Axe-Fx II Firmware 17.04 Released

Improved power amp modeling. This results in better touch sensitivity, more explosive dynamics and improved low note clarity when the virtual power amp is driven hard.

Improved power amp cathode squish accuracy by accounting for dependency on bias point.

This version adds a new method of capturing User IRs: “Mic + DI” method. The method used to capture IRs is set in the Global menu. Mic Only is the traditional method and uses a single input into Input 2 Left as the response from which the IR is derived. Mic + DI uses both Input 2 Left and Input 2 Right. The mic response (i.e. preamp output) is input into Input 2 Left as usual while the output of a DI box (or DI output on an amp) is input into Input 2 Right. Both responses are captured and the response from the Right input is used to correct the response from the Left input. This accomplishes the same thing as using Reference Compensation in Cab-Lab but is done at capture time rather than during post-processing.

The advantage to the Mic + DI technique is that it allows almost any amp to be used. A flat, solid-state amplifier is not required. Any amp, whether solid-state or tube, with or without integrated preamp can be used. For example a tube guitar head can be used as the “power amp”. You can even plug right into the front of the head (as opposed to using the power amp input or effects return), even if the head is set to heavy distortion. The unique capture technique of the Axe-Fx removes any distortion from the measurement and completely separates the amp response from the speaker response yielding a pure and accurate IR.

To use the Mic/Line + DI method do the following:
1. Connect the line output of your mic preamp to Input 2 Left.
2. Connect a DI box between the amplifier output and speaker input. Be sure to use a DI box that is specifically designed to work with speaker level signals and one that does not have any on-board cabinet emulation. You can also use the DI output of your amp if it has one as long as it is not a speaker emulated output.
3. Connect the output of the DI box to Input 2 Right.
4. Connect Output 2 Left of the Axe-Fx to the input of the amp.
5. Set the IR Capture Method in the Global menu to Mic + DI.
6. Set the Input 2 Mode in the I/O->Audio menu to Stereo.
7. Capture the IR as usual either using the front panel or Cab-Lab.

Suitable DI boxes include:
Suhr ISO Line Out Box
Pro Co DB1
Whirlwind Director
Whirlwind Direct2
ART ZDirect
Behringer Ultra-DI DI100
Behringer Ultra-G GI100 (with cab emulator off)
Behringer Ultra-DI DI600P

Superior results may be obtained using the line out of an attenuator with the attenuation turned off since the frequency response will typically have more low frequency extension than common DI boxes.

Some amps have DI or slave outputs that are simple resistive dividers and work great for this purpose. These include:
Mesa Boogie Mark IV/V
Mesa Rectifier Series

This update really works for me. Maybe it's the root beer but my tone is perfect tonight. Thanks to everyone! These a7x's are rocking.

Is this much different from the "beta"? Should I go ahead and upload this version? Thanks for all you do...much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom