Axe-Fx II Firmware 16.01 Released

...it would seem I picked the perfect week to change the pickups in my guitar and take a few days off from work. FAS, God, and I have the best coordination of any trio I have ever seen!

Does the new automated preset update process only pertain to presets stored within the Axe at the time of the firmware update or will the new firmware update amps accordingly on a per preset import, i.e. importing a single preset via AE that was created on earlier firmware???

I believe if you backup a preset then reimport, Axe-Edit will update the block library as part of the import process. Cliff, Admin M@ or Chris could probably clarify the process.

Side note: I updated last night and for some reason my presets sound clearer (positive) and more incredible. What an update, thanks FAS! However, I did notice the noise when switching between presets. Also it may just be me, but I hear a faint 'click' in a couple of my presets. If I get a chance tonight, I will post it on here and would love if someone else could test it for me on their AFX. It's a simple clean ambient preset.

Thanks Cliff, you do great work man!

I got tired of waiting and picked up an MP-1 off Craigslist. :D It definitely has a unique vibe, but I'm having challenges integrating it in the Axe, as I am using output 2 to my CLR (which limits what you can do with the FX loop). I'd love a dedicated Axe model.
Yeah, I was being sarcastic but I had to pick one of my personal faves. If you ever get a chance, Tone match a couple of the factory suggested settings or a couple of the artists settings from that bad boy. It'd probably by far be the easiest way to "integrate" it... it was a PITA to dial in thx to that crazy EQ, the lack of knobs, and its weirdly quantized per button press frequency jumps. I had two and they were both ridiculously noisy as well.

Sigh... I had to give mine up (along with a few other well worn rig pieces) when I got the Ultra as part of the spousal sign off negotiation. I could have easily afforded to keep it but she had to "feel" that I was giving up some gear to justify a purchase of that magnitude. :-/ I wish I had saved it for the AfX2 trade... then I could have tone matched it myself before shipping it out.

Wow this really is more organic and chewy. My Van Halen brown soundesque preset has gone into Mean Streets riff territory and sounds more vintage ! Love it , awesome, awesome inspiring!!!!

Wow, with this firmware, I finally find the 5150 not fizzy!

The Vh-4 and Wrecker have become Greek gods of the crunch world to me.

I am finally a high-gain lover with this firmware.

So I had some time today to do some Tone Matches of Version 16 to the real amps. In previous firmwares there was always some error in the bass frequencies. I was shocked to see that the error is now virtually eliminated.

This is the red channel of a 5150 III.

You were not kidding, the TM is so so much more usable now, WOW so glad I upgraded, even doing so in the middle of a project which I normally would not, well worth it.

The new FW16 sounds awesome. Now it is possible to dial in non-MV amps with more gain without the low end being farty and flubby. No need for drive blocks any more. The harmonics just jump from the fretboard. Wow.

At first FW15.7 sounded better than FW16, but that was solo guitar. When I put the 2 in the mix 16 was the obvious winner! More clarity and definition, probably due to the tighter bottom end.
Awesome!!

Thanks Cliff!!!!!
Let's get some more bass Amps/Cabs going, Please...
Great update, we are so spoiled.

Holy buckets. I just got a pickup change on my guitar that really fits what I'm after a lot better (went from BKP Painkillers to Holydivers). FW 16 is now the total icing on the cake. I simply cannot believe that this thing just keeps getting better. At first I thought the changes were subtle, but I started really reworking my presets and EQ settings and things really started to take shape. I have gotten rid of drive pedals as boosts for my heavy sounds. I have replaced them with graphic eq (pedal style) and boosted the frequencies I want, cutting the frequencies I don't. I don't boost the volume into the amp anymore. I just dial in the MV until I'm getting the open sound I'm looking for and dial gain to taste.

I've been messing with the low res frequency and power amp low cut and getting tight for thumpy, wonderfully natural, and lively sounding amp tones. Using the passive EQ after the cab block to cut lows and highs as needed and maybe boost a bit here and there, and freaking Bob is your uncle. No more flub. No more shrill highs. Super clean but natural sounding mixes. Room for bass guitar which is now clearer and punchier.

I'm finding the recto easier to dial. I'm still a little wonky on the 5153 but I never did really get along with it a great deal. I'm getting the best FAS Modern tones I've ever had. And for the love of all that is pure... I'm actually enjoying the hell out of the VH4. Not just getting along with it... but enjoying the hell out of it. Also, the Uber is OUT. FREAKING. STANDING. Now... off to dial in more amps. THANKS A BUNCH FAS! YOU ROCK!

Back
Top Bottom