Axe FX II FAS USB as an audio hardware problem in Reaper

apescaleconflict

Experienced
Hey all!

I tried to find a similar problem, but didn't find that helped me with this.

I want to use my Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 with reaper, and im using FAS USB as my audio device in windows 7, to reamp a track from my computer with axe fx.
I've done this before about a year ago, and everything worked okay, but now the FAS USB seems to freeze and gives me this error:
Capture.JPG

this is how i set it up:

Capture2.JPG

I've tried to change windows default rec devices, default playback devices, reinstall fas usb drivers, reinstall scarlet drivers, pretty much on a verge of giving up.

Is there something that i don't know, is scarlet 2i2 not compatible with Axe Fx?? I had presonus firebox year ago and it worked ok.

Im asking this here because i don't have anywhere else to go anymore... tried the sample rates too.

If i use asio4all and select input and outputs of scarlet, it works. But with FAS USB it freezes, doesn't give me that error above, but the playback just freezez, cursos isn't even moving.
Sorry this messed up message, but i've got this huge 1000 piece puzzle in my head that doesn't make any sense now.

So anything that might help is apprecciated. For god sakes im about to use AMPSIMS over axe because of this...

Thanks!

Last edited:
Maybe I've missed this in your writings "I am dyslexic so sometimes will miss a word here and there" But where did you write what Os you're using? That is pretty darn helped and a really needed in helping troubleshoot driver errors since Fractal makes drivers that work on Several Windows versions and Mac..

Send thing, did you say you have uninstalled, then re downloaded the drivers and reinstalled? If not that is the first thing I would do!!!!!

Maybe I've missed this in your writings "I am dyslexic so sometimes will miss a word here and there" But where did you write what Os you're using? That is pretty darn helped and a really needed in helping troubleshoot driver errors since Fractal makes drivers that work on Several Windows versions and Mac..

Send thing, did you say you have uninstalled, then re downloaded the drivers and reinstalled? If not that is the first thing I would do!!!!!

I think i didn't use enough time to phrase things correctly, sorry for that. I'll update the operating system, but windows. Yes i have done that too. Everything else works fine, but as soon as i use FAS USB in any matter as an audio device, it instantly freezes everything.
I think/hope this is just a simple solution case but hard to figure out. :/

For starters:
If the Scarlett is selected as your primary soundcard in Windows, Windows may be overriding your Axe when both devices are connected and turned on. Select the Axe in Windows as your primary audio device. It may also be a problem if loading a project with a different sample rate than 48kHz, in this case uncheck “Allow projects to override device sample rate”.

For starters:
If the Scarlett is selected as your primary soundcard in Windows, Windows may be overriding your Axe when both devices are connected and turned on. Select the Axe in Windows as your primary audio device. It may also be a problem if loading a project with a different sample rate than 48kHz, in this case uncheck “Allow projects to override device sample rate”.

Yeah i've tried to uncheck that, and tried 44100 and 48000 both, and different buffer sizes. Also tried to change axe fx as a primary device in windows, and even tried to unplug and disable the scarlett to see if takes away the problem, but without any results.
Nothing changes. :/ I've tried few combos too by setting windows default audio devices in different order too, just for giggles, surprisingly no results. Even tried to enable motherboard soundcard in BIOS to fool windows to use that as a primary soundcard, so none of the axe or the scarlet would be default, but there's no such soundcard that i can make default so that was a deadend too.

I appreciate the help guys! :)

Does the Axe audio output work standalone (outside of Reaper)?

Are you eventually using a USB3 port, if so try a USB2?

I have at least usb 2.0 but can't remember the usb3, i need to update my CPU. Can it be the problem? I never use Axe-FX standalone... if i do, i use the handy "direct monitor" from my scarlet 2i2.
I mostly just record riffs or songs in a DAW environment, so that has not been necessary. TBH im not even sure how it works...

Hook up your Axe to the PC USB port and plug a headphone into the Axe, playback an audio file via a media player, does the file playback to the phones output of the Axe?
If you look at your USB ports USB3 is usually blue, USB2 is usually black. USB3 has been problematic with USB2 devices.
Does AxeEdit connect to the Axe?
Does the Axe show up under windows as a selectable audio device?
Does the FASUSB Audio control panel show up in the taskbar at the bottom right; if so, what are the settings, does the status panel show the Axe as a USB audio device?
If none of the above, uninstall the Axe USB-driver, download the USB-driver form Fractal Audio Systems - Support reinstall, follow the directions, a reboot may be necessary.

All of what you suggested is okay, except the audio at standalone didn't come through (i had the input as a USB so it wasn't that) but the reason for this i guess was windows. My audio was "glitching" looping like a broken CD but without a sound. Then i completely disabled focusrite 2i2 from default playback/recording device and the audio started to came through. Then i started reaper and hit fasusb as an audio device and it worked. I also plugged in to a another USB connection, just for the try.

FUNNY is that i TRIED this yesterday, but didn't test that the standalone worked. That was the fix in this issue, i guess it was just a windows bug that i just didn't think of when i was rumbling through millions of google problem threads and tweaks in my setup.
I still think this happened because the galaxies were lined up correctly, im afraid that in next boot the problem is there again, luckily now i know whats up.

Million thanks to you dude, you'd deserve a beer. :)

Glad you got it somewhat sorted out. It sounds like your Scarlett drivers sample rate is overriding the Axes sample rate.
If the Scarlett was your default/standard audio device in windows previously, you would need to open the Scarlett MixControl (before turning on the Axe) and set the sample rate @ 48kHz, this should solve your problem when the Scarlett is your default/standard audio device in windows.

Cheers! ;)

Solarfire...If you're ever in Seattle area I owe you man! Your info on the difference of USB2 and USB3 got me up and going as I had the Axe plugged into the USB3. Switched it over and boom! up and running...thanks mang!!!

Solarfire...If you're ever in Seattle area I owe you man! Your info on the difference of USB2 and USB3 got me up and going as I had the Axe plugged into the USB3. Switched it over and boom! up and running...thanks mang!!!

Glad to hear (read) it helped someone... Yeah the USB3 downward compatibility leaves a lot to be desired…

Back
Top Bottom