Axe-Fx II Firmware 16.01 Released

Holy buckets. I just got a pickup change on my guitar that really fits what I'm after a lot better (went from BKP Painkillers to Holydivers). FW 16 is now the total icing on the cake. I simply cannot believe that this thing just keeps getting better. At first I thought the changes were subtle, but I started really reworking my presets and EQ settings and things really started to take shape. I have gotten rid of drive pedals as boosts for my heavy sounds. I have replaced them with graphic eq (pedal style) and boosted the frequencies I want, cutting the frequencies I don't. I don't boost the volume into the amp anymore. I just dial in the MV until I'm getting the open sound I'm looking for and dial gain to taste.

I've been messing with the low res frequency and power amp low cut and getting tight for thumpy, wonderfully natural, and lively sounding amp tones. Using the passive EQ after the cab block to cut lows and highs as needed and maybe boost a bit here and there, and freaking Bob is your uncle. No more flub. No more shrill highs. Super clean but natural sounding mixes. Room for bass guitar which is now clearer and punchier.

I'm finding the recto easier to dial. I'm still a little wonky on the 5153 but I never did really get along with it a great deal. I'm getting the best FAS Modern tones I've ever had. And for the love of all that is pure... I'm actually enjoying the hell out of the VH4. Not just getting along with it... but enjoying the hell out of it. Also, the Uber is OUT. FREAKING. STANDING. Now... off to dial in more amps. THANKS A BUNCH FAS! YOU ROCK!

+100000000
The VH4 ch3 has become my favorite for bludgeoning, heavy high gain, SUPER tight and aggressive. The Uber absolutely kills at thick but distinct high gain chording and riffs. And like I said earlier, the 5153 Red has become my favorite for leads, just super liquid but still tight in the lows. SpecSpec, if you're not diggint it yet, maybe try swapping out different tonestacks or playing with the PA hardness... both of those really delivered with the 5153 for my tastes.

You know what's funny - sometime in the not too distant future , the Axe will sound even BETTER!! And better after that.
How the heck is that possible?

Sorry I didn't read every post, so if this is a repeat, disregard. When I uploaded 16.00 I received an error message from FractalBot that I didn't need to manually put my Axe into update mode. Well, I didn't actually do this, and I pressed the Recall button and tried again and all went well. I just went through the upload of 16.01 and the exact same thing. Just wanted to share. Second time through on 16.01 went fine. May be some issue in the installer??

+100000000
The VH4 ch3 has become my favorite for bludgeoning, heavy high gain, SUPER tight and aggressive. The Uber absolutely kills at thick but distinct high gain chording and riffs. And like I said earlier, the 5153 Red has become my favorite for leads, just super liquid but still tight in the lows. SpecSpec, if you're not diggint it yet, maybe try swapping out different tonestacks or playing with the PA hardness... both of those really delivered with the 5153 for my tastes.

Oh I've put the Power Amp Hardness to Hard on all my high gain patches. It's not that I HATE the 5153, but I've always felt I had better options to suite my tastes. Although I can see where for leads it would be a tasty warm delight... ahem... What tonestack did you swap?

Also, I feel like I need to just say one more thing: Freidman HBE. Holy. Shitbuckets.

Oh I've put the Power Amp Hardness to Hard on all my high gain patches. It's not that I HATE the 5153, but I've always felt I had better options to suite my tastes. Although I can see where for leads it would be a tasty warm delight... ahem... What tonestack did you swap?

Also, I feel like I need to just say one more thing: Freidman HBE. Holy. Shitbuckets.

I put the "German" TS in my presets for the VH4, Uber, and 5153. I love it for heavy rhythm tones, and didn't want a drastic departure for leads. I'm getting instant InFlames modded 5150 lead tones with it now! The Gibtone TS is also really killer for leads while still being somewhat similar to the German stack IMO.
Honestly, dropping the German TS in along with "Modern" voicing is a cure-all for just about any heavy ultra-high-gain preset I make along with a little passive EQing. Now I'll be adding "Hard" PA to that formula.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the Uber model was one of my favorites for high gain leads until I decided to dedicate it to high gain rhythm... I'll try that tonestack in the 5153 tonight to see how it sounds. I'll probably have to neuter a lot of the lows (just like I did with the Uber when playing lead), but I'll bet it would play great.

In case this hasn't been posted yet...

Improved Drive block algorithms for types based on the Tube Screamer.

Fixed thumping when switching amp types.

Fixed crackling when running two instances of the same amp.

I guess tonight's agenda has some tube screaming on it.

My ass is going to try out w/a new band tonight...w/16.01 loaded and ready to rock. Thanks FAS!

BTW, I hope I get the gig, this group is lined up to play nudist camp...a first for me in 40 years of playing, if I get the gig.

If you get the gig you must add "You Can Leave Your Hat On." to the set list for that show.

hey does anyone know how the dizzy ch3 is? i can't download firmware till tonite. Anyone??

IDK if any changes were made to that model specifically, but in case you didn't read the past few posts above yours, it's awesome! Highly recommended!

My ass is going to try out w/a new band tonight...w/16.01 loaded and ready to rock. Thanks FAS!

BTW, I hope I get the gig, this group is lined up to play nudist camp...a first for me in 40 years of playing, if I get the gig.

It is a bit... different to play that type of gig.:shock I've played a number of shows at 'Nudestock', and after a few songs you adjust (fortunately, it is in the contract that the band has to keep their clothes on!)

You WILL see some things that are definitely TMI, though...

Good luck,
TT

Can anyone describe the tonal/response differences with the new tube screamers?

They sound better.:)

In case anyone one is wondering, I've been told that all of the following are variants of the TS drive and should have the same benefits:
TS808
TS808 Mod
Super OD
Full OD
BB Pre
Eternal Love
Zen Master
LED Drive

HTH,
TT

So I had some time today to do some Tone Matches of Version 16 to the real amps. In previous firmwares there was always some error in the bass frequencies. I was shocked to see that the error is now virtually eliminated.

This is the red channel of a 5150 III.

IMG_0671.JPG

E6VB7s5.gif

Back
Top Bottom