Axe fx II dead while installing fw11 (solved)

enoch

Inspired
After loaded the fw11 by F-B, the display of the axe begun to tremble and after all the lead on the display are light-on, and also the led on the bypass and tempo buttons...
I tryed to turn off and on but nothing happen...the ae 3 and fb can't see the axe and nothing there is on th edisplay!
Why? is it burned!!?!? there is a way to make and hard reset manually?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Try switching the Axe on/off a number of times.
Wait a few secs inbetween.

SOLVED thanks FAS and G66, reallty professional with customers, and fast!

Last edited:
Ya - don't leave us hanging!! - just me I guess but I'm always ticked when someone gives a long description of an issue then just posts 'solved' after other posts attempting to solve.

My Axe also failed while upgrading to FW 11. I contacted US support and have a replacement EEPROM on the way. In my case, I used Fractal-Bot to upgrade from FW 10.x. There were no apparent errors. But after I was prompted to power cycle the Axe, it came back up with all LEDs on and a blank LCD. As always, the Fractal Support team provided a quick and professional response.

These cases are strange - I don't see how a firmware update causes a hardware failure. I guess its like sending someone a new boot drive to fix a failed OS install on their computer - broot force method solution for sure.

These cases are strange - I don't see how a firmware update causes a hardware failure. I guess its like sending someone a new boot drive to fix a failed OS install on their computer - broot force method solution for sure.
I can't say for certain how the Axe is implemented, but depending on the design there might be a critical moment after the old firmware is erased yet before the new one is programmed. If a failure occurs during this time window the unit may not have enough boot code to allow it to start up enough to be reprogrammed. It is also possible the firmware image was corrupted prior to installation. There are probably other potential failure modes not mentioned.

Mine also failed the upgrade. Same symptoms. Emergency EEPROM in the mail headed my way.

I have upgraded successfully every release since v8 or so.

Could you solve it on your own? At your house?
What was the problem??

Like other members said, the solution is really simple, but only by fractal support. If i had read better the firmware update guide, this trouble is explained well, if it happen.

"After updating, my Axe-Fx will no longer boot.
Please disconnect USB, MIDI, and MFC-101 cables and try to boot the unit while holding down the RECALL button.
If this works, the problem may be a single preset. Change to a different preset and try again, and consider
overwriting the problem entry with one that works.
In the rare event that the Axe-Fx will only boot to a blank screen (sometimes with one or more LEDs frozen) this
indicates that the firmware update process has failed and the unit will require a new bootable ROM. Please contact
support via the information provided below."

I can't afford to wait for emergency EEPROM if it goes down during a FW update.

I wonder if we can buy a backup EEPROM from Fractal. I'd like to have that, and a backup power supply. Front panel display ribbon would be good to have as well.

This is why I try to be real careful with firmware updates including restoring all factory patches beforehand (obviously backing mine up first) to ensure no strange patches cause some sort of hiccup.

I'm sure FAS is trying to find a better method for this issue when it occurs.

same exact thing on 11.02 update. Happened after playing around for an hour, sudden comm fail , all LED lights on.

tried holding recall while booting, gets me past the locked up LEDs etc , takes me to a preset briefly, then blanks out.

Received my EEPROM yesterday, installed it, and downloaded11.0.2. Rock on!

You need to use MidiAux to restore. FractalBot won't do it.

Back
Top Bottom