Axe-Fx II Firmware 16.02 Released

This is one hell of a firmware release!! The first thing I did was playing around with the AC voltage and I think that's what everyone should do once the FW update is done. Fire up a virtual plexi style amp and lower the virtual voltage step by step :D I still can't believe that this feature finally came to fruition! Thanks Cliff!

Arghhh!!!! I just got done playing for two hours and I'm kicking myself for not checking the forum beforehand to see this wonderful update. Alas, sleep calls and I'll just have to install it tomorrow morning......so I can lose myself playing with all these new goodies. Thanks FAS!

Thank FAS as usual. Just played for an hour or so and noticed that it did sounds better. Haven’t played around with any new features yet but looking forward to tomorrow. Always a great day when there’s a new firmware to play with :)

thank you very much FAS but i have one problem i just download the firmewire and when i try to install it with fractal bot he didn,t apears to begin the update the folder is empthy
i never head this problem with the other firmewire
sory for my bad english

Can't wait.. to test this. Gigged last weekend and audience feedback was : awesome tone.. great fx (flanger, chorus, delay...) mainly on the cleans..
Only comment I got is that the drives lack power.. It might be me not being able to get everything out of them but.... in case you have a spare day/week Cliff (which i Doubt) would love FAS team make the different drives even better...Then, not one competing product can beat you !

Tx again for the continuous support.

Hi cliff. Awesome update ! Thanks :)

I see that Citrus Terrier amp model,now defults to Hicut at 0. Is this right ?
I seem to remember that i was at 5,in older FW ??

I really can't say how, i ust flipped the power switch on again and wham empty slots.

I thought I had them backed up, but that was on my old hard disc

Improved Amp block output transformer modeling. New algorithm more accurately simulates effects of inter-winding capacitance and the resulting load on the virtual power tubes. This results in improved high frequency response. Tones have more “chime” without being harsh. This is especially noticeable for amps with low negative feedback or when the Presence is turned up high.

Added Slope parameter to SPKR page in Amp block. This parameter allows fine adjustment of the high-frequency impedance of the virtual voice coil (which affects the slope of the impedance curve). A speaker voice coil is “semi-inductive” due to eddy current losses in the motor. This presents an impedance to the power amp that isn’t fully inductive nor fully resistive. The amount of resistive loss varies by brand and type. Reducing the Slope simulates a speaker that is less inductive, increasing Slope simulates a speaker that is more inductive. Typical speakers range from 3.0 to 4.5 with the median being about 3.7. Lower values yield greater midrange while higher values are more scooped and sizzly.

Improved Compressor block by adding a new dynamics processing algorithm. The block has been renamed Comp/Dynmc in light of this. There are now four types of dynamics algorithms: Studio Compressor, Pedal Compressor 1, Pedal Compressor 2, and Dynamics. The Dynamics algorithm allows compression or expansion with a single control. When the Dynamics parameter is set to negative values the block compresses the signal, when set to positive values the block expands the signal.

Added “Fast RMS” Detector type to Studio Comp type in Compressor block. This detector type mimics the fast detectors in classic rack-mount compressors.

Added “Dynamics” control to amp block. This parameter controls a dynamics processor that can be used to alter the dynamic response of the amp algorithms. When set below zero the amp compresses resulting in a smoother, less dynamic sound. When set greater than zero the amp expands resulting in a punchier, crunchier and more dynamic sound. Note that extreme values can have undesirable side-effects such as pumping and clipping.

Added AC voltage control to Amp block. This parameter, called “AC Voltage (Variac)” in the Advanced menu sets the relative AC line voltage into the amp simulation implementing a virtual “Variac”. Note that normally the volume would vary with the Variac setting in a real amp but the simulation compensates for the volume change by applying the inverse. This mitigates having to manually compensate using the Output Level.

Improved Noise Gate. The noise gate now features two types: “Classic” and “Intelligent”. The Classic type is unchanged from previous firmwares and is a basic downward expander. The Intelligent type features faster and more stable gating along with a proprietary noise reduction algorithm.

Added ducking to Reverb block. The ducking works analogously to the ducking in the Delay block.

Added “Class-A 30W Hot” amp model based on a Vox AC30HW with the Hot/Cool switch in the Hot position.

Moved Spkr Drive parameter in Amp block to Advanced menu page.

Fixed Angle Severe models oscillating if Presence turned way down.

Fixed wrong Low Cut Freq in AC-20 Dlx Treb model.

Fixed several errors in the Citrus Terrier amp model.

Fixed Global menu Reverb Mix value display being overwritten.

Wow!

I love the fact that even the finest details are being modelled in the AFX, like the xformer inter-winding capacitance.

With anything audio related, it's often the sum of the combination of small details which make a huge difference to the end result.

I spent about 6 months with FW10 when it first came out, trying to get a really great tone and failing. Of course there's the learning curve associated with the axe itself, so my own initial unfamiliarity of the unit was partly to blame, but I never felt that I could get the amp models to react properly.

Since fw16.01 I've noticed amp models feeling less linear and more analogue. That elusive 'wildness' which is so easy to achieve with a real amp is now almost as easy to achieve in the AFX.

Thanks to Cliff and all those at FAS, you guys are the best.

I can't wait to try 16.02 tomorrow!

here's a short clip that i didn't play too well from rehearsal tonight :) 16.02, i think it's the VH4 channel 4 when the gain kicks in.

Back
Top Bottom