Axe-FX II as channel strip in DAW

Chronograph

Inspired
Hi guys,

Just wanted to share an interesting life hack with you.

I use Logic 9 as the main DAW, over 200 plugins, crashing all the time, digital artefacts etc etc.

After another crash of Logic today, I asked myself - why not using Axe FX as an outboard gear, not only for the guitars but also as a channel strip? Long story short, I just made a preset in Axe I am using right now for the kick. Very simple one, three parametric EQs and the new optical compressor. First, EQ 1 where I cut dramatically everything from 200 Hz up to 2 rHz. Then the compressor with pretty aggressive settings (long attack, long release, 8 dB of makeup gain). Then EQ2 where I boost around 60 Hz narrowly and around 2 rHz for that spank, then EQ3 just for hi-pass and low-pass filters.

The result so far is fantastic! :hearteyes: The kick is very tight, with thick lows but not overwhelmingly, sits nicely in the mix. Way better than any of my plugins.

Looks like another use for Axe has just been found:sunglasses: Highly recommended.

Last edited:
I've just bought a patch bay and have been setting up some presets to use the Axe more as a hardware fx unit. It's pretty cool that, by using the fx send block you can get 4 separate mono fx chains out of it.

And the fx sound great of course.

I just wish we had the option to run the amps and drives in stereo - that would be the kicker!

You could also use a Cab block with a Null IR and then you get access the "preamp" section of that block which simulates a channel strip.

I used the axe for loads of stuff like this on my latest album. I used it on nearly every instrument along with logic plugins and for nearly all my reverbs - you can listen here if you like. The studio compressor, eq and multi compressor blocks along with the enhancer, reverb and delay were awesomely useful! Using the USB to send and receive the audio cuts out any analog to digital and digital to analog conversions too. It'd be great if there was a AU unit version of axe edit so you could literally just plug the Axe in as DSP powered effect on a channel strip.

Now i just need enough cash to buy several more Axe FX units so the band can sound just like the album ;)

I've just bought a patch bay and have been setting up some presets to use the Axe more as a hardware fx unit. It's pretty cool that, by using the fx send block you can get 4 separate mono fx chains out of it.

And the fx sound great of course.

I just wish we had the option to run the amps and drives in stereo - that would be the kicker!
How do you get 4 separate chains with 2 I/o ?

How do you get 4 separate chains with 2 I/o ?

Input 1 Left -> Output 2 Left (via fx send block)
Input 1 Right -> Output 2 Right (via fx send block)

Input 2 Left (fx send block) -> Output 1 Left
Input 2 Right (fx send block) -> Output 1 Right

Takes a bit of fiddling about to set the preset up and it's a bit counter-intuitive but it seems to work! I haven't used the setup in anger yet.

Of course you could run this as two stereo chains or one stereo and two mono as well.

If anyone's having difficulty figuring it out I'll post the preset.

Input 1 Left -> Output 2 Left (via fx send block)
Input 1 Right -> Output 2 Right (via fx send block)

Input 2 Left (fx send block) -> Output 1 Left
Input 2 Right (fx send block) -> Output 1 Right

Takes a bit of fiddling about to set the preset up and it's a bit counter-intuitive but it seems to work! I haven't used the setup in anger yet.

Of course you could run this as two stereo chains or one stereo and two mono as well.

If anyone's having difficulty figuring it out I'll post the preset.
Makes sense, but since I use it as external plug in and do it in digital I like 2 mono/1 stereo strip.

I sometimes use all of the AxeFx's effects for mixing literally everything. It works perfectly even for mastering though. Ultimate guitar processor? It's also the ultimate mixing tool ever! "To infinity and beyond!"

Back
Top Bottom