Axe-Fx II "Ares" Rev 1.03 Firmware Release

Fractal updated the II steadily for 8 years, they have pushed the hardware to it’s limit (hence the introduction of the III well over a year ago now). The updates are/were free, and regardless of whether one purchased years ago or yesterday all those updates are still available with this final one being the cumulative sum of them all.

The only thing you lose by buying recently is waiting the very long wait for all those updates over the years that those of us who adopted early experienced, you get to just jump to the end of the road and reap all the benefits/improvements instantly. The III is a step forward for sure, but that doesn’t mean it’s existence somehow makes the II less fantastic than it was prior to the new generational release, it’s still very much a phenomenal unit.

Thanks man, great reply and answered my question. I expected updates to software (the AXE is software) and when I recently read "final update" I was like "eh?". Now I understand by reading you reply what I have bought into.

I must say there are some "arrogant" sounding replies! It doesn't matter when I bought it, it was from Fractal Audio for the record. The point is if the product is DISCONTINUED then I would have like to have known that at purchase EVEN IF IT WAS A YEAR AGO - £2000 is not just pocket change. I am new to Fractal Audio and actually thought AXE FX II XL+ was new, and honestly, thumbs up for your reply! It shed light on my questions, no arrogance and very helpful. Much appreciated.

Because you wanted a great sounding, mature unit

This... 100% agreed. I LOVE it. I can't stress enough. I just have to let you know, I am new to Fractal Audio, I've been producing (writing/guitar) for 30 years man. I'm not a noob lol. I am when it comes to AXE FX though, but I can without a doubt say I am more than impressed with it. Recon24's explanation is more than enough and makes sense and now I feel more than satisfied. I just for a second thought I was buying into the certain kind of ecosystem (which I just recently escaped from - Apple)

Last edited:
So I just bought an axe fx ii xl+ and fractal won't be releasing updates for it?
I must say there are some "arrogant" sounding replies! It doesn't matter when I bought it, it was from Fractal Audio for the record. The point is if the product is DISCONTINUED then I would have like to have known that at purchase EVEN IF IT WAS A YEAR AGO - £2000 is not just pocket change. I am new to Fractal Audio and actually thought AXE FX II XL+ was new, and honestly, thumbs up for your reply! It shed light on my questions, no arrogance and very helpful. Much appreciated.
If you "just bought" it, it wasn't direct from Fractal because they are not for sale from Fractal and have not been for over a year.

If you did buy directly from them then it was before it was discontinued...

Otherwise (and most likely since you listed price in £) you bought from G66, they probably had some left in stock after the unit was discontinued.

In that case, who was supposed to tell you this? Certainly not Fractal... Maybe G66?

Because you wanted a great sounding, mature unit

This... 100% agreed. I LOVE it. I can;t stress it enough. I just have to let you know, I am new to Fractal Audio, I've been producing (writing/guitar) for 30 years man. I'm not a noob lol. I am when it comes to AXE FX though, but I can without a doubt say I am more than impressed with it. Recon24's explanation is more than enough and makes sense and now I feel more than satisfied. I just for a second thought I was buying into the MacOS like ecosystem (which I just recently escaped from)
If you "just bought" it, it wasn't direct from Fractal because they are not for sale from Fractal and have not been for over a year.

If you did buy directly from them then it was before it was discontinued...

Otherwise (and most likely since you listed price in £) you bought from G66, they probably had some left in stock after the unit was discontinued.

In that case, who was supposed to tell you this? Certainly not Fractal... Maybe G66?

In hindsight, yes. G66 should have made it clear!

I am still more than impressed, I just don't want to end up in an Apple like nonsense, know what I mean? I spent 13 years with them and the best economical decision was leave them, I just hope fractal audio are nothing like these clowns!

Recon24 explained it perfectly man. I am more than happy with what I bought. I have no need for the III but yes I'd have liked some new amp models down the line but if hardware is the limiting factor then I "get it".

It's all good. It is what it is.

This... 100% agreed. I LOVE it. I can;t stress it enough. I just have to let you know, I am new to Fractal Audio, I've been producing (writing/guitar) for 30 years man. I'm not a noob lol. I am when it comes to AXE FX though, but I can without a doubt say I am more than impressed with it. Recon24's explanation is more than enough and makes sense and now I feel more than satisfied. I just for a second thought I was buying into the MacOS like ecosystem (which I just recently escaped from)

In hindsight, yes. G66 should have made it clear!

I am still more than impressed, I just don't want to end up in an Apple like nonsense, know what I mean? I spent 13 years with them and the best economical decision was leave them, I just hope fractal audio are nothing like these clowns!

