Axe-Fx II "Ares" Rev 2.00 Firmware Release

FAS constantly provides free improvements and new features through firmware updates for a very reasonable period after the release of the hardware. But FAS makes money only by selling hardware. It makes no sense (IMHO) for them to keep updating a device which was introduced 10 years ago and has been superceded by a new generation of hardware. Also, the old device simply has no room for new or improved stuff: https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Axe-Fx_II#Discontinued
I understand the principle of "reasonableness" of business, but it can be more diverse and flexible, taking into account mutual interests. For example, a user likes his old retro car, does not want to buy a new one - no money. It is more profitable for him to buy a new engine for his car now than a completely new car in the future, when he has saved up. So here, you can buy possible improvements for new firmware for a separate fee, if there is a possibility for the amount of memory. After all, the improvements in Ax-Fx III are not associated with an increase in memory, but as I understand it, but with open new algorithms for programming the reliability of amplifiers, I think there will be a mutual benefit for both business and users.

Give it up guys, the ii has had a good run, and is at the end of it's amazing journey. He can't fit anything else there and it sounds amazing as is, just enjoy it and be happy 😊

I still have my iis and am using them for the wife's violin 🎻 it sounds Stellar!! I play them occasionally and they sound stellar!

I play the 3 and it sounds even more stellar! If you want more updates, the iii is the way. The ii is still the muscle car it always was, just a little older now

Yep. I fired up my II for the first time in quite a while to compare it to my III head to head. It's stood up amazingly well. The III has a certain clarity and dimension over the II, but by no means did the II sound lacking. The III was certainly worth the upgrade for me. The USB and controller improvements alone were well worth it. The FC controllers are miles ahead of the MFC-101 and work flawlessly with Axe Edit. If you want more updates, pick up a III. You won't regret it.

I appreciate that firmware improvements have been incorporated post discontinuation (Ares, in 2019), and I hope that will continue where hardware resources permit. I bought the IIxl+ just prior to the release of the III. It still does things my FM3 can't. Be awhile before I can afford another major hardware upgrade. So anyhow, just saying, keeping the door open to possibilities is appreciated.

Well, here I am again just checking lol. I honestly do not expect to find any update again but I did not expect the last one either and there was mention of the possibility of future updates because of a new way being found to easily port over some of the algorithms across all the platforms. It did not say it will happen but that it is now possible. I think it would have happened by now if it were to happen honestly but hey one can dream right? It's not that my Axe FX needs anything else. I was very late to the Axe FX2 XL+ and the axe fx 3 came out shortly after I got it and I even checked first to make sure no new product was planned for releaser anytime soon and read that there might be something in the works but fractal was nowhere near releasing an Axe fx 3. Well, it was a surprise but I was honestly so happy with my axe fx 2 I did not care at all. To get the algorithm from the 3 ported over to the 2 was something that completely blew me away. I could not believe any company would do a thing like that risking selling fewer of the new flagship model by making the old outdated one a new and improved one that nearly matches the new product. I know the Axe fx 3 is much more powerful and people say it does sound a little fuller and feels more responsive like a real tube amp but there is not a huge difference in sound.

What I take away from all this is that fractal puts its customers first and that is the finishing blow to all the competition. Right now there is not really any competition out there in my opinion. Not even to the Axe fx 2 let alone the 3 but this may change now that technology is advancing so fast. I would stick with fractal even if I thought there was a superior modeller out there just because of the support alone. I know I can always expect more from my fractal product and that there will be many updates on each new unit as it comes out and not just little updates and bug fixes but entirely new engineered algorithms or new amps or some sort of breakthrough in innovation. My only problem is my Axe fx 2 xl + will probably live forever and it will be hard to justify replacing it when the day comes for an Axe fx 4 or 5. Hard to justify to the wife that is lol.

Hi everyone..
Anyone can help about one thing im thinking?
Ive got the last firmware from my axe fx 2 xl plus the Ares 2.00... About the first time it run away.
would be better make a new download again to firmware Ares 2.00 or just keep the old one?
Would improve anything?
Thanks a lot.

Fractal Admin could you please update:

Preset Banks A, B and C​

Zip Archive—Jul 13, 2017
Factory preset banks for Quantum 8.02 or later.
Please use Fractal-Bot to install these banks.

Thanks

Firmware does not include presets.
Thanks, and I understand that but as far as I was aware the latest presets were from 2017 and I am wondering if those are the same presets now that are downloadable together with Ares 2.0 or if these are new presets for Ares 2.0? If so I had better get busy :)

Thanks, and I understand that but as far as I was aware the latest presets were from 2017 and I am wondering if those are the same presets now that are downloadable together with Ares 2.0 or if these are new presets for Ares 2.0? If so I had better get busy :)
This thread was created when Ares 2.0 was released in 2019. The presets are from 2017... I'll let you deduce the answer :D

And just to be clear because of how you worded things: the presets and firmware are separate things. They aren't "downloaded together".

Back
Top Bottom