Axe-Fx II Firmware 16.04.1 Released

Thanks again FAS. Really excited about all those Reverb “models”. From what I can tell, a lot of them are using the same existing algorithms, just with new pre-defined values. London plate for instance surely is using the plate reverb engine that’s already in the Axe Fx 2. What’s really exciting to me is that we’re likely to see a lot of the same treatment to all the other blocks as well so I’m hoping 16.0.5 will give us 20 new delay “models”. I know, I know - use your ears… but having good solid start values are very important to quickly being able to dial in sounds. It’s all very exciting.

Cliff has stated that many of these effects are essentially different forms of delay, I'm wondering if there will be a Reaganomic trickle down type situation with the other blocks.

The bright cap value defaults wrong; it should be about 825pF.

The SLP isn't a direct duplicate of a particular circuit, it's based upon two amps that Fliegler and Colby found (Ritchie's book describes it) when they were sent out to find "the" plexi Marshall tone. There are a couple places where components are built up to match measured values in those amps, rather than schematics - hence the 820 ohm cathode resistor on the bright channel.

The bright volume has a 1000pF in parallel with "standard" 4700pF, the mixer resistor on that channel has a 120pF in parallel with the "standard" 470pF, and the first stage coupling cap (2200pF) has a 470pF across it.

1000 pF in parallel with 4700 pF is 5700 pF. Capacitors in parallel add. I rounded down to 5000 pF because 5700 pF was too bright IMO. It's probable that the 1000 pF was added in parallel because the 4700 pF cap was actually lower than the marked value. In those days the typical tolerance for a capacitor was +/- 20% which means that a 4700 pF cap could be as low as 3700 pF. Putting a 1000 pF across it would bring it back to 4700 pF.

Relying on "measured" values in a 50-year old amp is a fool's errand. Component drift over that amount of time can be upwards of 50% or more.

Thanks again FAS. Really excited about all those Reverb “models”. From what I can tell, a lot of them are using the same existing algorithms, just with new pre-defined values. London plate for instance surely is using the plate reverb engine that’s already in the Axe Fx 2. What’s really exciting to me is that we’re likely to see a lot of the same treatment to all the other blocks as well so I’m hoping 16.0.5 will give us 20 new delay “models”. I know, I know - use your ears… but having good solid start values are very important to quickly being able to dial in sounds. It’s all very exciting.

The algorithms were completely rewritten. It should be readily apparent but depending upon your hearing, monitors and other factors it may not be noticeable.

Thanks So Much!

Dear Cliff ~ Thanks so much!!! I really can't say enough about how you work so relentlessly to make this amazing box even better. I believe we all feel privileged to have such a bright and gifted person at the helm of this awesome starship called the Axe-FX. Please know your efforts are deeply appreciated here in So Cal, and 'Diamondville' as well!!!

Last edited:
One day the name of Cliff will be near the names of Leo Fender, Jim Marshall, Lester William Polfuss (aka Les Paul) in a All Star panel of the genius that made the story of the guitars and amps sound!
I'm an half century old guy who started to play guitar and buy stuff when I was 9 y.o.: never had in my entire life a so wanderful experience like the one i'm living now with the Axe and FAS!

Wow I just updated the other day. Checked out the reverbs (Mind blowing) for hours. Took some family time, come back and there is not one but 2 updates ! and on the weekend ! FAS is incredible. Thanks FAS crew you guys rock !

In exchange for tolerating the bugs in the last release here is a small present for you. Use this in conjunction with the new 1959SLP Treble model for some "toan of teh godz".
So if I got this right, you gave us a gift with the new reverbs
Then you added two new amps - another gift

But you thought we deserved another gift for tolerating the bugs...?

You are a true gentleman and a saint.
Thank you Sir.

dunno if some of you Brothers in Axe... have noticed that the nu verbs add some magic to the tone!
I mean... not only just the beautiful verb fx added... but the overall tone ... it's like a super fine sandpaper that smooth and warm the overall tone!
In the real gear there is the T-Rex delay (the brown one) that make this kind of magic to the overall sound!

Added 1959SLP Normal and Treble amp models based on a Marshall 100W “Super Lead Plexi” model no. 1959. What difference those two amps have ,compare to PLEXI 100W HIGH (based on Marshall Super Lead 1959, 100w) what we have already?

If I'm understanding correctly, the new 1959SLP model is from a reissue 100 watt Plexi, just as our existing
1987X is based on a reissue 50W Plexi. The vintage 100W model is what we had prior to 16.04. Cool.
Cliff is such a "Marshall guy"!

The algorithms were completely rewritten. It should be readily apparent but depending upon your hearing, monitors and other factors it may not be noticeable.

Apologies, my bad. I can definitely hear that the reverbs sound better :). My assumption was really that not only does there seem to be more models, there also seems to be more variants of the same models and that I assume that for instance the London plate uses the same reverb algorithm as the medium plate?

Back
Top Bottom