Axe FX II + Cubase problem

jasonmcole

Hello,

I recently just built a computer. It runs on windows 10 and is fairly powerful. (I don't know if this matters but I built it without a soundcard knowing I would use the axe as my interface)

I just purchased Cubase Pro 9 today after switching from Pro Tools 9. I am fairly unfamiliar with Cubase but I couldn't stand the yearly renewal costs for Pro Tools in the newest versions plus it crashes all the time.

I have installed all the USB drivers and the Axe FX is set as my default recording and playback device in Control Panel. Cubase recognizes the Axe FX. I am recording in 48 instead of 44.1 of course. However, I'm having a lot of trouble trying to route things and understand the inputs/outputs strictly for guitar recording.

If I enable monitoring and record arm a mono audio track, I don't see any signal? I'm getting quite frustrated at this juncture - but I'm probably just blind or ignorant or both towards something.

Any suggestions? Or, literally walk me through how you'd set up guitar tracking with the Axe FX connected via USB to Cubase - but as if you were speaking to a 5 year old. I always set my I/O in Pro Tools as input - Guitar In and output - Stereo out. Any help you guys can offer will make me a lot less frustrated haha

I haven't used Cubase since I switched to Reaper about 5 years ago, but if I were you, I would look up some tutorials on Youtube.
Also RTFM.

So, I'm a cubase user... there are a couple things I think that can cause this kind of problem. First make sure your input bus is set up correctly. Second - and this is one that gets me every time.... try toggling the monitor button - as I recall, it works in reverse from playback. These issues affect the record function - I am assuming you are getting no information into the track when you press record (not that you can see the track recorded, but can't hear it in the monitor or headphones. Anyway those are the first two issues I would
look at. Based on your description, sounds like the input bus is not set up right, or possibly not selected for the track?

I agree with SJB, It's most likely that the VST connections are not setup correctly. Check out this video to show you how:

It does sound like your Connections are not setup as other guys have also said. I use Cubase 9 Pro and it works very well, and is stable too (note I am on a MacBook Pro tho). Press F4 to get to the connections quickly, and make sure they are setup to the AxeFX.

Back
Top Bottom