Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.00 Public Beta

So I've been able to sit with the new firmware for a little bit now. Wow. Not to jump on the bandwagon, but its definitely a noticeable difference for the better!

(Granted I'm knee deep into an Old Fashion) Favorites so far:
Evh 5153 series (Really made a difference here. Much more like the amps I own now)
Marshall JCM800 (The harshness has gone away, but still has that cutting edge, and just come alive. Much more 3D than before)
Ac-30 TB (Good improvement. Once I got to this amp, I kinda started to notice a similar response to the other amps...still sounds improved. In reality, I LOVE the HW (HOT) version, but that amp really goes by serial numbers, so every amp definitely doesn't sound the same)
Double Verb (It took the whole brightness of the amp, and made it super useable. Again, more 3D type sounding. I begun to notice that the IR's came to life a little more as well.)
Dirty Shirly (I swear, the Friedman amps are the "perfect" amp. I feel the Axe has done this company justice since they put them in the Axe, and this version is on of my Favorites!! Great improvement with the sweetness of this amp!)
Bogner Uber (This amp, even though it has improved, STILL has yet to inspire me as the real amp does. I swear, this amp feels and sounds different in real life. Its closer with this FW, but I'm still not yet sold.)
Friedman HB &HBE (These amps are where I had to just put my guitar down and smile. These amps have breathed new life to an already amazing amp. Seriously, BLOWN AWAY by these models!!)
Peavy 5150 BLOCK (This amp puzzles me. Dont get me wrong, the upgrade in the model is amazing, but I've played this one as well many times in real life, and the Axe has made this one much better than its real life counterpart. I do love this amp though!)
Rectifiers (Hands down, the most significant improvement of them all! I've owned and toured with too many rectifiers and Cliff has finally gotten them right! CHECK THESE OUT!!!)
Shiva LD (Great Great Great!!! My only thing is the drop in Gain??? like a 24% decrease?)
Mesa Mark IV (Must try this Godly amp!!!!)
Trainwreck series (AMAZING!!!!! Mid-gain amp has turned a whole new leaf. Great Job!!!)

Thank you again Cliff and Co.!!

Blah! Time for another old fashioned...

Are you actually arguing over the spelling of Freidmand/Friedman?

For me, I have to start over. My presets are louder, there is quite a bit more bass response, do I hear less gain in a few? Why is sag so low on most of the amps I use? The gate seems to cut earlier than before. Early in the game for me, but I have some work ahead.

I hear some good stuff here, don't get me wrong, but as with all major's for me, it's a 'start from scratch' deal...

R

Axe-Fx II Firmware Release Notes

18.00 Public Beta

This firmware incorporates all-new amp modeling algorithms. With this update the Axe-Fx II now incorporates our “G3 Amp Modeling Technology”. G3 modeling improves upon G2 modeling with better touch sensitivity, better dynamics, better distortion texture (or “grain”) with less fizz, more crunch and improved frequency response accuracy.

Not all amp models have been fully converted to take advantage of G3 modeling as of this beta. Those that have been fully ported are indicated by “(G3)” after the model name on the Pre page of the Amp block. Those that have not been fully ported yet will still benefit from the improved algorithms.

The Rotary block has been completely revised. It is recommended to reset the block in any existing presets by double-clicking the Bypass button to load the default values. Also, the Rotary block now supports X/Y which simplifies slow/fast switching.

This beta version does not fully support Axe-Edit so front panel editing is recommended.

Note:: Not all amp models have been fully converted to take advantage of G3 modeling as of this beta. Those that have been fully ported are indicated by “(G3)” after the model name on the Pre page of the Amp block which is viewable by using the front panel of the Axe-FX at this time.

So I've been able to sit with the new firmware for a little bit now. Wow. Not to jump on the bandwagon, but its definitely a noticeable difference for the better!

