Axe-Fx II Firmware 15.00 Released

I didn't said it sounds not awesome! I mainly use the 5153 model, just asked in the point of change from the Drive parameter after 15b

There's is a slight change to me, perhaps more Drive with the same value like in the beta again?!

Yeah, i agree. Peavey amps are one of my favorite for High Gain. Having played alot with 15 beta, i too think that the amp have had some tweaks after beta. It just shines with OH Marshall bb cab.

Must be a NorCal Bay Area thing with the FW15 update. Seems you and I are the only ones who haven't quite figured it out. My HBE and 5153 sounded harsh and just "not the same", even after messing with the patches for a few hours. I ultimately reverted back to 14.2 and loaded my back-up. Man I'm glad I did a full back-up prior to updating to fw15. And guess what...sounds awesome, just like it did before the update. If you manage to figure out the new firmware, pass a few tips my way :)

Haven't installed 15 yet, but the 5153 is my main high-gain amp. I apologize in advance if you've done this already, but have you tried increasing the master volume and dialing back the drive a little? Your "symptoms" sound like that, to me, since that was how I remedied a similar problem with various Marshall-type amps in the last couple firmwares. You've got to open them up a bit. I've been so accustomed to not using much master on my gain patches, that I'm still getting used to that.

Ok, I didn't read the entire thread but need to ask:

[Increased number of Scratchpad IR locations to four.]
Is this for XL only? I see only one scratchpad still with my AFII.

[Removed Amp block Thunk parameter. This processing operation is no longer deemed necessary due to the improved Amp block algorithms.]
I can still see this Thunk parameter control in my amps. Thought it was removed?

My metal turned to plastic. I use USA lead BRT+ mostly with fw14.0. I went to 15 and it has no balls. I noticed that the saturation switch us now off so I turned it back on and turned up the master to balance the volume. Its sorta close now but its missing the chug I had. I'm sure the amp can still make the sound I want but im not sure how to get it. I also run a ts808 block before it so mayby that was changed and needs adjustment.

Anyone else have this experience?

Ok, I didn't read the entire thread but need to ask:

[Increased number of Scratchpad IR locations to four.]
Is this for XL only? I see only one scratchpad still with my AFII.

[Removed Amp block Thunk parameter. This processing operation is no longer deemed necessary due to the improved Amp block algorithms.]
I can still see this Thunk parameter control in my amps. Thought it was removed?
Those things need the next AxeEdit release ;)

Just spent three hours messing with FW15. The new UR cab mixes are awesome (what the hell is a Lerxst mix?). The new Cali 4x12 M160 IR is just killer with Mesa amps. Some of the new amp default level settings are HOT. Had to turn a lot of my presets down.

We have a ridiculous amount of awesome at our disposal now. My presets have never sounded so inspiring.

What next? What possibly next??

Lerxst is Alex Lifeson from a little band called Rush :)

My metal turned to plastic. I use USA lead BRT+ mostly with fw14.0. I went to 15 and it has no balls. I noticed that the saturation switch us now off so I turned it back on and turned up the master to balance the volume. Its sorta close now but its missing the chug I had. I'm sure the amp can still make the sound I want but im not sure how to get it. I also run a ts808 block before it so mayby that was changed and needs adjustment.

Anyone else have this experience?

I only redid most of my clean presets last night (and they sound terrific). But planned on my doing my metal/hard rock presets today.

Don't forget to update the web page and Facebook page! Still showing the outdated FW14!

They probably do this purposely, figuring it safer to let us alpha geeks test things out a bit before releasing it to the general public :)

I only got to play with 15 for about an hour so far. But thus far everything sounds better than ever. Thanks FAS!

When you re-select an amp type, certain amp parameters are reset to their default values.
v15 now introduces "Update Amp Defaults" in the Utility menu. This also resets certain amp parameters to their default values.

These methods have an impact on partly the same, and partly different parameters. An overview below.
I'll put it in a table in the wiki.

