Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.07 Released

What did you have before you updated?

I have been following the updates. I came from 18.04 and I keep going back but it sounds almost brittle and hollow to me. Its not a huge change but enough that I keep going back to 18.04. Running a VHT 2/90/2 and four KRANK cabs.

Am I the only one that doesn't like 18.06 or 18.07? I tried it four different times thinking I was crazy but to me it lacks definition and the wind seems to be knocked out of it a bit.
I do like it. But...

I played 18.04 (or .06) with FAS presets a few days ago for a few hours and doing that again today with 18.07 my impression was that much more of them sounded bassy, muffled, "behind the curtain", etc. Even after resetting twice.
That was (both times) playing through the old bassy Atomics instead of my CLR though.

If there's any truth to my impression at all, it may be because they didn't tweak these presets with 18.07.
Nothing that isn't an easy fix, it seems.

Can't compare to other recent versions, cos hadn't played it in a while.

Simple statement without bad intentions at all.

With all the dithyrambic comments about constant improvements achieved from the start and with this issue from 16.03, can't help thinking how subjective is the brain perception of sound.
Being a poor skilled guitarist myself, wealthy enough to have jumped on an axe XL and pretty happy with it whatever the firmware was, i wonder how many of us fractal fx users, myself included, will be capable of not considering the 14.05 firmware being renamed in FW 25.04 so much superior to the actual 18.07...

i loaded 18.06...was kind of disappointed, but the Community and FAS came together to quickly solve the issue and produce a fix (18.07). I can't believe how fast this has happened. Folks, this the way it's supposed to work. But often, because of mismanagement, arrogance, or whatever usually it doesn't (with other companies). I'm very proud to be a member of this community/team. Thanks!

i loaded 18.06...was kind of disappointed, but the Community and FAS came together to quickly solve the issue and produce a fix (18.07). I can't believe how fast this has happened. Folks, this the way it's supposed to work. But often, because of mismanagement, arrogance, or whatever usually it doesn't (with other companies). I'm very proud to be a member of this community/team. Thanks!

What was disappointing about 18.06? 18.07 fixed a bug dating back to 16.03.

--

In general, let's not let the bug or fix blow things out of proportion. If there is now too much bass in 18.07, just reduce the bass using the myriad parameters available to us. :)

Last edited:
What was disappointing about 18.06? 18.07 fixed a bug dating back to 16.03.

--

In general, let's not let the bug or fix blow things out of proportion. If there is now too much bass in 18.07, just reduce the bass using the myriad parameters available to us. :)

It varies for me from preset to preset depending on which amp/cab combo but I notice not necessarily more bass but a much more natural, open & defined bass. Some presets I left alone, others I lowered the bass, some I increased the bass because it made the sound bigger & fuller without muddiness. I'm not a hi gain palm mute player but I was checking that out for grins & it seems much more precise now. I can clearly hear fast rhythms now that may have been a little muddled up before. Great to have this issue cleared up as I am sure a lot of cabs I didn't like in the past due to lowed issues I might like now. Thanks Cliff & FAS team!!!

Simple statement without bad intentions at all.

With all the dithyrambic comments about constant improvements achieved from the start and with this issue from 16.03, can't help thinking how subjective is the brain perception of sound.
Being a poor skilled guitarist myself, wealthy enough to have jumped on an axe XL and pretty happy with it whatever the firmware was, i wonder how many of us fractal fx users, myself included, will be capable of not considering the 14.05 firmware being renamed in FW 25.04 so much superior to the actual 18.07...
Absolutely, but we also have to keep in mind that UltraRes is an improvement in the cabinet modeling but it isn't like before UltraRes the cabinet modeling sucked. Hell I'm moving towards all UltraRes, but if an old IR is more appropriate I'll use it and I probably won't think "well this sucks."

And all of the improvements were in the amp modeling so there is actual difference there.

BUT...if I was Cliff I would have rebadged a firmware and released it just to see how many people claimed that it cured cancer because I'm a total butthead. :)

Anyone else notice that Delay 2 is messed up on the MIX parm? The value wheel changes the percentage (which is not defaulted at 100%) but the graphic knob on the display does not move to the numeric value??

i loaded 18.06...was kind of disappointed!

I had the same experience. I couldn't put my finger on it but something just seemed "off" and not as in-your-face and full sounding as a few firmware updates ago. As soon as I loaded 18.07 though, everything was back and sounding great again.

I should mention that no update has ever sounded bad. Just occasionally has sounded like one or two things are a bit off. As stated though, fixed before it was even an issue.

Everyone should take the time to read this thread! It not only shows the benefit of having this community and some great members contributing opinions, but really shows the outstanding character and dedication to the product Cliff has.
Kudos all around!

Sent from my iPhone

Couldn't agree more. So much talent and dedication here. I'm often more impressed with the technology (sub-micron DSP architecture anyone?) and Cliff's mastery of audio electronics AND mathematical modeling that make the AXE possible, than the amazing tone it's capable of. I'm 46 and didn't get the guitar bug until I was in my 40's. (second childhood!) It didn't take long to realize the AXE was the only way to go. I guess I'm part of that "new" generation of guitar players (players used lightly and humbly in my case) that will never know what most of the real amps modeled in this thing sound like. That fact that Cliff and Co are tireless in their pursuit of unmatched realism in their modeling, while simultaneously creating the ability to go beyond the real thing is all that matters to me. Just an EXTRAORDINARY thing that is happening here and it's pretty damn cool to be part of it... I mean wasn't it just yesterday that we had Mr. Microphone and Atari pong? :)

mistakes happen and massive props to cliff for the speed on fixing once he realised . we all learn from our mistakes

I do find it suprising multiple cab packs were released in the time ultra res was broken and no one noticed the the IR's werent working correctly in testing

. maybe shows how subtle the difference is ?

this has to be sarcasm, right?
You bet your sweet a**, it is. Thanks for noticing. I get tired of putting smilies after everything.

workflow.png

The last two... I'm am guessing are the URIR's? as they sounded like they were broke.

no.

Part 1 - Full Range sample of 500ms wav files
Part 2 - Full Range sample of Axe-Fx UR IR (170 ms)
Part 3 - Filtered (high pass) version of Part 1
Part 4 - Filtered (high pass) version of Part 2

the UR IR bug did NOT EVER make cabs sound like parts 3 and 4. that was an effected sample to try and pinpoint the frequency problem Spec was hearing.

so yeah, the Full sound vs the "not full" sound was not ever the issue. :)

Last edited:
no.

Part 1 - Full Range sample of 500ms wav files
Part 2 - Axe-Fx UR IR (170 ms)
Part 3 - Filtered (high pass) version of Part 1
Part 4 - Filtered (high pass) version of Part 2

the UR IR bug did NOT EVER make cabs sound like parts 3 and 4. that was an effected sample to try and pinpoint the frequency problem Spec was hearing.

so yeah, the Full sound vs the "not full" sound was not ever the issue. :)

Give this man a cookie. I tried to explain it the best I could, but I realize the thread is long and lots of things happened in the course of said thread.

Back
Top Bottom