Axe-FX II as Audio Device on Skype

Hi, I'm trying to somehow attain the following result on Skype: being able to set the Axe-FX as an audio device so that the other person can directly hear what I'm playing through it AS WELL AS whatever is playing through it on my computer, or in other words, the mix of my guitar and any tracks I'm playing along with.

I was able to accomplish this with an RME Babyface but it was a bit convoluted... dedicating a channel on the software mixer to skype, copying the submix from the headphones onto that channel, and activating loopback. I have absolutely no clue what any of that means, I was walked through it by someone on the RME forums.

So my question is - could this be achieved with the Axe-FX as a standalone audio device? If I need some sort of 3rd party mixer software to make this happen, what would you recommend?

Thanks! :)

Hey man! :D I can't help you regarding using the unit as a standalone device... but here's another idea. Why not run a microphone and the AxeFX II into a small mixer? That way you can set the mixer to the audio device you want to use for Skype and you could hear the AxeFX II direct signal and your voice with the freedom to mix the levels easily. You wouldn't need to have a microphone right up against your face the whole time, a shotgun mic, hypercardiod mic, or something like the Apogee One would be PERFECT! It captures quite a large field of sound and with high quality audio as well.

+1 for the microphone idea, since the sound quality (bandwith) of Skype can not be worst than the difference of quality from going direct or through a microphone.

+1 for the microphone idea, since the sound quality (bandwith) of Skype can not be worst than the difference of quality from going direct or through a microphone.

The microphone would be to talk through. The guitar goes into the Axe, whose out puts go into a mixer. The microphone also goes into the mixer. Both signals then go from the mixer into the computer and to Skypes audio input. But the Axe FX doesn't go through the microphone.

Hi, I'm trying to somehow attain the following result on Skype: being able to set the Axe-FX as an audio device so that the other person can directly hear what I'm playing through it AS WELL AS whatever is playing through it on my computer, or in other words, the mix of my guitar and any tracks I'm playing along with.

I've been wanting to be able to do that too. An "All Audio out" ... this way, when showing off, you can show of to a backing track.

Hey man! :D I can't help you regarding using the unit as a standalone device... but here's another idea. Why not run a microphone and the AxeFX II into a small mixer? That way you can set the mixer to the audio device you want to use for Skype and you could hear the AxeFX II direct signal and your voice with the freedom to mix the levels easily. You wouldn't need to have a microphone right up against your face the whole time, a shotgun mic, hypercardiod mic, or something like the Apogee One would be PERFECT! It captures quite a large field of sound and with high quality audio as well.

The microphone would be to talk through. The guitar goes into the Axe, whose out puts go into a mixer. The microphone also goes into the mixer. Both signals then go from the mixer into the computer and to Skypes audio input. But the Axe FX doesn't go through the microphone.

Thanks, but this doesn't help me route the playback from the computer. I want to be to play an audio file on my guitar and blend that with the Axe-FX sound. I don't think a mixer would be necessary. There should be a software-based solution since all the entire signal chain is already contained within the device when it's being used for audio playback.

Send the output of the computer into the mixer also to monitor the whole lot.

No idea what OS you use but on Windows you can only have a single ASIO driver or preferred audio ins and outs. ASIO4ALL may help.

For Mac, you need an aggregate device driver.

Thanks, but this doesn't help me route the playback from the computer. I want to be to play an audio file on my guitar and blend that with the Axe-FX sound. I don't think a mixer would be necessary. There should be a software-based solution since all the entire signal chain is already contained within the device when it's being used for audio playback.

I want to do this, too.

I read that Axe FX routing ability is limited. Is it not possible to do this with Audio Midi Setup and Axe FX?

Or must External hardware must be purchased? What is the least amount of and cheapest equipment that I must buy? I don't know much.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Can't resist to say that if you manage to make it work you'll have the warmest and the best sounding Skype on the planet, with "phone in the room" feeling.

I was able to accomplish this with an RME Babyface but it was a bit convoluted... dedicating a channel on the software mixer to skype, copying the submix from the headphones onto that channel, and activating loopback. I have absolutely no clue what any of that means, I was walked through it by someone on the RME forums.

So my question is - could this be achieved with the Axe-FX as a standalone audio device? If I need some sort of 3rd party mixer software to make this happen, what would you recommend?

Thanks! :)

Been there, done that. I was able to jam with a friend in England over Skype with my AxeFx II simply connected to the computer via USB: worked great. I believe I used VAC, but I can't verify that as I moved to a new computer and I've not configured it to do the same. You can certainly do it and it's not very complicated.

boogie

there's VoiceMeeter Banana you can try as a 3rd party software mixer, something like a "virtual audio cable" but it has a nice mixer layout for you to route all your audio devices into 1 virtual output to Skype.

I sometimes also use it to reroute my mic from my audio interface into my DAW, run some plugins on my mic and back out into Voicemeeter and into skype.

Moreover, its entirely free!!

VB-Audio VoiceMeeter Banana

VoicemeeterBananaMixer.jpg

Back
Top Bottom