Axe-Fx II "Ares" Rev 2.00 Firmware Release

Hopefully my friend, in my opinion with that amp the axe FX II would be perfect.

I agree, but Cliff mentioned that he had to squeeze in the last couple amps, so I'm guessing there isn't much more wiggle room or he'd have likely done so already.

It's probably not 100% impossible but I 100% would not get my hopes up.

FWIW, I'll be porting some of the Axe-Fx III 9.xx changes this week. I woke up yesterday and figured out a way to use a single modeling data file for all products going forward so we won't have to maintain multiple files.
That sounds amazing, dude.
Is "Output mode" for amp blocks possible on the Axe FX 2? Would be really cool to get the best SS Amp+Cab experience possible out of the Axe FX 2. Tbh, I always felt like it was lacking something...

That sounds amazing, dude.
Is "Output mode" for amp blocks possible on the Axe FX 2? Would be really cool to get the best SS Amp+Cab experience possible out of the Axe FX 2. Tbh, I always felt like it was lacking something...

Totally agree with you, for me one of the most important feature of Axe III.

I agree, but Cliff mentioned that he had to squeeze in the last couple amps, so I'm guessing there isn't much more wiggle room or he'd have likely done so already.

It's probably not 100% impossible but I 100% would not get my hopes up.

we had room for Skull Crusher but we have not room for JP2C???? :(

I wonder how this comparison would sound like with the latest firmware update:

agree - I'm still wondering if the FM3 will be enough difference to warrant an upgrade for me. A direct comparison between the FXII with latest Ares and FXIII would definitely help that decision.

I just installed 9.01 on the 3, and played the 2, and WOW, the 3 is just mind blowing! The new improvements and the gain enhancer should definitely make those on the fence get a 3!

I'd also like to see the gain enhancer JPC2+ and grinder boost but I'm 100% not getting my hopes up-we have been given a generous gift, let's not get greedy.

agree - I'm still wondering if the FM3 will be enough difference to warrant an upgrade for me. A direct comparison between the FXII with latest Ares and FXIII would definitely help that decision.
FM3 or Axe FX 3 have a lot more going for them than just Amp modelling accuracy.
In case of FM3 - Most likely, I'll be upgrading. While it isn't the only thing, the form factor alone is enough to sell it for me. Unlike Axe FX 2, it will fit in my guitar soft case or a backpack. That's a blessing.

Still, as I understand it, there are certain limitations to Axe FX 2 hardware. So, It may get some amp modelling stuff from Axe FX 3 Ares, but it cannot be fully there, so it will always stay behind. Also, as we get it - Axe FX 2 is maxed out. The only reason we are getting these updates is that Cliff gets inspired and solves the puzzle on how to fit 13 clowns in a tiny car. Hopefully, Cliff is willing to support this classic device by continuing on solving this puzzle. We might still get a firmware or two, but Eventually it will become physically impossible.

because it has been stated that there’s insufficient memory available.

I want to preface by saying any and all updates to the II in any form are amazing, and virtually unprecedented for a company like this. But I recall Cliff saying the opposite, and that amp models are not part of the memory problem. It sounded like the issue was there isn't enough memory to run the more complex algorithms, and that specifically removing amp models would do nothing to solve the memory issues because those are stored in a separate memory-store. I also believe I remember him saying the Axe II had room for hundreds of more amps when the non-XL versions hit a wall in the updates (which he solved by removing the multiple modeling versions with preprocessors).

This is probably too much speculation on my part, but my interpretation of his last post about this was that he was able to figure out a way to have a single modeling file for every product, and that the changes being added to the II were to make use of this file. I have hopes that this includes adding the JP2C models. If this never comes to light and the FW at the start of this thread is the last update then that is still amazing, but boy would I love to have those JP2C models in the II!

I want to preface by saying any and all updates to the II in any form are amazing, and virtually unprecedented for a company like this. But I recall Cliff saying the opposite, and that amp models are not part of the memory problem. It sounded like the issue was there isn't enough memory to run the more complex algorithms, and that specifically removing amp models would do nothing to solve the memory issues because those are stored in a separate memory-store. I also believe I remember him saying the Axe II had room for hundreds of more amps when the non-XL versions hit a wall in the updates (which he solved by removing the multiple modeling versions with preprocessors).

This is probably too much speculation on my part, but my interpretation of his last post about this was that he was able to figure out a way to have a single modeling file for every product, and that the changes being added to the II were to make use of this file. I have hopes that this includes adding the JP2C models. If this never comes to light and the FW at the start of this thread is the last update then that is still amazing, but boy would I love to have those JP2C models in the II!

I BELIEVE JP2C had the most threads in wish list section of the Axe-Fx II throughout the past 3 years, to make short long story I believe adding this amp to the Axe-Fx II is the easiest thing to do for Cliff and I'm sure he will add it @FractalAudio

I note im on 3.14.3 and dont have Q5 its been so long since ive upgraded fractal bot is 2.85
ive not been able to get much help.....

What do I need to do update to q5 then newest firmware 3.15 ares ?
Im currently pleased and happy with my amp sound but I just saved that
I should do full back up and save it but honestly forgot how to do this
fractal bot wants to update also and drivers so I dont mess with it since its working now....

I need to back everything up as is first then do upgrade then if I dont care for it
id be able to restore things.

but I need refresher on how to back up then how to update to Q5
get drivers that work with sierra and get 3.15 version axe edit or current upgrade ares
2.00 as mentioned by madselhoff

Im weary ill mess something up and not be able to play at all and so I need to read alot first..
can anyone help explain how id do this ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom