Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.07 Released

Am I the only one that doesn't like 18.06 or 18.07? I tried it four different times thinking I was crazy but to me it lacks definition and the wind seems to be knocked out of it a bit.

Agree. Lost clarity and definition to my ears, but could be me.. I use stock presets which had been awesome.

Last edited:
How do you get any life out of it? I'm trying to like it, really, but it just sounds really dull. Do you mind sharing your IR choice and amp settings?
It's hard to imagine it sounding lifeless. It's like an AC-30 that's a touch more sophisticated.

I've got it set for a lower-gain rhythm and a mid-gain lead. Gain is 3.65 for rhythm, 6.69 for lead. Amp settings are mostly default, with a touch of treble and mids added. Hi-cut at 4.32.

Cab is stereo UltraRes: 2x12 Matchbox 160 B, with 2x12 Matchbox 160 Back blended in at -20 dB. Both panned to center. Slight delay on the Back. Cab preamp is a Tape type, with Drive at 2.52, Sat at 1.75.

I'm using a very light touch of short delay, adding a heavier 500 ms delay for leads. 'Verb is a hint of Small Room at 0.65 seconds.

Last edited:
It's hard to imagine it sounding lifeless. It's like an AC-30 that's a touch more sophisticated.

I've got it set for a lower-gain rhythm and a mid-gain lead. Gain is 3.65 for rhythm, 6.69 for lead. Amp settings are mostly default, with a touch of bass and mids added. Hi-cut at 4.32.

Cab is stereo UltraRes: 2x12 Matchbox 160 B, with 2x12 Matchbox 160 Back blended in at -20 dB. Both panned to center. Slight delay on the Back. Cab preamp is a Tape type, with Drive at 2.52, Sat at 1.75.

I'm using a very light touch of short delay, adding a heavier 500 ms delay for leads. 'Verb is a hint of Small Room at 0.65 seconds.

Gets me very, very near My old Matchless DC30.

Just wanted to say that this is the best sounding firmware update yet. Maybe it's because I only use UR cabs, but the improvement in this update is massive.

I played last night loud in the rehearsal room with fw 18.07 and it's very impresive - it's now so smooth and creamy - I've played most of the night with the Plexi 100W SLP jump, factory cabs 60 + 61 (Friedmanns) and Cliff's settings on the plexi with little tweaking for my guitars and it's was absolute amazing - for me the best fw-update so far :eagerness:

I'll post a little clip with my Ibanez JEM 10th Anniversary with new pickups from Motor City Pickup (Afwayu) later on tonight (in Germany)

Reactions: trb
He has to throw a few stinkers in there just to see if people are actually listening. :lol

I wasn't expecting such a big difference between the short and long plate preamp tubes when using high gain, but it's a big difference. Short plate is really tight and focused, lots of cut. Long plate is fat and rounded and very smooth.

Short plate for the win. Awesome update.

I played last night loud in the rehearsal room with fw 18.07 and it's very impresive - it's now so smooth and creamy - I've played most of the night with the Plexi 100W SLP jump, factory cabs 60 + 61 (Friedmanns) and Cliff's settings on the plexi with little tweaking for my guitars and it's was absolute amazing - for me the best fw-update so far :eagerness:

I'll post a little clip with my Ibanez JEM 10th Anniversary with new pickups from Motor City Pickup (Afwayu) later on tonight (in Germany)

Yes agree.
had some strange things yesterday, finding the Slp a tad too bassy , but this morning get back to it and that was great .. Bass at 3 mid and tbl from 5 to 7 with presence according to guitar and pickups. Don t know why for yesterday... My ears ? A temporary bugs, disapearing when rebooting ?...Weird...

This fw 18.07 is really a great one. Love the jvm models too. So much great things in that Afx.
Would you mind sharing teh slp presets or just summarize the settings you use (main or advanced param?) ?

had some strange things yesterday, finding the Slp a tad too bassy , but this morning get back to it and that was great ..
The tone of the SLP Jump is highly dependent on how you've got the two gains set up.

Yes agree.
had some strange things yesterday, finding the Slp a tad too bassy , but this morning get back to it and that was great .. Bass at 3 mid and tbl from 5 to 7 with presence according to guitar and pickups. Don t know why for yesterday... My ears ? A temporary bugs, disapearing when rebooting ?...Weird...

This fw 18.07 is really a great one. Love the jvm models too. So much great things in that Afx.
Would you mind sharing teh slp presets or just summarize the settings you use (main or advanced param?) ?

Yes, have a look at the settings - I will post it tomorrow when the axe is connected again......

Reactions: ALE
It never surprises me to see overly defensive people become offended by people who lack tact and diplomacy. Semantics should be banned on this forum. We're mostly grown men on here, yet a a minor few drag a good proportion into arbitrary pissing contests about context, wording and implied tone. Get a grip and be civil or leave the forum. I'm sick to death of it.

Moving on...

I think that a healthy discussion breeds ideas and improvements, so those that question things and sail close to the wind should be commended, because 95% of forum users wouldn't dare question Cliff or any firmware release. Cliff is only human- a really smart, motivated and incredibly intimidating human, but human non the less. There are several features and improvements that we enjoy today that were born out of people challenging (albeit in a constructive way mostly) Cliff and Cliff being the humble and least egocentric person that i've seen on here always takes it under advisement and usually implements such changes. If one thing about all this should stand out, it's that bull shit and petty squabbling take up time and keep him from doing what he does best.

TL;DR Be mindful about how you phrase your comments. Most people are here to help, not to take shit from you. That especially includes Cliff and M@.

Finally updated to 18.07. The last time I redid my patches was way back with 14 or so... also briefly tried Cab Pack 10. For the moment all I can say is WOW. Fantastic improvements in punch, clarity, overall feel and breakup characteristics. Fantastic job, Cliff!
The 65 Bassguy with the G12T keeps me from working on the other patches right now. It just kills my old clean patch with the Super and an OH cab.

If you don't mind my asking , what are Cliffs settings?

Back
Top Bottom