Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.03 and Presets

Second, who on here is taking the 'clean start' approach?? I am nervous but I might do the same... Realistically I have about 10-12 presets I use consistently and I might just nix 'em, start over. Anyone?

I do that every time new presets are released. Though for me the Axe FX (and guitar in general) is entirely a hobby thing - very little chance I will ever need any particular preset for longer than 5 minutes, so all my presets can happily disappear into the ether. I like the clean feeling after scrapping them actually :)

First off thank you FAS for the update, I cannot wait to get my AFX back from my friend....

Second, who on here is taking the 'clean start' approach?? I am nervous but I might do the same... Realistically I have about 10-12 presets I use consistently and I might just nix 'em, start over. Anyone?

Thanks again FAS, so stoked!!

I didn't start with a totally "clean slate" but over the last few days I have pretty much redone, or replaced every amp I started off with from FW17. I even changed some amps I thought I'd never want to change. All of my routings, and effects stayed the same save some minor EQ tweaks in my delay trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't start with a totally "clean slate" but over the last few days I have pretty much redone, or replaced every amp I started off with from FW17.

Thanks guys. Yeah that's basically what I'm thinking I am going to do instead of heavy amount of editing to just build fresh. I think it will be worth it to just "factory reset" everything to the G3 standard and re-build the stuff I need. Rock on guys!!! Thanks Fractal, you're pioneering the guitar world!

Thanks guys. Yeah that's basically what I'm thinking I am going to do instead of heavy amount of editing to just build fresh. I think it will be worth it to just "factory reset" everything to the G3 standard and re-build the stuff I need. Rock on guys!!! Thanks Fractal, you're pioneering the guitar world!

FW 18 seems like the best time to do this; its so damn easy to make a new preset now!

Yep, I plan on resetting everything when I update in the next day or 2.

I had not gone thru factory preset auditioning in some time but did so today after loading the new ones.

Wow! - What a nice sounding collection! Really well balanced and each enjoyable to play.

Congrats to all the FAS folks! 18 really raises the bar all-round. Great accomplishment. Hope you get to take a little break now.

I'm finding the levels in the new presets are all over the place. Is this true for anyone else? Some of them nearly blew my ears off and some were super quiet. My input signal isn't clipping or anything. Any ideas?

I do that every time new presets are released. Though for me the Axe FX (and guitar in general) is entirely a hobby thing - very little chance I will ever need any particular preset for longer than 5 minutes, so all my presets can happily disappear into the ether. I like the clean feeling after scrapping them actually :)
This

I'm finding the levels in the new presets are all over the place. Is this true for anyone else? Some of them nearly blew my ears off and some were super quiet. My input signal isn't clipping or anything. Any ideas?

Sounds like Power Amp Modeling is Off in your Global Menu.

Oh my god this explains everything. I was tearing my hair out about that USB return level glitch XD

next time read my articles first :)

Axe-Fx & Fractal Audio Tutorials | AxeFxTutorials.com

did you actually install the new presets, or just the new firmware? they are separate. what you describe is what happens when you just install the firmware and not the new presets.

Last edited:
Which update do you do?
Update amps defaults or Update Amps all Presets?

If you install the new presets don't the amps get updated doing that?
Sorry, just don't want to mess my self up
Thanks

Loving the presets but when I came across the stock factory Friedman HBE it started popping, cracking an unbearable sound and CPU overload message fired off. I rebooted the XL and went back to preset same thing. It's reading 95% with just an amp/cab and reverb activated.

I copied it to my custom preset area and it acted the same. I deleted 3 muted blocks that I felt I would never use and the CPU dipped to 86% and the preset became usable. I fired up Axe Edit to read the CPU usage but the problem was encountered when I was just rotating the knob on the XL going thru the new presets. Anyone else encountered something similar?

Which update do you do?
Update amps defaults or Update Amps all Presets?

If you install the new presets don't the amps get updated doing that?
Sorry, just don't want to mess my self up
Thanks

You don't need to do those things. Just load the firmware, load the presets and enjoy.

I dunno about others, but I 'm getting a 404 on the 'Original/Mark II' presets. Refresh and Ctrl-Refresh didn't help...

Otherwise V18 sounds great! Cheers to the Fractal Crew!

Loving the presets but when I came across the stock factory Friedman HBE it started popping, cracking an unbearable sound and CPU overload message fired off. I rebooted the XL and went back to preset same thing. It's reading 95% with just an amp/cab and reverb activated.
That's weird. That same preset reads 82% for me, even with USB connected. 95% is definitely into crackling territory.

I fired up Axe Edit to read the CPU usage...
You'll get the most immediately accurate CPU readings from the front panel. Sometimes it takes a few seconds for the CPU reading in Axe-Edit to update.

Back
Top Bottom