Axe-Fx II Firmware 15.00 Public Beta

Will the official 15 firmware a big change again to the beta? Think about to stay for a while on this beta now(also if 15 is released then).

my tought about the "like/dislike" fw 15 is...
... that fw 15 is another step forward ... to the perfect tube-amp modeling... and a step back from the "best recorded amp machine"
what i mean is... that Axe Fx now is at the cross-road: best guitar recording gear?... or best amp modeling machine?
another thought is... that most of the dislike are coming from the "hi-gain full compressed" tribe... while most of the like are from the "clean... crunch... driven amp" tribe
my position is that... I LIKE the road to the full... dynamic... breathing... real tube amp emulation!
Do you want a good recorded track!... well... you must apply all the best know-how about to get a wanderfull guita recorded track!

and... ok... my english is crap... but... you got the meaning!

Do you want a good recorded track!... well... you must apply all the best know-how about to get a wanderfull guita recorded track!

Exactly, as the tube realism improves (hard to think that is possible but each and every FW it keeps doing it) the importance of IR's also increases. Blending IR's with different mics, et al., makes a bit more difference to get towards that polished sound, which is a totally subjective thing.

Go back to FW9 or so and it did sound great for high gain stuff, and was pretty perfect right out of the box tones, but for the lower gain stuff, the edge of break-up and dynamics weren't close to what they are at today.

Luckily, with some great new IR Mixes from OH etc, you can get some pretty fantastic high gain tones with minimal effort, and you can ALSO get some fantastic clean and slightly driven tones.

Each FW update really does make the unit better for everyone. It changes things sometimes, so it does require some tweaking and adapting, but that is the cost (otherwise FREE, which is awesome, thanks Cliff) of progress

I just got my XL a week ago and have only had about 3 hours play time on it so far (and have been absolutely blown away), so please forgive the noob question.

I've not created any of my own presets yet, so I'm relying on the factory ones to get started. With 384 of them to page through, switch amps and reset a few parameters then save before moving on to the next preset, I'm a little nervous of spending a fair bit of time going through the post-update process or work with the resulting fundamentally different sounding presets after the update.

When firmware 15 moves from Public Beta to Final, will the presets have been reworked and be available for download?

If so, I may (jealously) wait for the final version and let you brave and committed pathfinders uncover the wrinkles (if there are any!).

I just got my XL a week ago and have only had about 3 hours play time on it so far (and have been absolutely blown away), so please forgive the noob question.

I've not created any of my own presets yet, so I'm relying on the factory ones to get started. With 384 of them to page through, switch amps and reset a few parameters then save before moving on to the next preset, I'm a little nervous of spending a fair bit of time going through the post-update process or work with the resulting fundamentally different sounding presets after the update.

When firmware 15 moves from Public Beta to Final, will the presets have been reworked and be available for download?

If so, I may (jealously) wait for the final version and let you brave and committed pathfinders uncover the wrinkles (if there are any!).

Yes, we will have updated presets along with the official release.

different enough to require rework that I don't have the time or energy to do at the moment.

That's what's stopping me from updating right now EP. I love the updates and so far each one has improved my AxeFx immensely. However....the past few weeks, I've REALLY been tweaking my sounds to the point of taking them as far as I can. With that being said, I'm happier now than I ever have been with any processor or amp. The down-side is, as much as I love experimenting and tweaking this stuff, I'm at a point where I'm really happy and sort of exhausted with tweaking. With a load of gigs coming up and me being totally happy with my current 14.2 FW sounds, I just can't lose what I built just yet. :) I know this will probably change as soon as I get a lull in my shows. But until that time....I gotta stick with what I have. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't salivating about the new possibilities though...especially if they have more tube oriented realness. :) I back everything up so I'm not worried, but I do want to stay current. Just not yet. I'll probably wait until the full blown 15 release hits.

Will the official 15 firmware a big change again to the beta? Think about to stay for a while on this beta now(also if 15 is released then).

Cliff, will the amp modeling in general or the evh 5153 model be altered again to the final 15 update still or you just fix bugs when there are some in the pre-process to the 15 now? Would be nice to know because i wouln't spend much time on adjusting my amp tone in detail and wait for some final reamping on tracks yet.

That's what's stopping me from updating right now EP. I love the updates and so far each one has improved my AxeFx immensely. However....the past few weeks, I've REALLY been tweaking my sounds to the point of taking them as far as I can. With that being said, I'm happier now than I ever have been with any processor or amp. The down-side is, as much as I love experimenting and tweaking this stuff, I'm at a point where I'm really happy and sort of exhausted with tweaking. With a load of gigs coming up and me being totally happy with my current 14.2 FW sounds, I just can't lose what I built just yet. :) I know this will probably change as soon as I get a lull in my shows. But until that time....I gotta stick with what I have. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't salivating about the new possibilities though...especially if they have more tube oriented realness. :) I back everything up so I'm not worried, but I do want to stay current. Just not yet. I'll probably wait until the full blown 15 release hits.

I do this too.

If I have recording projects or a lot of upcoming shows, I wait. It saves time for me.

I does make reading all the great comments a little tough though when have to postpone updating! :)

Something Ive noticed is that with each FW Update its much easier to choose IRs

For example a Greenback or V30 cab should work reasonably fine with most amps even if its not the "ideal" speaker for that amp and thats exactly whats happened since FW 13

A note to those who are struggling to get their "sound" back, you really have to be careful to make notes of all of the little advanced parameter setting and GEQ settings, as well as the MV settings from your FW14 preset. If you had tweaked the bejesus out of your AMP then resetting to default values with just your B,M,T and Drive settings remaining will not get you there. I really stress that, if you can before you reset the amp, copy the x state to the y state and then you can easily toggle back and forth. To all of those guys saying "just tweak it by ear dude!" you ain't helpin' matters. A specific example of why someone might really need to get all of the advanced parameters exactly right is when it is for a tonematch preset. I just ran into this on a tonematch preset I did. I had tweaked nearly every advanced parameter and all were wiped away with the reset. Perhaps digging way into the advanced parameters isn't the way to "get your tone" but in this case it was the only way and I needed to get them all back. Using the X Y trick worked for me anyway.

Another reason to use the "update all presets" Utility function is that you won't be able to copy blocks and paste them between old FW versions and new

Why not just tone match the tones you want to keep them?

To all of those guys saying "just tweak it by ear dude!" you ain't helpin' matters. A specific example of why someone might really need to get all of the advanced parameters exactly right is when it is for a tonematch preset. I just ran into this on a tonematch preset I did. I had tweaked nearly every advanced parameter and all were wiped away with the reset.

You should not need to go so deep,it you do a Tone Match ?? hehe. That is what TM is for. Get in the ball park,and then do the TM.
I find this wierd.. :)

SPAULDING!!!!!! YOU'LL GET NOTHING AND LIKE IT!!!!
4668324328_d3e73b1037_z_zps4c4e2f8f.jpg

use a different amp?
I knew you would say that :lol I think you are right that at least some of the time that could be an option. Sometimes that is not the answer. In this instance the amp I was using was closest to what I was trying to achieve, partly due to the sound of it and partly due to knowledge of the specific equipment used for the original recording. Just needed some advanced parameters tweaked to get there. I will say that sometimes you start off with something and you keep chasing and chasing and before you know it you've tweaked every damn knob.

Back
Top Bottom