Axe-Fx II "Ares" Rev 2.00 Firmware Release

Every one of my presets that used Recto Red 2 Modern sounded horrible and very quiet in terms of overall volume, yet level was unchanged at around -12.5. I did a reset block and it sounded fine. Used FracTool to export original and reset block preset and found the XFormer Match was changed to ".100" after the update to Ares 2.00. Simply setting the XFormer Match back to 1 (or something reasonable) brought it back to life.

It was strange though that not all of my Recto Red preset were changed to XF Match of ".100" ... some were set to seemingly random values, which caused some to sound worse than others, but they were all off putting. My Recto Red presets do not use a global block and are all unique in settings.

I haven't noticed any other issues with any other amp model though. Just the Rectos
So today I went back to my recto patch and it sounded fine, the xf was set to 1,since I reset the block the other time.
Only thing different was my instrument cable and I think it was that

Hi... Prometh.... just a question: Did you reset the amp block or just plug and play? thanks a lot... :) 🤘
I hadn't. I didn't think that was still a thing. Doing so returned my preset to how I remember it sounding in Ares v1.x -- thanks!

That’s awesome. I’d love to hear your thoughts on what you like better about the Axe vs the Kemper? There is always so much talk from Kemper users thinking that it’s better than Fractal and Helix.
Well... Nothing new really. For me (as others) there is this "signature" Kemper sound on most high gain profiles. For some it might not matter, but I heard it more and more. This fizzyness... I had acces to some REALLY cool amps and a professionel producer (meshuggah amps used on their newest album, and Tue Madsen + Fredrik Tordendahl profiling them... they played around with my Kemper in the studio) but something was always present that didn't fit in (Fredrik T. agreed) So I grew tired of it and thought about trying the Axe Fx out...traded with a guy...and HALLELUJA... no more fizz, or "signature sound" I have actually played more guitar/bass with the Axe than I have done in a long time with the Kemper.. tweaking it again and again to get ridd of that fizzyness!!! Btw, after the Ares 2.0 the bottom end tightened and the whole tonal area just cleared up in a way :) Oh.. and the Axe Edit is also a winner for me.

Last edited:
Well... Nothing new really. For me (as others) there is this "signature" Kemper sound on most high gain profiles. For some it might not matter, but I heard it more and more. This fizzyness... I had acces to some REALLY cool amps and a professionel producer (meshuggah amps used on their newest album, and Tue Madsen + Fredrik Tordendahl profiling them... they played around with my Kemper in the studio) but something was always present that didn't fit in (Fredrik T. agreed) So I grew tired of it and thought about trying the Axe Fx out...traded with a guy...and HALLELUJA... no more fizz, or "signature sound" I have actually played more guitar/bass with the Axe than I have done in a long time with the Kemper.. tweaking it again and again to get ridd of that fizzyness!!! Btw, after the Ares 2.0 the bottom end tightened and the whole tonal area just cleared up in a way :) Oh.. and the Axe Edit is also a winner for me.

Nice interesting info there. Not that I’m super surprised that Fractal is better than Kemper haha.

I don't know if it's only me but after upgrading, when I turn my AXE on and have left it on a preset with a wah block, my wah is on even though it doesn't show on. This is on the factory presets. When I go to the next preset and then back again everything is like it should be and the wah is off.

@ericar - I actually experienced that bug a good few months ago. I don't normally use wah, so haven't seen it since, but I can definitely say this was pre-Ares update.

Yesterday on rehearsel the first time with Ares 2.0 was amazing. Without any tweaking all my presets are cutting through the mix extremly well, and that without sounding harsh, but with a warm, dynamic high end tone.
Thank you Cliff, for improving my old AXE 2 MK I, which has been one of my best purchases of all time.

I don't know if it's only me but after upgrading, when I turn my AXE on and have left it on a preset with a wah block, my wah is on even though it doesn't show on. This is on the factory presets. When I go to the next preset and then back again everything is like it should be and the wah is off.
Yes I experienced this with the first ares integration. It remained even after downgrading back to 9.04 and had to resave my patches in good scene config to correct

I had a spare afternoon so I finally updated, I’m not sure I noticed much difference in my patches but it can be hard to say for sure when there’s a few minutes gap between playing one firmware, then updating to the newest.

It may be the models I’m using, 80% of the time I’m using Recto1 Red, Recto2 Red Modern or Orange Modern. No issues with transformer match on mine, it was still on default.

Matbe the interaction with the drive pedals has improved? I loaded up the T808 with the usual settings as a boost in front of a Recto, and it sounded much better than I remember. I’ve not been a huge fan of the drive pedal models in the past, I’ve preferred a shaped eq boost with the filter block.

FWIW, I'll be porting some of the Axe-Fx III 9.xx changes this week. I woke up yesterday and figured out a way to use a single modeling data file for all products going forward so we won't have to maintain multiple files.

Thanks so much for all tge great support and amazing FW updates and sorry to ask it multiple times but as a huge Mesa Boogie and Petrucci's fan I love to have JP2C in the Axe-Fx II and I'm sure there's tons of people who are agree with me

is there any chances of having this amp in the II???

Thanks so much for all tge great support and amazing FW updates and sorry to ask it multiple times but as a huge Mesa Boogie and Petrucci's fan I love to have JP2C in the Axe-Fx II and I'm sure there's tons of people who are agree with me

is there any chances of having this amp in the II???

I am the first one who wants it but that is not going to be possible.

From a serious tweeker of 45 years. e.g. Toneaholic's Anonymous
For me, with the onset of Ares, The AxeFx reached the level of plug and play.
Thank You Cliff
P.S. I'm 67yrs Rockin' and still jamming

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom