Axe Fx II Crackles / Clicks -- Can't Identify Problem

Here's something interesting. When those clicks and pops aren't present (the unit currently isn't doing that), the INSTR IN adjustment works. I need to double check this and confirm that it doesn't work when the clicks and pops are actually happening but if I remember correctly that's the way it was.

What do you mean by the Instrument In adjustment works? Are you unable to change the setting at times? That control is compensated, so you will not hear a change in volume unless it is set very high or very low.

Also, does it make the noise going through the Headphone out?

Yeah, that's a puzzler. Maybe something you carry with you. It could be your phone. They emit different crud at different times. We're talking about the sporadic snaps in your recording, right?

Yep those snaps / crackles. Not the part where I change the volume -- i know that's normal.

What's still killing me is that I *only* hear the snaps when palying something thru the axe. Music or guitar, whatever it is. Play nothing? No snaps. I still need to try the gate suggestion when it's acting up, though.

Think there's a possibility it's a hardware issue? I don't know where the fault would lie though, since it doesn't matter if I'm using the XLR out the back or the headphones -- the issue persists.

What do you mean by the Instrument In adjustment works? Are you unable to change the setting at times? That control is compensated, so you will not hear a change in volume unless it is set very high or very low.

Also, does it make the noise going through the Headphone out?
Hey, it appears I didn't have a 100% understanding of that knob but now I do. I'll retract my statement until I can test it when it clicks and pops. If I set it all the way down I can notice a difference when the unit is not acting up. I'm always able to change the setting, as in I can turn the knob and the screen will show the change.

Think there's a possibility it's a hardware issue? I don't know where the fault would lie though, since it doesn't matter if I'm using the XLR out the back or the headphones -- the issue persists.
There's always that possibility, but when issues like this crop up, it almost always turns out to be not the hardware.

Another thing to try when it happens again is to completely power down your phone.

Will do. I sincerely hope it's not a hardware issue. I bought the unit second hand so I know I don't have a warranty :(

Looks like there's not much else we can do now, especially since I won't be around it until Monday night. Can't continue with the diagnosis until we figure out:

-Is it the phone?
-Is it a noise gate issue / noise issue?
-And any other observations I can make

Thanks for your help! Hopefully I can get back to you tomorrow night or the day after.

Will do. I sincerely hope it's not a hardware issue. I bought the unit second hand so I know I don't have a warranty :(

Looks like there's not much else we can do now, especially since I won't be around it until Monday night. Can't continue with the diagnosis until we figure out:

-Is it the phone?
-Is it a noise gate issue / noise issue?
-And any other observations I can make

Thanks for your help! Hopefully I can get back to you tomorrow night or the day after.

You really should contact support.

#necropost but I just had this issue and it only affected my main patch, and crackling through output 1 occurred when the input noisegate was slightly on in addition to a Gate/expander block. Turning off the input gate entirely fixed the issue. Have no clue why, but probably some interference in the code of the two gates which were not meant to work at the same time.

You mentioned the recording from your cheap cell phone. Not long after I recieved my unit I also noticed strange sounds similar to yours. It turned out that when my cell phone was active and close to my guitar and the Axe it would generate strange sounds audible through my speakers. So maybe try keeping your cell phone away from your Axe and/or guitar for awhile see if it is the culprit.

Get rid of aliens in your corn field. I understand splashing water on them works.

Or just turn off baby monitor.

HI guys. Axe Fx II user here. I get crackling / pops during playback. Doesn't matter if I'm connected via USB or not -- I could just be using it standalone through speakers and I still hear the crackling. However, when the Axe Fx isn't processing or playing back sound, there are no crackles (i.e., when it's quiet). But, strike a chord, start playing, or play music through USB from my computer and the crackling starts up. They're not super loud pops or anything but noticeable enough to drive me nuts. Here's what I've tried:

I have had the exact same issue for years, but just in the left Output1 channel. Usually rears its head during a sound check or about 15-20 minutes into practice - I power cycle the unit and it goes away for the rest of the day.

I even sent my unit (AxeFx II Mark1) back to Fractal a couple of years ago and they couldn't find the cause.

Please let us know if you ever find a solution.

-VM

Back
Top Bottom