----

PRE page
"Re-select" resets: Input Trim, Overdrive, Bright knob, Cut switch, Fat switch, BRT switch, Sat switch
"Update Amp Defaults" resets: Sat switch

PWR page
"Re-select" resets: Presence, Depth, Tube Type, Neg Feedb (Damping), Master Volume
"Update Amp Defaults" resets: Tube Type, Neg Feedb (Damping)

SPKR page
"Re-select" resets: all
"Update Amp Defaults" resets: all

EQ page
"Re-select" resets: all. It also resets EQ Type (see ADV)
"Update Amp Defaults" resets: none. It also doesn't reset EQ Type (see ADV)

DYN page

ADV page
"Re-select" resets: all except Input Select
"Update Amp Defaults" resets: all except Input Select, Boost, Bright switch, EQ Type, Amp Voicing/Pwr Amp Locut/Pwr Amp Hicut

TREM/MIX page
"Re-select" resets: Trem Depth (not Freq)
"Update Amp Defaults" resets: none

Last edited:
I really feel for you guys not feeling the new firmware. I was in the same boat with the 15 beta (felt as if the models had lost gain and a general loss in balls), and was somewhat dreading what the final firmware would bring if this was the general direction the firmware was going. After playing the final release last night for hours, I am relieved! 15 is awesome and to me, one of the biggest game-changing firmwares I've ever been through.

I'm a high gain guy, so my experience is coming from working with many of the high gain amps last night. I feel that 15 has delivered a new focus to all the amps that wasn't quite there before, especially with certain amps like the Boogies. From my experience, these amps are now reacting much more realistically than ever before. For example, the Recto always felt a bit flubby compared to the real amp to me, but not in this firmware. The recto has that huge fat tone but now it's tight where you expect it to be. Compared to the beta, the final release does indeed give the 5150 amps more balls. I was depressed with the 5153 Red channel in the beta, but in the final, I was blown away by it. It sounds fantastic now!

I feel I really could go on an on about how awesome this firmware is. I think Cliff has really nailed the sweet spot with this firmware! Amazing Job Cliff!

I think if you guys just take a minute to take a step back and not focus on how much your patches have changed, but how realistic the new changes have made the Axe in general, you're going to fall in love. This firmware is a definite step forward.

Last edited:
When you re-select an amp type, certain amp parameters are reset to their default values.
v15 now introduces "Update Amp" in the Utility menu. This also resets certain amp parameters to their default values.

These methods have an impact on partly the same, and partly different parameters. An overview below.

----

PRE page:
"Re-select" resets: Input Trim, Overdrive, Bright knob, Cut switch, Fat switch, BRT switch, Sat switch.
"Update Amp Defaults" resets: Sat switch.

PWR page:
"Re-select" resets: Presence, Depth, Tube Type, Neg Feedb (Damping), Master Volume.
"Update Amp Defaults" resets: Tube Type, Neg Feedb (Damping).

SPKR page:
"Re-select" resets: all.
"Update Amp Defaults" resets: all.

EQ page:
"Re-select" resets: all sliders. It also resets the EQ Type (see ADV).
"Update Amp Defaults" resets: none. It also doesn't reset the EQ Type (see ADV).

DYN page:
"Re-select" resets: all.
"Update Amp Defaults" resets: all.

ADV page:
"Re-select" resets: all except Input Select.
"Update Amp Defaults" resets: all except Input Select, Boost, Bright switch, EQ Type, Amp Voicing/Pwr Amp Locut/Pwr Amp Hicut.

TREM/MIX page:
"Re-select" resets: Trem Depth (not Freq).
"Update Amp Defaults" resets: none.

NICE! Very versatile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give me a break

On my way home to git me some ... and if there's time after that ... well maybe I'll even download the Official FW 15 and take that for a spin too! :D :stupid:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Hey, can you giveme 15 more minutes before you come home?

I really feel for you guys not feeling the new firmware. I was in the same boat with the 15 beta (felt as if the models had lost gain and a general loss in balls), and was somewhat dreading what the final firmware would bring if this was the general direction the firmware was going. After playing the final release last night for hours, I am relieved! 15 is awesome and to me, one of the biggest game-changing firmwares I've ever been through.

