Axe FX II - Atomic CLR - Open Mic Night

wyzyguy

Inspired
So I will try to keep this short and sweet.
I have strictly recorded with the Axe FX II for the last 5 years or so.
I went to an open mic night just to see what was up.
Turns out it is awesome.. Age range 12-60+... in a great room with songs I dig.
I have an Axe FX II, MFC101 & a Atomic Active CLR..
I took a db reading just to see where there were... so it is about 105.. with 110 peak.
The guitar cabs are just straight room sound with overhead on drums and mic on Kick drum.
I wont have the front of house option ( i am going to ask though)

So here it is..... I can get the volume dialed in easy enough with good tone. I have set all my presets at 95-100 db & it is sounding great. I would imagine 2 presets being used tops. I know for a fact that I will be the only modeling amp there and would like to do us all proud on the audio end!

Anything else I should be aware of or check out?
I like to have things buttoned up & would appreciate any tips.
Thanks Wyzyguy

I prefer to have my CLR on a pole in the FF mode if I'm using it as a backline....actually I always prefer it that way. When running through FOH, I use it as a floor wedge pointing towards me and often don't even turn it on.

I prefer to have my CLR on a pole in the FF mode if I'm using it as a backline....actually I always prefer it that way. When running through FOH, I use it as a floor wedge pointing towards me and often don't even turn it on.

Definitely, put it on a pole or at least up off the ground on something. I read a reply by Jay Mitchell (CLR designer) on TGP who said that's the best way to get any speaker to cover a room.

Good point.. I forgot to mention a stand... Approx how high.? .. I have a standard speaker stand that puts it at setback angle and about 2' in the air.. The room is long and narrow left to right.

Thanks
GGG

According to Jay, you want the CLR above the audience's ear level so it would depend on how high the stage is. I would highly recommend NOT having them AT your ear level as all that hi frequency coming out of the tweeter will kill your hearing fast at 100+ db levels.

According to Jay, you want the CLR above the audience's ear level so it would depend on how high the stage is. I would highly recommend NOT having them AT your ear level as all that hi frequency coming out of the tweeter will kill your hearing fast at 100+ db levels.

From memory that should work out just fine. Thanks...GGG

If you havent been using your presets in a live situation, be prepared to increase the mids to get in the mix (use global EQ)

If you havent been using your presets in a live situation, be prepared to increase the mids to get in the mix (use global EQ)
Will do.. I will play with that tonight.I have tested my presets that I intend to use live in a mix on recordings but I completely get what your saying. I have never really used the GLBL EQ so thanks for the tip.

Set list is starting to come together.
Rock & Roll - The Mighty Zep
Brain Damage - P Floyd
Perfect Strangers - Purple
Heading Out To the Highway - Priest ... Working on the harmonizer part and settings.. Right now 6ths and 3rds is sounding pretty cool.
They will probably boot me by the second song.
I am jazzed up..

Back
Top Bottom