Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.04 Public Beta

New 5153 Blue 50w model is awesome! I like it with treble bright engage but I lower the bright value from 1000 to around 200. Gain is around 4 which is more than enough dirt you will ever need! It really sounds and feel like the real amp I played! Amazing model!! And all tube preamps sounds great! I have really accurate and expensive headphones that translate every details and while subtile, you can hear and feel every nuance those tubes bring. My guess is some other types will be add in future update!

Not that I have any desire to do this, but just out of curiosity... now the way to emulate firmware 17.xx is to set the Preamp Tube type to Vintage and Crunch to 0.0%?

Last edited:
Mqo4cbPl.jpg

Thanks for posting the pic...really helped!

So is there a way to set the type globally or do you have to make the change per preset?

I got the chance to mess with the new preamp tube type feature this morning before work... thank you Cliff! This new parameter rocks. Love the "Test" on a lot of my favorite amps

Just to clarify, these aren't tube types right? These are just different algorithms for how a preamp tube reacts. We aren't talking about a tungsol vs a JJ 12AX7?

Just to clarify, these aren't tube types right? These are just different algorithms for how a preamp tube reacts. We aren't talking about a tungsol vs a JJ 12AX7?
nope, "vintage" doesn't mean old tubes and neither does "modern". the terms refer to the algos used to emulate how preamp tubes react. "vintage" is 17.xx, "modern" is 18.xx.

In a way, yes. The clipping behavior is dependent upon the construction of the tube. So-called "long-plate" tubes clip differently than standard tubes. The "Modern" setting replicates a typical modern production tube. The clipping is more aggressive and the linear region is larger. "Vintage" has a smaller linear region and a softer cutoff characteristic. "Test" is a new algorithm that I've been working on that replicates the behavior of those revered "long-plate" tubes.

when i switch from modern to vintage my high E string Broke :lol

Vintage means old. And as we all know: Old strings breaks easier.

Did you get that dull and dead sound of old strings before it broke, or is FW17 so vintage that the string just gave up...

In a way, yes. The clipping behavior is dependent upon the construction of the tube. So-called "long-plate" tubes clip differently than standard tubes. The "Modern" setting replicates a typical modern production tube. The clipping is more aggressive and the linear region is larger. "Vintage" has a smaller linear region and a softer cutoff characteristic. "Test" is a new algorithm that I've been working on that replicates the behavior of those revered "long-plate" tubes.

I like this explanation waaaaaay better than just "modern is 18 and vintage is 17". But even after reading this I'm left with another typical question: Is this new parameter here to stay or will it most likely become obsolete at some point in future firmware releases? Will it become a fundamental option similar to the MIMIC toggle???

Back
Top Bottom