Axe-fx II does Iron Man :)

javajunkie

Decided to learn the solo to Iron Man. I'm on an old British Metal kick.
The original has the solo on one side of the track, so I copied the other side and mixed it to mono (added some mastering processing to beef it up). All the lead guitar that was left was the room ambience. I soloed over that. I still have some were on getting the vibrato on those fast bends but it coming along. Got to learn the ending solo too.

Cool - great work!! Geezer is going off too!! I think Iommi used .008s or something very light tuned down + prosthetic fingertips...so I think his vibrato would be pretty hard to cop. It always sounded a bit 'weird' to me!

Last edited:
This song is actually tuned up ~1/4 step. Weird. They probably did it to give it a little more energy. Yeah, lighter string would make those fast bends much easier. Did they even make .008s when that sounds came out :0)

Did they even make .008s when that sounds came out :0)
The mighty web says yes!!
This is from a 'greatest tones of all time' article talking about Iron Man
"Iommi’s quest for an original tone led him to drive his Laney Supergroup 100 with a Vox Rangemaster Treble Booster. The result is a satisfyingly nasty and heavy sound, especially considering he was playing his SG strung with 0.008-gauge strings and in standard tuning!"

Don't know if it's true though!

That's funny. I didn't know about the treble booster, but when I made the tone I used the shiva lead and wound up putting a treble booster in front because it just sounded right.

Nice Sean. I've had little success so far trying to cop the Iommi tone with my Ultra. I'm going to try your formula.

Shiva lead - drive 4, bass 4, mid 7.8, treb 6.4, no bright, pres 5, depth 0, master 9 - may sound different on the Ultra
Treb boost - drive 5, tone 2, level 10
cab - factory 44 (4x12 Recto V30 [own hammer]) - I also added a bit of room in the IIs cab block
a little reverb

Shiva lead - drive 4, bass 4, mid 7.8, treb 6.4, no bright, pres 5, depth 0, master 9 - may sound different on the Ultra
Treb boost - drive 5, tone 2, level 10
cab - factory 44 (4x12 Recto V30 [own hammer]) - I also added a bit of room in the IIs cab block
a little reverb
Great. I'll give this a try tomorrow. Thanks! :)

I like! I have to convince by band to add a Sabbath song so I can finally add this iconic tone to the library. Sounds great.

Nice Job ..It really sounds like it was the original mix.
For the Guys wanting the Sabbath sound I was say thats it ..who would have thunk Shiva and treble boost...

I like! I have to convince by band to add a Sabbath song so I can finally add this iconic tone to the library. Sounds great.
I checked out the YBR vids on youtube after reading the Eruption thread - your Ozzy tribute was freakin' hilarious! What an awesome band! Let me know when you guys are coming to Australia - ha ha !

One of the 1st bands I really got into when I was young,meaning early 70's.Tone sounded great :)

Back
Top Bottom