Axe-FX II as Full Time Audio Device?

rmp5s

Inspired
I'm considering switching over to my Axe-FX II for full time audio device duty. Wondering if anyone else does this. I'd keep the Line 6 UX2 just to phantom power my AT2035 but everything else would be going in and out the Axe-FX...monitors, computer audio, guitar, bass, everything.

This should work fine with my only concern being, the Axe-FX would have to be on almost 24/7. Anyone else do this? Can anyone foresee any problem with doing it this way? (I haven't looked into how much power the Axe-FX draws yet...that's another small concern...)

I'm considering switching over to my Axe-FX II for full time audio device duty. Wondering if anyone else does this. I'd keep the Line 6 UX2 just to phantom power my AT2035 but everything else would be going in and out the Axe-FX...monitors, computer audio, guitar, bass, everything.

This should work fine with my only concern being, the Axe-FX would have to be on almost 24/7. Anyone else do this? Can anyone foresee any problem with doing it this way? (I haven't looked into how much power the Axe-FX draws yet...that's another small concern...)

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...i-leave-the-equipment-on.100268/#post-1202261

To me one problem using it as an audio device is the fan. It makes noise, at least on my MK I model the 60mm fan is not what I want to hear all day long so I still use a separate audio interface that I bought before the Axe-Fx. The Axe-Fx 2 also gets pretty hot but good to hear it handles itself no problem.

To me one problem using it as an audio device is the fan. It makes noise, at least on my MK I model the 60mm fan is not what I want to hear all day long so I still use a separate audio interface that I bought before the Axe-Fx. The Axe-Fx 2 also gets pretty hot but good to hear it handles itself no problem.

My Axe-FX II (no idea if it's gen I or II...) is mounted in a soft case kinda thing so I don't hear it at all. Not that I would, anyway...my computer is not exactly silent. lol

I'm curious as to what kind of full time audio stuff this would be used for. Sounds interesting.

The only time I using anything but the AFX2 is when I am miking acoustic guitars... Which isn't very often. Fractal has really made it so easy and the quality is outstanding..

It will work, but I’d have to ask “why”, when there are so many fantastic dedicated audio interfaces on the market, with great pre’s, for very little cost.

I love using the Axe for reamping, so it’s great it has an interface, but for everything else, I have a focusrite hooked up to usb. It goes to a little desktop mixer, along with my axe output and a few other items, then to my studio monitors. Let’s me have backing tracks from my pc playing while i play the axe, I can hook up a synth or keyboard etc. just a way more versatile setup than trying to run everything through the axe all the time, and again, minimal cost

I'm curious as to what kind of full time audio stuff this would be used for. Sounds interesting.

Right now, my Line 6 UX2 powers my mic (which I will keep to do this as the Axe-FX II doesn't supply phantom power...wish it did...) and runs my monitor speakers and headphones. In an effort to reduce latency during recording, I'm wanting to run the monitors off the Axe-FX II and cut the UX2 out of the loop as much as I can. May or may not help. We'll see.

The only time I using anything but the AFX2 is when I am miking acoustic guitars... Which isn't very often. Fractal has really made it so easy and the quality is outstanding..

Yea...really wish the Axe-FX could supply phantom power...

It will work, but I’d have to ask “why”, when there are so many fantastic dedicated audio interfaces on the market, with great pre’s, for very little cost.

I love using the Axe for reamping, so it’s great it has an interface, but for everything else, I have a focusrite hooked up to usb. It goes to a little desktop mixer, along with my axe output and a few other items, then to my studio monitors. Let’s me have backing tracks from my pc playing while i play the axe, I can hook up a synth or keyboard etc. just a way more versatile setup than trying to run everything through the axe all the time, and again, minimal cost

I'm wanting to run as much as I can off the Axe-FX as a bit of an experiment to see how much I can minimize latency during recording. It's not bad already, so how much this will help, I don't know. Either way, I have to keep my UX2 because the Axe-FX can't supply phantom power to my AT2035. But...if nothing else at all...why not? If the Axe-FX could supply phantom power, I'd HAPPILY sell everything else. Consolidation is good...my studio is CRAZY cluttered already. lol

As a studio guy I would get a dedicated Sound card and use the Axe FX for what it does the best, kick ass at guitar sounds! But if you don't have much money do the best with what you have!

Yea, the UX2 has ASIO drivers and I use ASIO4All for a lot of the driver duty, too. That's not really the problem (er...well..."problem". Everything works fine for the most part) though. The main reasons I want to switch to the Axe are:

1 - Eliminate lag. There really isn't a ton of lag anyway, but cutting it down as much as possible is nice.

2 - Run my monitors off the Axe. This would cut the computer out of the mix altogether so I could just come in the studio, turn the Axe on, plug in and play without having to monkey around with drivers, ASIO, my mixer program, REAPER, etc to be able to hear it. Just plug in and go.

Jump on Google, my brother, and type in "sound card." :)
Done and done. Now I know and kinda knew but wasn't sure haha. I guess I was more confused about how the axe is used as a soundcard. I guess recording direct is using it as a soundcard considering all them USB interfaces used for micing amps in the analog realm.

Back
Top Bottom