Axe-Fx II Firmware 11.04 Up

Thank you, Cliff! Can't wait to try these amps out!

Thanks! What is HRM or, more specifically, non-HRM?
I didn't know what this was either so I looked it up.

Most of the Overdrive Special amps built in the 80’s amps are known as “non-HRM” Skyliner amps. The “non-HRM” refers to the extra tone-stack that HRM amps have after the second OverDrive stages. The non-HRM amps don’t have this tone stack and as a result the overdrive is bit more open and full sounding. The Skyliner tone stack is very balanced for both the clean and overdrive channels.

I can't wait to get home and try the Mark I Recto.

I never was much for the 3 channel version, and to be honest I was never much for most of what the Mark I Recto's offered... EXCEPT for one particular sound, which was incredible. The original Rectos had a feature called "channel cloning" where when engaged, would do just like the name implies and depending on how the channel cloning switch was set, would either give you two versions of the lower gained channel 1 or two versions of the higher gained channel 2. However, due to the analog nature of the amp, the cloning function would only get the "cloned" channel *most* of the way there. In other words, even with the cloning switch engaged in attempt to duplicate either channel, there would still be noticeable differences between the two.

Well, in my opinion, the absolute best tone the original Rectos had to offer was when you activated channel one with the cloning switch engaged to make it try and emulate channel 2. I remember loving this tone. Clear yet saturated, tons of balls yet tons of cut, sounded great at any volume, just a fantastic modern high gain tone without the lifeless sterility often associated with that kind of sound. I believe this was called "Channel 1 Orange Mode" and is where the 2nd channel of the newer 3 channel version gets its name.

Either way, no matter what modes of the amp were simulated, like I said, I can't wait to get home and try out the new old Recto! They weren't what I'd consider a desert island amp but they had a really great niche sound that I don't think the 3 channel versions can match. And... I'm really interested in the Fish too, hah!

Man, there's nothing like a new amp day!

Edit: Found the manual.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/2chRecto.pdf

The switch is on the back panel. Channel 1 was named the Orange channel and activating that channel and setting that rear switch to "Org to Modern" mode made that amp breath fire.

Last edited:
t-hanks-3.jpg

Sweet. Bogfish Brown has a nice balanced, woody sound that I don't think I can get with anything else. I really like it! Thanks!

The new amps sound damn awesome! I don't know where to ask this, but I guess it is normal that the tempo led "bleeds" into the bypass led making the bypass led blink a bit too?

Back
Top Bottom