Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.06 Released

1. Do the amp block advanced parameters get changed with each new f/w release? Or perhaps just some of them?
2. If not, I'm wondering why this feature was there in the first place.
New firmware doesn't automatically reset the advanced parameters. That's why the feature was provided: to give you a way to do that.

The problem is that some people ran the all-presets reset, and then were upset when the advanced parameters for all their presets had been changed. This could be an issue if they'd tweaked some advanced parameters.

You still have the ability to reset the advanced amp parameters one at a time. This lets you do the reset, decide whether you like those changes, and then save (or not).

Cliff - please reconsider removing the feature because a few knuckle-heads can't handle the full power of the Force.

EDIT: I misunderstood. The utility setting I ALWAYS use to update the amps, is still in there. Sorry about the mixup.

Last edited:
Release Notes:

There are now only two Preamp Tube Type options in the Amp block: Short Plate and Long Plate. The Vintage type has been removed. Short Plate is similar to the previous Modern model but has the improved saturation characteristics that were developed for the Long Plate model.

Not updated yet . Is there any specific adjustment in the Amp advanced parameters that gets us closer to the removed vintage preamp tube type ? Or is it a case of tweaking generally .

On high gain presets, I've had the bright control in the preamp at about 10 or 11 o'clock since it was added (I love that control!).

With 18:06 I've been putting it closer to its neutral 12oclock position.

It seems with every update, I put another 'extra' or advanced parameter back to its default setting. That makes me very happy.

Instead of criticizing us, educate us on its usage.

The description of the parameter has been in the Axe-Fx II Manual for a while now. All the education is right there. Easy to search using any PDF reader. Yet people still did the "All Presets" function and were angry that amps in all their presets were reset.

There's the manual, the wiki, release notes, this forum, my site and live chat, and many other resources available. Yet the same questions are asked again and again. "Why is my USB level so quiet?" "How do I update firmware?" "What is FASlink?"

The Axe-Fx II is a complex device for sure. But people are spending a lot of time creating resources for people to look at. It is a bit frustrating when people say "yeah i see you wrote all that down somewhere, but just tell me the answer, I don't want to read." Yet we still do it and help out :)

I think the "All Presets" function was just too powerful for the general public, so it was taken away. I mean imagine if there was a "Delete All Presets" function... it's obvious what it would do, but some would still do it - either on purpose or accidentally - and then be in trouble. So along with the frustration of people not taking the time to understand, perhaps it's good that this was removed to prevent accidents as well.

The description of the parameter has been in the Axe-Fx II Manual for a while now. All the education is right there. Easy to search using any PDF reader. Yet people still did the "All Presets" function and were angry that amps in all their presets were reset.

There's the manual, the wiki, release notes, this forum, my site and live chat, and many other resources available. Yet the same questions are asked again and again. "Why is my USB level so quiet?" "How do I update firmware?" "What is FASlink?"

The Axe-Fx II is a complex device for sure. But people are spending a lot of time creating resources for people to look at. It is a bit frustrating when people say "yeah i see you wrote all that down somewhere, but just tell me the answer, I don't want to read." Yet we still do it and help out :)

I think the "All Presets" function was just too powerful for the general public, so it was taken away. I mean imagine if there was a "Delete All Presets" function... it's obvious what it would do, but some would still do it - either on purpose or accidentally - and then be in trouble. So along with the frustration of people not taking the time to understand, perhaps it's good that this was removed to prevent accidents as well.

I hit it by accident once as it is (was) right next to the one that updates individual amps. Maybe as a compromise there could be a dialogue that came up after it finnished to either save the changes or cancel. I had a current back up so it was no big deal to recover but there was that moment of panic.:-|

I actually liked the vintage pre-amp tube option. After the update my main preset had more saturation. I actually instantly noticed something had changed. I wouldnt mind the option back.

Holy schnikeys, 18.06 is amazing. Everything that 18.04 lost (which wasn't a ton, but took some tweakin') .06 brought back with a vengeance and than some. Tamed the highs, brought more growl to the gain, just stellar.

Oh, and that flanger reset tweak is the VH bomb. ATBL and Unchained never sounded so "right"!

Said it a bunch of times before and I know I'll say it again, but you are the master, Cliff. I thank you, and my two XLs thank you. :)

YES!!!! I do not know eggsactly :) what happend, but my Axe is back and better than ever.

Either 18.06 swept away something stucked, or Cliff tweaked something, but this is it. It sounds KILLER!!

CAE Lead sound stunning (again), as well as all other amps i tried..... Lonestar :D

I used the Vintage on a lot of my presets, but it's not needed anymore. So don't be afraid!!!

THANK YOU CLIFF. THIS FW IS PURE LOVE!!!

Last edited:
I actually liked the vintage pre-amp tube option. After the update my main preset had more saturation. I actually instantly noticed something had changed. I wouldnt mind the option back.

The Vintage type was the most saturated (and least accurate) of the three.

YES!!!! I do not know eggsactly :) what happend, but my Axe is back and better than ever.

Either 18.06 swept away something stucked, or Cliff tweaked something, but this is it. It sounds KILLER!!

CAE Lead sound stunning (again), as well as all other amps i tried..... Lonestar :D

I used the Vintage on a lot of my presets, but it's not needed anymore. So don't be afraid!!!

THANK YOU CLIFF. THIS FW IS PURE LOVE!!!

There were a couple bugs as well as some improvements. IMHO this is the finest firmware we've ever produced. The new grid conduction modeling makes things "juicier".

Very cool have the tap tempo options. Both methods make a lot of sense, and for a given application I can see myself making use of both. Sometimes that quick last 2 method just makes more sense between songs. Great to have choices

Can't say I miss the 3rd preamp tube option though, as I have to admit I really couldn't tell a huge difference between them in the first place. Just to better understand Cliff's brilliant mind though, would be curious why he changed it, though I no doubt am sure its for the best.

There were a couple bugs as well as some improvements. IMHO this is the finest firmware we've ever produced. The new grid conduction modeling makes things "juicier".

Crap, well, I've been moving and just unpacked my gear this week. Uploaded 18.04 yesterday, and laid down quad tracks for a new song I'm working on. Now, I guess I'll be upgrading to 18.06. My habit of always recording a re-amp track is going to pay dividends.

Back
Top Bottom