Axe Fx II Direct with USB to Mac/PC: The right way to set up everything?

I get very very little latency recording via USB this way in Pro Tools. Very usable with the Fractal as the audio interface.
I do get very low latency between the Axe and the DAW, BUT, the amount that I get going from the Axe via USB to the DAW and back again is the one that bothers me.
I might try lowering to 0db the level of the preset to see if it works better.

Not saying You can't record with USB direct, but the other way is much more usable.

I do get very low latency between the Axe and the DAW, BUT, the amount that I get going from the Axe via USB to the DAW and back again is the one that bothers me.

Not saying You can't record with USB direct, but the other way is much more usable.

In Pro Tools the Low Latency monitor mode lets me track with USB with the Fractal as the audio interface. Round trip.

Guitar -> Fractal -> USB -> Windows 7 Pro x64 -> Pro Tools 12.5

Fractal -> XLR -> Studio monitors

Really not a compromise in that mode. Even with a big session.

I think you are monitoring the Axe FX guitar tone out of your DAW, rather than just straight of the Axe FX.

I'm afraid I can't remember exactly what I did, but I am hearing my guitar tone live out of the axe fx > output 1 > studio monitors/or headphones

Then also getting my general PC sounds, the axe fx acting as a USB interface, then I just de-select "monitor audio" in my DAW on the track I am recording with the axe fx, since I don't need to hear the same signal again after going all the way through the computer and back.

This might be of some help perhaps.

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Axe-Fx_II_and_USB

In Pro Tools the Low Latency monitor mode lets me track with USB with the Fractal as the audio interface. Round trip.

Guitar -> Fractal -> USB -> Windows 7 Pro x64 -> Pro Tools 12.5

Fractal -> XLR -> Studio monitors

Really not a compromise in that mode. Even with a big session.

It's the way I have it set up except I run Cubase on Mac or Reaper on PC.
What I'm saying, is: even if it's written "No latency doing that way" there is some.
It's just mathematical sense: If the sound is going from the Axe Fx to the computer and then back with whatever track is in the DAW (Wherever it be a backing track or recorde tracks) even if You have output1---->XLR----->Monitor some hidden lantecy is created, even if minimal (but surely is more than micing an amp and cab)
It's not that much of a problem.....
Just keep in mind that USB isn't the fastest way. (And maybe one day, we'll have and Axe Fx III with Thunderbolt :cool:)
Again, I'm not complaining in any way, and still, I might just be my brain tripping on himself.
I think you are monitoring the Axe FX guitar tone out of your DAW, rather than just straight of the Axe FX.

I'm afraid I can't remember exactly what I did, but I am hearing my guitar tone live out of the axe fx > output 1 > studio monitors/or headphones

Then also getting my general PC sounds, the axe fx acting as a USB interface, then I just de-select "monitor audio" in my DAW on the track I am recording with the axe fx, since I don't need to hear the same signal again after going all the way through the computer and back.

This might be of some help perhaps.

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Axe-Fx_II_and_USB

Everything is set properly, no Monitoring on my DAW on.

Read about the topic, still not 100% sold on USB direct.

BTW, Thank You guys for the help ;)

I'm not really interested in the actual measured or theoretical latency.

For me, I only care whether or not it is suitable for tracking. That is my goal, to track.

If that is working in my workflow, whether or not there is some latency as compared to a miced amp (which by the way also comes into a D to A somewhere too) doesn't matter to me.

Back
Top Bottom