Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.00 Public Beta

One thing I noticed for all amps was that the 'range' from clean -> breakup -> distortion seems to be increased and that translates to much improved interaction and expression with the picking hand; you can really 'work' the amps like never before. The tones stay fat and rich even when letting notes ring out and don't thin out; the interactions of the various elements in a tube amps circuitry/ecosystem are much better in G3 and I'm hearing and feeling that big time.

One thing I noticed for all amps was that the 'range' from clean -> breakup -> distortion seems to be increased and that translates to much improved interaction and expression with the picking hand; you can really 'work' the amps like never before. The tones stay fat and rich even when letting notes ring out and don't thin out; the interactions of the various elements in a tube amps circuitry/ecosystem are much better in G3 and I'm hearing and feeling that big time.

Uhmnn, right on that. When plecking strings I have perceived a lot of differenses between my last, forever Bandmaster and 4x10 and the Axe. Dynamics etc. Especially the "ringing out". Now much closer.

:shock :eek: :mask: :hororr: :eek-new: :encouragement:

T-H-E-B-E-S-T-S-O-U-N-D-I-N-G-T-H-I-N-G-I-E-V-E-R-P-L-A-Y-E-D-I-N-A-L-L-M-Y-L-I-F-E!!!!

fullness... fatness... punchiness... richness... harmonics... frequencies everywhere... my room is FULL ... FULL!!!! of guitar sound!!!

Cliff... and all you ppl @FAS... YOU Brothers... are the best incarnation of what a guitar player want!!!!

ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL!!!

Can't believe how BAD was fw17.04!!!! :lol:mrgreen:D

I'm absolutely blown away about how good it sounds .!!

I honestly doubted it could get that much better .. I really did .. was thinking just yesterday,
how can they improve the tone I have .. and today when I saw the beta thread ..
I was thinking ... oh for once I'm gonna be patient and w8 till the final release ..

4-5 pages into this thread I was just hooked ..hehehe I had to try it .. but I never thought it would come out this good ..
instant improvement !!.. took about 2 sec .. and then .. wouwh.. wait a minute ... heheheheh

awesome .. sorry for rambling

thanks again Cliff and FAS and beta team ..

I stopped doubting whether it could be better long ago. Things have been great for a long time and I know that people who aren't in the know (i.e., non-AxeFX owners) don't understand how it can get "more realer" or better with every firmware release, but the difference is that Cliff isn't going in and changing one or two things using the same exact code to just refine one specific thing; he's reinventing the entire way the signal is processed which effects the way the entire system works.

Is it 100% different?
No.

Was it bad before?
No.

Is it better?
You're damn right it is.

It's really incredible ppl!!!

just... wow... watta great player I am!!! :lol

no... really... every single note... is there!... is full&fat&3D... and sound IMPORTANT and BIG!!!
I have no words!!!

Can't believe how BAD was fw17.04!!!! :lol:mrgreen:D

For the first time in years I played the existing firmware for a period of time before upgrading to a new release to get a better sense of what G3 would bring since it was touted as an essentially new platform with totally new modelling under the hood. I seriously loved 17.04 and was thinking of how amazing and satisfying it was as I was playing thru my presets before going to G3; I was in a truly happy place with it, but wanted to get a 'baseline' before I went forward.

Thirty seconds into G3 with the Double Verb was an 'ohhhhh yea' moment right of the bat; the improved feel immediately was tangible vs 17.04 and I was extremely excited to explore the platform....an AxeFX III indeed...wow.

-T808 Mod sounds funny now
Funny, how? I use this pedal quite a bit and hadn't noticed anything that wasn't directly attributable to the amp model changes. I'd be interested in seeing your patch if you think there's a problem -- I can help.

Ok, so we're seeing the usual hyperbole (way back in the past, I think as far back as V3, some folks called the upgrade "a game changer", or "can't ever be any closer to a real amp", or "final destination, no further improvement possible", so...). And other folks have said that they perceive some changes (but not earth-shattering changes). We've even seen some ravings about amp models that haven't even been G3'ed yet (placebo effect, anyone?)...

No offense intended, but I'm looking forward to a balanced, down-to-earth review of V18. Something a little less flamboyant, but closer to reality. All this hype is leaving me lukewarm, when in fact I should be excited about Cliff's progress in this new firmware. So I'd like to know what's real...

(flame suit on)

I play my Axe through a couple of FRFR PA amped speckers.
They are the Montarbo w17 (check the web for the specs!) 600watt each!!!
I wanna suggest that all the Axe owners try the Fw18 with a BIG setup (atomic... matrix or any else like mine) and not with small pc or mixing monitors.
Fw 18 needs AIR THAT MOVE!!! I mean... good power (100watt and up)... big (12" and up) speackers... and big cabs enclosures.
This make justice to this G3 technology!!!
Well... you can record too... and it's BIG too...
but... plz... try that!!! :eek:

Love the update. 18b sounds really good across the board! Don't forget if you want to hot rod your Marshalls..Plexis and JCM 800, set the MV Location to Post PI in advanced settings. Totally changes the JCM 800 to a beast!

I`ve done a apple-to-apple FW17.04 vs FW17 / G3 comparison. Clips and .wav downloads of every reamped sample in both firmwares HERE:

Objektive sound comparison: Fw17.04 vs. FW18 (G3)

In short:
- particular better "tone-attack".
- particular better / more compact bass department
- particular less harsh highs, but smooth and also assertive ones!
- sound feels "rounder", more homogeneous
- particular better / mote pronounced mids, also because of tighter bass / less harshness

I like FW18! No brainer! Feels super comfortable, lesse tweaking, better sound, MORE FUN! Thanks Sir Cliff! :eagerness:

By the way: Have i said, i love the new rotary algorithm? SUPER!

Cant wait to try the firmware..i can't install at the moment so can someone do a demo of the newly revamped Rotary Block??? that would be great, thanks

)... And other folks have said that they perceive some changes (but not earth-shattering changes). We've even seen some ravings about amp models that haven't even been G3'ed yet (placebo effect, anyone?)...

Release notes:
Those (amp models) that have not been fully ported yet will still benefit from the improved algorithms.

We've even seen some ravings about amp models that haven't even been G3'ed yet (placebo effect, anyone?)...
All amps are changed; amps that have had their models totally redone changed more. So it's not placebo.

No offense intended
If you have to start a sentence with this it's time to rethink the sentence.

but I'm looking forward to a balanced, down-to-earth review of V18. Something a little less flamboyant, but closer to reality. All this hype is leaving me lukewarm, when in fact I should be excited about Cliff's progress in this new firmware. So I'd like to know what's real...

(flame suit on)

Offense intended: download it and decide for yourself. In matters of sound, subjective is very likely and only you can decide if it's better, worse or a no-op. Don't expect others to do the heavy lifting behind forming an opinion for you.

(placebo effect, anyone?)...

No offense intended, but I'm looking forward to a balanced, down-to-earth review of V18. So I'd like to know what's real...

(flame suit on)

Offense not perceived!
I'm an old old guy (52!!!) and I play guitar when i was 9!
If you see... I own an Hiwatt ... custom... tube... so I know very well how an amp sound!
No placebo effect here... dude!
This thing is really really impressive!!
if you see... i use words like "fullnes... richness... fatness... punchyness... 3d..." ... if you don't know what I mean... I can't explain better!

Maybe you want measurement?...
No... is not the moment!!!
This moment is... just for... wow!

Back
Top Bottom