(Granted I'm knee deep into an Old Fashion) Favorites so far:
Evh 5153 series (Really made a difference here. Much more like the amps I own now)
Marshall JCM800 (The harshness has gone away, but still has that cutting edge, and just come alive. Much more 3D than before)
Ac-30 TB (Good improvement. Once I got to this amp, I kinda started to notice a similar response to the other amps...still sounds improved. In reality, I LOVE the HW (HOT) version, but that amp really goes by serial numbers, so every amp definitely doesn't sound the same)
Double Verb (It took the whole brightness of the amp, and made it super useable. Again, more 3D type sounding. I begun to notice that the IR's came to life a little more as well.)
Dirty Shirly (I swear, the Friedman amps are the "perfect" amp. I feel the Axe has done this company justice since they put them in the Axe, and this version is on of my Favorites!! Great improvement with the sweetness of this amp!)
Bogner Uber (This amp, even though it has improved, STILL has yet to inspire me as the real amp does. I swear, this amp feels and sounds different in real life. Its closer with this FW, but I'm still not yet sold.)
Friedman HB &HBE (These amps are where I had to just put my guitar down and smile. These amps have breathed new life to an already amazing amp. Seriously, BLOWN AWAY by these models!!)
Peavy 5150 BLOCK (This amp puzzles me. Dont get me wrong, the upgrade in the model is amazing, but I've played this one as well many times in real life, and the Axe has made this one much better than its real life counterpart. I do love this amp though!)
Rectifiers (Hands down, the most significant improvement of them all! I've owned and toured with too many rectifiers and Cliff has finally gotten them right! CHECK THESE OUT!!!)
Shiva LD (Great Great Great!!! My only thing is the drop in Gain??? like a 24% decrease?)
Mesa Mark IV (Must try this Godly amp!!!!)
Trainwreck series (AMAZING!!!!! Mid-gain amp has turned a whole new leaf. Great Job!!!)

Thank you again Cliff and Co.!!

Blah! Time for another old fashioned...

I have a "holy grail" Block Letter 5150 (supposedly). It sounds way better than most 5150s for some reason which is a good thing for you guys. I think it's partly due to the fact that it has a bias mod so it's biased a bit warmer than a stock version.

The original Shiva models were based on a borrowed amp. We now have a 20th Anniversary Shiva (with KT66s) and the new models are based on that amp. We did notice that this amp has less gain than the one used originally but the model is faithful to the amp.

I have a "holy grail" Block Letter 5150 (supposedly). It sounds way better than most 5150s for some reason which is a good thing for you guys. I think it's partly due to the fact that it has a bias mod so it's biased a bit warmer than a stock version.

The original Shiva models were based on a borrowed amp. We now have a 20th Anniversary Shiva (with KT66s) and the new models are based on that amp. We did notice that this amp has less gain than the one used originally but the model is faithful to the amp.

Ah that would definitely make sense about the 5150. That amp really sounds great.

As far as the gain for the Shiva, definitely doesn't take away from the amp at all. I feel that's what the input trim is there for. The amp sounds phenomenal and still a go-to amp for me for that modern mid-gain sound.

At first I was not sure about 18, I did notice my sat switch was off on my 5153 red for some reason. Bug? After messing around with almost the whole list of amps I found that so many more were usable for me than before. Whats the crunch knob for? We have gain and such already? I'm never really sure until I go back to previous firmware and play thru it again to compare. It seems we have winner! Like you need my opinion right??? Don't answer that. Cliff and crew you did a great job and thanks so much!

At first I was not sure about 18, I did notice my sat switch was off on my 5153 red for some reason. Bug? After messing around with almost the whole list of amps I found that so many more were usable for me than before. Whats the crunch knob for? We have gain and such already? I'm never really sure until I go back to previous firmware and play thru it again to compare. It seems we have winner! Like you need my opinion right??? Don't answer that. Cliff and crew you did a great job and thanks so much!

Sat should be off on the 5153 Red now as things work differently.

Crunch makes things more crunchy. It controls the distortion texture when you hit a note or chord.

guys anyone here having problem with tonematch presets?? my main rhythm tone is based on a tone match is there going to be any problems once i update?
thanks

FYI, the Beta 18 model defaults to KT88s, not KT66s...

Cliff and team,

Has there been any talk about creating a new set of presets (all Banks), that will take all of the new wonderful coding into account? Just seems like a hell of a good time. I'm sure you have little extra time, but giving the full experience to the person playing (maybe even more important for those new buyers, so the full scope slaps them in the face, as it were) sure seems like a smart move. Sorry if this has already been broached. I didn't see anything along these lines.

Cheers,
Lee

Back
Top Bottom