I'm a high gain guy, so my experience is coming from working with many of the high gain amps last night. I feel that 15 has delivered a new focus to all the amps that wasn't quite there before, especially with certain amps like the Boogies. From my experience, these amps are now reacting much more realistically than ever before. For example, the Recto always felt a bit flubby compared to the real amp to me, but not in this firmware. The recto has that huge fat tone but now it's tight where you expect it to be. Compared to the beta, the final release does indeed give the 5150 amps more balls. I was depressed with the 5153 Red channel in the beta, but in the final, I was blown away by it. It sounds fantastic now!

I feel I really could go on an on about how awesome this firmware is. I think Cliff has really nailed the sweet spot with this firmware! Amazing Job Cliff!

I think if you guys just take a minute to take a step back and not focus on how much your patches have changed, but how realistic the new changes have made the Axe in general, you're going to fall in love. This firmware is a definite step forward.

This^ absolutely. :D

Some suggestions for FRFR players in no particular order:

Read the release notes and Cliff Notes (err, well yes,read these first ... or totally fail).

Always tweak at gig volumes whenever possible - expect uncertainty at gigs if you don't.

Use your ears - you will get to your desired tone faster.

If you want balls turn the MV up and dial the input drive and trim to taste.

Don't forget to dig in to some low and mid notes while choking up on the pick so your thumb and index fingertips inject some overtones into the tone (a key element to reaching your own personal responsiveness sweet spot).

Swap in some UR IR's and play with the resonance parameters on the speaker page.

Adjust the sag parameters until you're good and giddy with the response to your touch, attack and the way you dig in.

Save when your reasonably happy and then repeat while whisking in some of the more advanced tips from Cliff Notes, Cliff posts, etc.

Save and move on to your next favorite preset or creation and repeat.

Etc. ...

July 5th will be my 1year anniversary as a Fractalite so I am certainly not claiming to be an expert or on top of best practices ... yet. But, this worked at least for me and I'm up and running with responsive presets in no time after each and every FW update from 12 - 15 including all public betas. I do not copy down or take screenshots of prior settings because I do not know how the changed algorithms may have changed the responsiveness of a given model's parameters. Instead, I use my ears and tweak from scratch after each FW update.

Feel free to reject any of this and share why. It's how we all learn and grow as Fractalites.:D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So far I am really loving FW 15. Can't wait to try the updated factory presets. All the new stock Ultrares cabs are great too. Luckily I don't have very many presets made yet, so it only took me about 15 minutes to update and tweak them after the reset. Spent a good hour jamming on a Tool style patch I threw together with a crossover feeding a recto and recto 4x12 for the lows and and plexi 100 and checkerboard 4x12 for the mids and highs. It sounded amazing in drop tuning.

Dumb question: if I install the new presets, do I still need to "update presets" or do the amp back and forth thing? I assume not.

v15 now introduces "Update Amp Defaults" in the Utility menu. This also resets certain amp parameters to their default values.

----

PRE page
"Re-select" resets: Input Trim, Overdrive, Bright knob, Cut switch, Fat switch, BRT switch, Sat switch
"Update Amp Defaults" resets: Sat switch

PWR page
"Re-select" resets: Presence, Depth, Tube Type, Neg Feedb (Damping), Master Volume
"Update Amp Defaults" resets: Tube Type, Neg Feedb (Damping)

SPKR page

EQ page
"Re-select" resets: all. It also resets EQ Type (see ADV)
"Update Amp Defaults" resets: none. It also doesn't reset EQ Type (see ADV)

DYN page

ADV page
"Re-select" resets: all except Input Select
"Update Amp Defaults" resets: all except Input Select, Boost, Bright switch, EQ Type, Amp Voicing/Pwr Amp Locut/Pwr Amp Hicut

TREM/MIX page
"Re-select" resets: Trem Depth (not Freq)
"Update Amp Defaults" resets: none

Wow !!

Many many thanks Yek !!
Your dedication is astonishing !

Back
Top Bottom