Axe-Fx II Firmware 16.04.1 Released

One is new the other is old. The old one has a 2.7K cathode resistor on the first stage, the new one has an 820 ohm. They sound different. Use whichever sounds better to you.

I'm lovin the SLP treble with the pre rola gb c414! and the verbs? world class!! just when you thought you had it all, you fall in love all over again. a sincere thank you for all you do! Now I'm not as upset i had to cancel tonights show.

Last edited:
I gotta admit that post-surgery, I had to give 16.04 a whirl so I worked out a solution. I sat on the floor and slowly pulled my guitar to my lap so I technically was not "lifting" it. I pulled up a preset and messed with the reverb. Sounds awesome!!! I thought there was just going to be the same reverb with a "high" setting but was surprised to see a bunch of new reverbs!!

Later, maybe I'll play with the new Marshall. :)

Just playing with the new 1959SLP amp (Treble) and you can really get that old school Green Day (Dookie Mod) tone. I'm using the cab F149 (V30's) and it sounds pretty damn close. Rolling off the volume knob cleans it up perfectly. Rad Amp!

:shock:eek::encouragement: Damn.... Don't stay away to long or you will miss Genius of Fractal! Thanks again Cliff and team.

Over the years there have been some incremental improvements to the firmware that received some over reaction from the user base....to the point that it's just been kind of a parody of sorts. I mean there is good and then there is frickin' hyperbole and unfortunately about 99% of stuff in life just doesn't live up to it.

The last few releases are just staggeringly good.

Now I'm not a reverb connoisseur because I only really use a handful of settings, but I am a reverb addict because even if it's only at like 5% mix I've got to have it in there. It's not even like the same damn effect block anymore. It's a frickin' homerun of excellence.

I just put together a patch with the new 59SLP Treble with the new cab that Cliff gifted us. Monstrous. Epic. Whatever, it's just kickass on another level.....but I've learned my lesson far too many times because I know that as good as this is it's not over.

What a frickin' journey owning a AxeFXII is.

^^^ what sasha said... i did the 59 slp treble, the new cab, new studio verb and a 5 band passive at the end, sounds glorious.

One is new the other is old. The old one has a 2.7K cathode resistor on the first stage, the new one has an 820 ohm. They sound different. Use whichever sounds better to you.

The bright cap value defaults wrong; it should be about 825pF.

The SLP isn't a direct duplicate of a particular circuit, it's based upon two amps that Fliegler and Colby found (Ritchie's book describes it) when they were sent out to find "the" plexi Marshall tone. There are a couple places where components are built up to match measured values in those amps, rather than schematics - hence the 820 ohm cathode resistor on the bright channel.

The bright volume has a 1000pF in parallel with "standard" 4700pF, the mixer resistor on that channel has a 120pF in parallel with the "standard" 470pF, and the first stage coupling cap (2200pF) has a 470pF across it.

1959 SPL Treble is THAT Marshall sound!! Great dynamics and pick attack! I can really nail that Early George Lynch tone from Back for the attack! The key is to keep the gain pretty low with Master volume crank! This way, you get a percussive and clear tone! No need to put any overdrive in front of the amp for me. Just pure thunder amp tone!!

Thank you Cliff! You rock man! Still in XMAS heaven with the new verb stuff from 16.03 and now this quick fix and additional gifts.... have to check it out soooooooooon :) Thank you Sir!

Wow the new verbs sound nice, along with everything else in the box. Truly one of the best guitar related products I have ever purchased. And it just keeps getting better! Thanks FAS for all your great work!

Cliff, my man!!!! whatever you did to the reverbs is totally badass, I always enjoy playing the AXE II now, specially after firmware 10, but tonight after the update, I put on a recent patch that I created from scratch and OMG the reverb is SO SO SO SO SWEET!!!! Dare I say that finally they're starting to match the badassness of the Amp and Cab modeling? All I know is my fingers will be getting a great workout tonight, thanks!!!!

Back
Top Bottom