Axe-Fx II Firmware 16.02 Released

Doing it from Axe-Edit (latest 3.1.1). Will try front panel tonight.
Thanks!

I had the same problem .... Quoted from member Johan Allard:
Just a quick reminder - if you updated to 16.0.2 yesterday and used the previous Axe Edit, you need to manually refresh the block definitions in Axe Edit 3.1.1 (Preferences -> Refresh) for it to read the new block configuration like the new Intelligent Gate. Can’t wait to try that out at volume!

Ok, I've seen this mentioned, but I guess I'm missing something still... the intelligent gating, that's only on the input gate, correct? I refreshed my block definitions and still don't see it in the gate block on the grid...?

Besides trying to figure that out, this FW is a homerun! Very VERY cool tools in the box! I'm personally digging the new fast rms & verb ducking the most - so far :)

Ok, I've seen this mentioned, but I guess I'm missing something still... the intelligent gating, that's only on the input gate, correct? I refreshed my block definitions and still don't see it in the gate block on the grid...?

Correct. Only on the input gate.

So I go to rehearsal last night where I have about 25 custom presets for all kinds of songs. I forgot to bring a cable to plug in my MFC-101. I set the AXE to a cranked Plexi patch and rode my guitar volume throughout the evening and was basically in tonal Nirvanna most of the night. I love that the Axe can be used just like an amp when needed or it can give you endless variety if you don't forget to bring all your cables.

I had some spare time today, so I spent it in The Bubble (tm). Axe, CLR, and three other random active speakers in surround, so loud that my skull resonates. <3 The Variac and dynamics controls are awesome!

Last edited:
It's the transformer stuff. I'm surprised more people haven't commented as it was very noticeable to me. The high end is clear and bell-like but without the fizzies. You can turn the Presence all the way up (like you would on a dimed Plexi) and it doesn't get harsh.

Im sorry Cliff. Perhaps my first response was too "wordy", but this was what I was referring to :D

Holy Shit!

Would it be accurate to think of this new FW as (depending on how you set it of course) a return to some of the more idealized, opposed to purely accurate, amp tones of pre FW10 ?

FW9 for example, had a bunch of fans who liked the kind of studio ready ideal guitar tones, while it seemed like FW10 pushed things to a new level of realism, touch sensitivity etc. Responded more like a real amp and some folks missed the studio polish of earlier FW.

In 16.02, with things like the dynamics knob, it seems we have the option to take an amp past the limits of an accurate model, to a bit more of an idealized tone. Seems great to me, and naturally one doesn't have to use such settings if they want to. In my mind, this seems like a great direction to go, because while I appreciate 99.9% accurate models, I think its also pretty cool to use the freedom of the virtual amp to allow for tones and features simply not possible with a real amp.

Its like the Matrix if you will.... sure you can follow the rules of reality, OR, you can tell yourself there is no spoon, so to speak, and take your amp to new levels

What is everyone's opinion on this ?

No. I do not agree with your assessment; but it is in the semantics. Not in the details.

It offers you new 'no-brainer' tools to go way beyond just being accurate. So you *can* 'idealize' it (though I'd use different terms). But at defaults it's essentially more accurate to source.

New tools do not make the race car. They can just offer you new ways to tune it. The starting point of your race car is more accurate to source. What you do with the tools offered now is up to you.

What I think the key is here with this particular firmware, IMHO, is that the tools are simple. Turn it up, better or worse? Turn it down, better or worse? Trust your ears and have fun. That's what x16.02 is to me.

I agree with Scott in it's getting easier.

The new Dynamics control is just so nice. One simple adjustment to open up or close down an amp. Couldn't be easier for me.

It seems ridiculous but we are indeed in 'everything sounds better' territory. I know because I can't put my damn guitar down...

Max spankage has indeed been achieved. Crank the Treble and Presence on those Marshalls and hyper-realism awaits. No ice-picks here… and don't even get me started on the Vox's…

Fear not the Bright Switch ladies…

definitely since 16, probably since 15 actually, for me, i just drop an amp in, drop a cab in and it sounds great. it's always been less tweaks as the FW improves, but now i barely do a thing, honestly.

case in point, people asking me for presets from my recent videos - i literally dropped the amp and cab in and played.

It's updates like this that make me glad I bought an Axe-FX. I can do so much more with this little black box than I ever could with a tube amp, and never once pick up a screwdriver, or soldering iron, much less make those changes on the fly LIVE. I'm gonna go play guitar now...

Back
Top Bottom