Axe-Fx II "Ares" Rev 2.00 Firmware Release

I didn’t think so either but then another AX8 buddy sent the screenshot of Cliff working out the kinks to area 2.00 for the AX8

Thank you very much, Cliff and all the FAS guys.
I always prefer to crank vintage lower-gain models like VOX AC30 and Marshall Plexi, and what I like about 2.0 is that those models became much more touch-sensitive than ever. I even became worried complaints like "2.0 is difficult to play than 1.0" would occur, but this is how the real deal is.

How wonderful is fractal it’s really works to perpetuate the equipment. Shure the best choice to get no other can stay close. Thanks a lot Cliff. I stayed surprised every time even when I don’t expect anymore.

I updated to A 2.0 and then rolled back. First impressions - ups, so much Highs, where are the bass frequences?
Mixed emotions - some amps are more into the face with spot on the mids (Marshall, Spawn), the cleanish amps like Supververb, Matchless are without "balls".
I checked the advance parameters, there is no change. This ist no update, where you can go directly to the gig - tweaking time again.

Thank you very much, Cliff and all the FAS guys.
I always prefer to crank vintage lower-gain models like VOX AC30 and Marshall Plexi, and what I like about 2.0 is that those models became much more touch-sensitive than ever. I even became worried complaints like "2.0 is difficult to play than 1.0" would occur, but this is how the real deal is.
Same impressons here - there´s more "fight" to get a good tone - maybe to much fight? Or we are too used to the A 1.03 for a long time?

I tried the new firmware a few hours ago (previous version Ares 1.03), I've been using the Plexi and Twin Reverb amp blocks on AxeFx2 since 2011, the only changes I had to do is +-0.5db on the amp output and that was it.

I dig it, I didn't notice much difference in sound per se but there is quite an "improvement" on the feel and behaviour which I like a lot. No CPU utilisation change either (remained 70%).

Keep in mind that 99.9% of the times I opt for clean to semi-clean (or semi-dirty) sounds.

Congrats Cliff and FAS team, thanks!

PS1: On the other hand, I was a happy bunny in terms of the sound and feel of the AxeFX2 since v2.00b (which is what it came with back when I unboxed it). ;)

PS2: Waiting for an AxeEdit update!

Last edited:
With ARES 2.0 the Axe FX II MK i sounds more tight and full. Also on the very heavy and gainy presets the "fizz" is gone. Clear as hell and you can hear now the mistakes when you don't hit the string perfectly right. 📷
1f642.png
:) Sorry but after 2 hours of bending the strings the g and b string where out of tune and I had to tune a little at about 0:28. I'm very happy with the release of ARES 2.0

This is again the Fremen Plexi 1987 5 scenes preset. Same settings as the video a few days before......

It would be an understatement to say Fractal gives you your money's with even the non-updated base unit alone but honestly the updates and improvements are above and beyond what any reasonable person would expect.

Thank you.

Thanks for the update! Much appreciated.

I'm on the fence, to be honest.
Something in 2.0 sounds, as if some of the "balls" are missing, kinda thin-something. I'm not quite sure yet.

I made the same observations as Hubi and Mic. At least with Marshall type amps.
Additional to the more treble and less bass, it also feels as if the gain is lower than with Ares 1.03 (probably caused by the more dynamic response).

To me it's no "fire and forget update". Have to adjust my presets a bit (or more).

WOW!! Fantastic surprise (Ares 2.0) when I dropped by the forum this week! MEGA-thanks to the Fractal crew for really going above and beyond. Cliff, I have a deep admiration and appreciation for how you run your company and the care that you give to all of us!! Feel the love!!

Back
Top Bottom