Recon24 explained it perfectly man. I am more than happy with what I bought. I have no need for the III but yes I'd have liked some new amp models down the line but if hardware is the limiting factor then I "get it".

It's all good. It is what it is.
The Axe Fx II is amazing gear and if the Axe Fx III hadn't been created then myself and pretty much all the other Axe Fx II owners would still be totally happy.

And even in that case, and if there were no more updates, I would feel more than satisfied with what it is. Those of us who got to "grow" with it over the years know the improvements but those who came later still have the benefit of those improvements.

And also, there has not actually been an official "this is absolutely the last firmware for Axe Fx II" post... So there's still a chance ;)

So I just bought an axe fx ii xl+ and fractal won't be releasing updates for it?

Is this time to sell it ASAP or what is going on? You can work on different versions. Had a "by the way, before you purchase this brand new axe fx we won't be supporting it after a few months" message been clearly made I'd have reconsidered.

I used to see people here rave endlessly about improvements after updates. IMHO, my II has always sounded great and the updates didn't really change much of what I use. I would not focus on the fact that there will be no more updates. The II is so deep and well-done you won't need them. You bought a great unit that will serve you well ... UNLESS you're one of those guys that needs to be on the bleeding edge. If that's the case then yes, sell it and pony up for the III. I won't be doing that myself.

I used to see people here rave endlessly about improvements after updates. IMHO, my II has always sounded great and the updates didn't really change much of what I use. I would not focus on the fact that there will be no more updates. The II is so deep and well-done you won't need them. You bought a great unit that will serve you well ... UNLESS you're one of those guys that needs to be on the bleeding edge. If that's the case then yes, sell it and pony up for the III. I won't be doing that myself.

No man, I am well chuffed!!! Will chuck up a tune soon. Love the unit. Just was surprised no more updates. I bought the darkglass luminal hybrid compressor for the cleans (Sarah Longfield), I was having trouble getting a nice solid clean tone tapping on different voicing's but now... we'll see. It arrives tomorrow.

The mesa bass 400+ is GREAT!!! Yes, I am very happy to have paid £2k for a shit load of amps and whatever lush FX I require. Seriously man. I love it :)

Really like the spacey intro and ending. Very atmospheric. I am not a metal guy anymore so the rest is not for me :)
But well done anyway. Also like that picture. What is that from?

Really like the spacey intro and ending. Very atmospheric. I am not a metal guy anymore so the rest is not for me :)
But well done anyway. Also like that picture. What is that from?

The pic is from deviantart - had to use something man, bandcamp don't allow avatar-less tracks (I think, if they do can you let me know how as I am either really stupid or just blind). I didn't know it was actual metal haha, rather just heavy music - I'm not a metaller! I kinda just dig whatever tickles my fancy. I like the rhythms of metal and the aggressiveness but I honestly don't listen to too much music (I probably should) and when I do I tend to binge an artist to the point of exhaustion :D At the moment I am on Sarah Longfield (prior was Devin Townsend). I'm a bit of an oddun! lol and excuse the rambling.

Last edited:
I read some of these last several posts, and for what it’s worth... I bought the AX II XL+ from Fractal last year in November I believe only to find out about 3 weeks later the III comes out!

Yeah, I wished they would’ve told me the III was about to be released... yes, the ‘sale’ price was good, maybe that was why.

A few months into the new year... final firmware.

At first I was thinking wtf... But, the II is a monster, and as mentioned, it’s been updated thru the years and there’s no longer a need to tweak presets when the latest firmware is released.

Sure, the latest Fractal goodies are welcome, but the II is still of the highest order among the best preamp/processor there is, and I’m confident it’ll remain to be so for years... even though the III is the new hype.

And, I still have a perfectly good Ultra that I use for rehearsals.

I’ve found a couple of amps with this release the other night that don’t seem to be working quite right. One of them is one of the Mr. Z amps, and I can’t remember the other (sorry). I’ll try to look for the other amp tomorrow but anyone having issues with any of the Mr. Z amps?

Good morning. I've been away for a while. Have XL+ with Quantum 8.02 currently on it. Can anyone confirm I can update directly to this new firmware or must some other version be installed prior? Thank you kindly for your time and confirmation. Regards.

Good morning. I've been away for a while. Have XL+ with Quantum 8.02 currently on it. Can anyone confirm I can update directly to this new firmware or must some other version be installed prior? Thank you kindly for your time and confirmation. Regards.

Yes. Download the latest version of Fractal Bot, backup all your presets then install Ares 1.03. You’ll most likely have to tweak all your presets.

Back
Top Bottom