Axe-Fx II Drives question

Billbill

Power User
hello all,
So my previous analog rig for that "edge of breakup and clean to mean Brad Paisley tele sounds, I sometimes used two very subtle/light drives straight into each other so the chain was guitar>boss cs-3 comp>radial tonebone OD>t Rex crunchy frog OD>wayhuge swollen pickle OD/fuzz>amp. I'm looking to replicate that in my axe and was curious about which drives work good together in series? Anyone achieve good results running two drive blocks in series? What are some suttle drives that cooperate together without things getting weird in the machine because I know them drives can be CPU hogs. Thx!

I first always opt for a Filter Block with a +8dB Boost & Low & High cut set into a Drive Block. But other combos I like would be FET Boost into the Shimmer, or Micro.
I really only ever use the Filter Block along with either FET Boost/FET Preamp/SDD Preamp and then also use the Boost switch on the Amp in the Amp Block. And I usually bring down the Input Trim all the way in most of my patches and use a combo of those I mentioned to make up the gain. To me, I think it allows the most dynamics with the guitar volume, so I can get pretty to almost clean with the guitar Vol all the way down to a nice lead tone all the way up.

You can also use multiple Filter Blocks (or Para EQ or EQ) and do like a +3dB Boost with a little mid boost on one & then another Filter Block with a +5-8dB Boost on that one, and use them together or separately, with the FET or without.. & Amp Boost on/off.. Lotta neuanced shaping going on, works good sometimes for specific pickups, if ya wanna dial in perfection on say a neck pickup for lead.

Last edited:
Don't even think of trying anything before the SDD Preamp. It's the "sparkle" drive, for sure.

Here's Yek's tip for chime: "Add the SDD Preamp (Drive block). Set Drive at 1.50. Done."

I recently started using a boost type Drive before the amp to push it rather than bumping the amp Drive. This also helps do so pre-EQ.

Then for leads I stack another drive block before the boost drive.

For boost I like the SDD, the FET Boost, the Micro Boost and the Timothy.

For my lead I am pretty much sticking to the ACB although I also like the TS808.

Yeah one thing about the SDD & FET Preamp’s; a little goes a long way. You don’t need much gain on either one of them. The FET Boost, you can up the Gain a little more, it’s a bit more forgiving.

Micro Boost is great for a bit of hair on a clean channel. Use default settings and pull back the DRIVE to suit.

Back
Top Bottom