Axe-Fx II Firmware 15.00 Released

Yeah I noticed this with modern I & II. I'm guessing either something got mixed up or and I'm leaning toward, this amp is a mixture
so being the amps are as Cliff says scary close, they no longer mesh as they used too.

I'm sure you tried it all, but I went and changed the tone stack freq to 600hz, and location to mid. Changed low res freq to 110, and that has changed it pretty nicely for me.

Cool, will try!

Yeah I noticed this with modern I & II. I'm guessing either something got mixed up or and I'm leaning toward, this amp is a mixture
so being the amps are as Cliff says scary close, they no longer mesh as they used too.

I'm sure you tried it all, but I went and changed the tone stack freq to 600hz, and location to mid. Changed low res freq to 110, and that has changed it pretty nicely for me.

Those models have not changed since they are not based on real amps. If you don't like the new firmware don't use it. The vast majority think it's great.

Those models have not changed since they are not based on real amps. If you don't like the new firmware don't use it. The vast majority think it's great.

Who said anything about NOT liking it? Guess you missed my first post, and jump on something you thought was negative.

Friedman HBE(amongst other real high gain amps) display the same thing. I kinda knew this is what the answer would be, though. Majority rules even though we don't know what the majority use for amps and if they are even after tight high gain stuff. Remember the Mesas? I sure appreciate all your hard work, but don't you think there is a possibility that something is amiss? If everything was always perfect there would be FW1 only. There are some GREAT things about FW15. The high gain stuff is not one of them.

Last edited:
It seems to me the volume drop when the SAT is engaged is pretty drastic. I know it is what a real amp does but I do not remember it being that much of a volume decrease when engaged on my amps. I have a couple of patches that use scenes where the SAT is on or off depending on how much gain I need and it killed them...
just up the output level in the scenes where the SAT is Engaged to a level where you establish unity with the scenes where it is not engaged. Once you figure the ratio of difference on the output level, you should have a constant that you can use on the output level whenever you have a scene where you engage the SAT. Cool thing here is that you do not even have the ability to make this kind of leveling tweak on a "real amp".
For instance, if you find that raising the output level by 1.2 (<-wild ass # guess) brings your level (with SAT engaged) equal (Unity) with the same patch where the SAT is off. Now you have established your drop off OUTPUT LEVEL ratio. Now using the established ratio, you should be able to quickly add 1.2 to the output level of any scene where you engage the SAT. quick and easy - takes a couple seconds.
This ratio may likely fluctuate per amp model, but should be consistent with the amp being used. Within a preset when using scenes, the ratio will be a constant.

Friedman HBE(amongst other real high gain amps) display the same thing. I kinda knew this is what the answer would be, though. Majority rules even though we don't know what the majority use for amps and if they are even after tight high gain stuff. Remember the Mesas? I sure appreciate all your hard work, but don't you think there is a possibility that something is amiss? If everything was always perfect there would be FW1 only. There are some GREAT things about FW15. The high gain stuff is not one of them.

The models did not change. I just did a Windiff and the only change between V14 and V15 is the default Master Volume value. It was 3, it's now 4. Don't know what to tell you other than go back to 14.

The models did not change. I just did a Windiff and the only change between V14 and V15 is the default Master Volume value. It was 3, it's now 4. Don't know what to tell you other than go back to 14.

If he Cliff used Windiff it will tell him any change quickly so I am confident there is no changes from that. Funny I was using Windiff back in my hacking days mid to late 90's:), and still today it's used glad to hear to hear!!!!

I've been comparing FW14 and FW15 today. I haven't noticed anything too screwed up with the high-gain stuff. Once I figured out how to handle the saturation switch change (which wont be an issue in the next firmware) and once I figured out that somehow my Input 1 mode got reset to Left Only, thus my gain was going up....

... Other than those, no problems here.

I agree. The cleans are much better but the high gain amps I used to use (Mesa Mark) aren't as good now imo. However...i am now in love with the Engl Savage 1. It makes my ears happy. I didn't play with it much before but now I have a new favorite!

Finally... the reason I care??? Previously it was possible to set an amp up how you'd like, fully tricked out and saturated to all levels of fuckery. Dial in the output level of the block, and move on from there. You could turn saturation off, and have roughly the same level, and it was great for recording. But now??? You turn saturation OFF, and the level goes through the roof and starts clipping. It's totally a workflow thing rather than a sonic thing.

I agree with you, the saturation I preferred before the way it hardly changed the volume level but added grit.

I completely disagree with this statement, and I feel it's a bit insulting to anyone who programs anything.

Not trying to be insulting, just saying there is always room for improvement. You, as a programmer(I'm assuming), know that unintended changes happen upon new releases. As I said before, I'm willing to accept that more "true to life" amp emus might not be my thing as real amps certainly have their drawbacks. There is a point where you go start to go backwards if you are trying to hard to get anything 100% true to life.

Anyway, I'm back on 14.02. There is a difference and I like it better as the low end most certainly feels tighter. To each his own I suppose. I will miss some things in 15, oh well.

To my ears this is the best sounding update. Everything sounds rounder and more natural.

Ya know you are right... I have said that same thing the last 5 or 6 updates now, and was right every time too (for the sounds I want out of it).

It just keeps getting better and like Martha would say, thats a good thing... :D

Anyway, I'm back on 14.02. There is a difference and I like it better as the low end most certainly feels tighter. To each his own I suppose. I will miss some things in 15, oh well.

Can you post comparison clips? I'm curious. I've not noticed it to the extent you're saying.

Ya know you are right... I have said that same thing the last 5 or 6 updates now, and was right every time too (for the sounds I want out of it).

It just keeps getting better and like Martha would say, thats a good thing... :D

Totally agree - it sounds crazy good to me.

The improvements in sound and feel are so great, for the first time I am enjoying the task of adjusting all my presets! :eagerness:

Well... I just got done playing for hours... All high gain... Tons of different amps, really putting FW15 through its paces. I don't think I've been in such love with a previous firmware! 15 is a masterpiece!

My biggest shock so far has been the Dizzy VH4. I've never been able to get tones out of that model that I would enjoy using, but after today, it's going to be one of my go to amps. It's sounds phenomenal now!

I can't say enough positive things about this firmware. Cliff, you are a GOD!

Back
Top Bottom