphic EQ etc.

I spent a short amount of time last night becoming familiar with the new models and I also found the BRT/DP to be the closest to the old "IIc+ Bright" as well. They all seemed to have less gain and be more "midrangey" sounding than the previous versions.

Do try reloading the firmware. Recently I experienced the phenomenom where a firmware upgrade caused loss of tone / gain.
Reset didn't help. But reloading the firmware fixed it, and I could experience the IIC+'s liquid tone. Can't explain it but it happened.

Also, turn down Bass in the new IIC+ models. It immediately improves the tone, IMHO.

This ^ I played through one for 10 years , "finicky" narrow sweet spot, but when you find it it's good!! Gotta run lows and mids dialed low and add bottom back with the graphic .

For the record, there's no graphic in this particular modeled amp.
You can use it in the model of course.

New IIC+ absolutely slays - I've only tried the bright model so far, but sounds pretty good. Unfortunately, the kids have just gone to bed, so I can't really unleash the fury until tomorrow. :-(

Here's my 100% serious first clip with the new IIC+ and a short review: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-recordings/99023-fw-18-08-iic-careless-whisper.html

I guess it's safe to say that it's a drastic change to the IIC+ we had before. This one definitely takes a bit of time to tweak and actually I realized that it was more about finding the right IR to fit the amp sim. The low end is very different to the Mark IV amp sims. It's very vintagey and crunchy. It's all about that sustain. Sooooo much of it.

This thread kind of reminds me of a song I wrote for my band called "Good Enough". It's basically telling the story how nothing is ever good enough for people these days. Actually it's a story about a guy who does everything to achieve goals set by his parents and when ever he achieves those goals his parents will have new goals ready waiting for him. So basically he finds himself in an endless loop of doing stuff for other people.

The point being... the IIC+ just came out today. If someone gave you a real life IIC+ today would you be talking about other amps that you want to get as fast as possible or would you be playing with the IIC+ that you just got? :) Let Cliff breathe. He will die if he doesn't breathe. :lol

Back
Top Bottom