Axe Fx II doesn't play nice with USB 3.0 (crackling/popping noises)

jsl2h

Inspired
Every time I use the axe fx 2 over USB to listen to music I experience crackling and popping noises. I'm using a laptop running Windows 7 with an intel i7 processor and USB 3.0 ports. I've switched ports, reinstalled the driver, got a shorter USB cable.... nothing works. I've posted on this issue before but I finally found the energy to go install the USB driver on my wife's computer which has USB 2.0 ports.... and voila. No crackling, no popping. Suddenly it didn't sound like a bowl of rice crispies coming through my monitors. Is there any way to modify the driver to work better with USB 3.0? My last option is to go try and figure out how to uninstall/reinstall my USB drivers but that just seems pointless as the Axe Fx II is the ONLY thing that has ever caused me a problem over USB 3.0. Please help me out here, I just want to listen to music in peace.

Every time I use the axe fx 2 over USB to listen to music I experience crackling and popping noises. I'm using a laptop running Windows 7 with an intel i7 processor and USB 3.0 ports. I've switched ports, reinstalled the driver, got a shorter USB cable.... nothing works. I've posted on this issue before but I finally found the energy to go install the USB driver on my wife's computer which has USB 2.0 ports.... and voila. No crackling, no popping. Suddenly it didn't sound like a bowl of rice crispies coming through my monitors. Is there any way to modify the driver to work better with USB 3.0? My last option is to go try and figure out how to uninstall/reinstall my USB drivers but that just seems pointless as the Axe Fx II is the ONLY thing that has ever caused me a problem over USB 3.0. Please help me out here, I just want to listen to music in peace.
I believe it depends on the USB 3.0 drivers... some work fine, some don't. None have generic MS drivers at this time - AFAIK - except on Win 8, and it appears they implemented it a little differently.
Support for USB 3.0 (Windows).

So. stick the Axe USB cable into a 2.0 port and off you go... :)

Besides, the OM specifically states 'onboard “Audio Class 2.0 compliant” USB interface'.

Last edited:
But it can't be that hard to update the driver. Like I said the only 2.0 computer I have is my wife's and she uses it for school. Cliff?

But it can't be that hard to update the driver. Like I said the only 2.0 computer I have is my wife's and she uses it for school. Cliff?
So you have no USB 2.0 ports on your PC at all ? Have you tried to update the native drivers?

The drivers are the responsibility of the OS manufacturer. We have no control over that.

I reinstalled my actual drivers on my laptop with no improvement. I was just hoping FAS could tweak their driver package for USB 3.0.
It says USB 2.0 compliant, wouldn't it be a simple fix to make it compatible with 3.0?

Others have reported that their AxeFXII works fine on their USB 3.0 ports. To me that points to the USB ports and drivers on the computer. And no; they are not all the same. I've had devices over the years that would not work at all or dropped connection regularly with one computer's USB ports and would work perfectly fine on another machine. Lots of audio interface manufacturers that used firewire will not support the device unless you use a firewire adapter that has an approved chipset.

This sounds like buggy USB port drivers or issues with the actual hardware to me.

I reinstalled my actual drivers on my laptop with no improvement. I was just hoping FAS could tweak their driver package for USB 3.0.
It says USB 2.0 compliant, wouldn't it be a simple fix to make it compatible with 3.0?

USB 3.0 is a different hardware and architecture. So at the Axe FX end it's USB 2.0 compliant, if the USB 3.0 device isn't working correctly at the other end it isn't meeting the USB3.0 standard which should be backward compatible for it to talk to USB2.0 devices. So the fix would always have to be at the USB3 end.

Some have had problems with USB3 and some have not. If a device has USB2 and 3 ports use the USB2. USB 3 are coloured blue to distinguish them.

Others have reported that their AxeFXII works fine on their USB 3.0 ports. To me that points to the USB ports and drivers on the computer. And no; they are not all the same. I've had devices over the years that would not work at all or dropped connection regularly with one computer's USB ports and would work perfectly fine on another machine. Lots of audio interface manufacturers that used firewire will not support the device unless you use a firewire adapter that has an approved chipset.

This sounds like buggy USB port drivers or issues with the actual hardware to me.

Ive had no issues as of yet and I am using my axe fx II as my interface. Im running a brand new macbook pro,I7 with newest os

Guys. Has everyone managed to make it work on USB 3.0?
It has always been working for me (Asus laptop i7 Win10), but not for a friend of mine.

Back
Top Bottom