Axe-Fx II as Effects Processor Only

PJM

Could anyone please advise if this is correct ?

Intending on running out of front guitar input of real amp . to OUTPUT2L of AXE. as p23 Manual right hand drawing
With my existing presets could it be as simple as just bypassing Amp and cab block .

Also manual states that effects only presets should terminate in an FX LOOP block to route signal to
OUTPUT 2 .
Would this mean that every patch regardless of the type of effect blocks should be this way.

Thanks

I run in both modes:
AXE FX on its own with internal amp models
AXE FX in 4CM with external amplifier

I use the same FX settings for either, and select between them on a preset by preset basis. The FX Loop block is required with ext amps.

My setup is
Guitar -> AXE in
AXE FX SEND -> Amp input
Amp speaker out -> Torpedo Live Speaker input
Torpedo Live line out -> AXE FX RETURN
AXE OUT 1 -> Atomic CLR FRFR stereo monitors

Regardless of FX blocks, the amp is hooked up this way and I use the FX Loop block.

You can also run
Guitar -> AXE in
AXE FX SEND -> Amp input
Amp FX Send -> AXE FX RETURN
AXE OUT -> Amp FX Return
Amp Speaker out -> Speaker cab

NOTE: You need to set the front panel Output 2 Level Knob to get signal in the FX loop. I set it at 12:00, you can adjust as necessary. But make sure it is not turned way down. This had me confused for a while.

Also manual states that effects only presets should terminate in an FX LOOP block to route signal to
OUTPUT 2 .

This is how I do it. It allows me to use headphones via Output1 or plug into my Vox via Output 2. This way I can use the same preset for both situations.

1579110162720.png

Thanks very much to you both . Still waiting for Amp to arrive . Toopy, what made you switch to using the AX8 ?
Cheers .

No worries.

Note that I do not change the wiring. I can switch between internal and external amp presets without changing anything but the preset.

Could anyone please advise if this is correct ?

Intending on running out of front guitar input of real amp . to OUTPUT2L of AXE. as p23 Manual right hand drawing
With my existing presets could it be as simple as just bypassing Amp and cab block .

OUTPUT 2 .
Would this mean that every patch regardless of the type of effect blocks should be this way.

Thanks
Using axe just for the fx and skipping the amp models seems to defeat the purpose there are much better fx units out there. To me the fx are average and utilitarian but it’s up to you obviously. To most people the amp and cab models are the only reason they buy it

Anyone got a minute to help!?

I've got an Axe-FX II XL and I'm trying to use it in my patch bay and it is only producing half volume even though the outputs on the front are cranked. I'm in Axe-Edit and trying to not use the Ax-FX cab/amps and just use it for effects when when I put in just a delay and chorus (for example) it just mutes all the sound even though the white lines go all the way from Input to Output.

To be clear when I select one of the default settings with amps/cabs it sounds OK, but the output is only halfway up in Pro Tools. Additionally when I try to clear the amps/cabs and just use effects it kills all audio.

I've got a Marshall 100 watt head going into an AP 512v pre that sounds great on it's own, I'm just trying to use the Ax-FX for effects for the guitar or whatever else in my patch bay.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom