Axe-Fx II "Ares" Rev 1.03 Firmware Release

I know there are multiple versions of the uberschall, not sure if it’s ever been disclosed which version Cliff has?

Personally I’ve never been able to get a good metal tone with the Uber model, always too fizzy or too dull, though I haven’t tried it since a few firmwares ago.
Ironically, the Uber model on the Ultra was killer. I'm not sure I've liked it since. I have no real decent point of reference either, so I just know what I like and what I don't; for all I know this model could be dead bang on the reference amp.

Youtube vids are a crap shoot, too, so I generally don't take those as gospel for deciding what an amp I have never played sounds like, who knows what the thing sounds or feels like under the fingers.... The one posted above sounded kind of undefined in part of the spectrum to me. But I do know that the Uber is a helluva amp based on hearing them in other's rigs or on albums where I know the artist used them.

I updated hesitantly but I haven't lost anything. Even if I did, it wouldnt have been much. As I recently acquired an AF 2 Mk 2. The problem I have though is that almost all of the factory presets have the rotary effect enabled? Kind of annoying going through them turn it off. Anyone else have this problem?

I did luck out and was able to keep a couple of my sounds and honestly, the ares update does make a difference imo.

I updated hesitantly but I haven't lost anything. Even if I did, it wouldnt have been much. As I recently acquired an AF 2 Mk 2. The problem I have though is that almost all of the factory presets have the rotary effect enabled? Kind of annoying going through them turn it off. Anyone else have this problem?

I did luck out and was able to keep a couple of my sounds and honestly, the ares update does make a difference imo.
That actually sounds vaguely familiar to me...

You can always use the batch setter in FracTool to turn it off everywhere.

Finally took the plunge and updated to Ares. Fairly noticeable changes and a significant amount of tweaking necessary with many amps. Just a heads up for those still on the fence. Some amps are brighter, some are muddier, some have more gain, some are way quieter, some sound killer, some sound almost the exact same, some sound totally different (Brit 800 I'm looking at you) and require significant tweaking....it's gonna take some genuine time to adjust them how you want them, at least if you are a nitpicky person. After making the adjustments there is no doubt that things sound better in Ares 1.03 than Quantum 10.01. There is a fuller sound with Ares. Beefier and chunkier, but in a really good way. Definite changes to the low end of things. Some amps have more low end and some have less. It is pretty random. As a person that has over 80 presets all with different amps, I'm really having to spend some serious time here. Gonna enjoy the process as much as possible one last time. Thanks for this final update Cliff.

Personally I enjoy playing not tweaking. After two gigs I think i´m going to revert to Q 10.01
I totally understand anyone who makes this decision. I'm still tweaking presets. Ares changed the tone quite a bit and will require some serious time to tweak....especially if you do the old copy x to y and then reset the amp on x method.

Has anyone noticed that the IIC++, which happens to be my number one go-to, sounds incredible now. It was already amazing, but now sounds...fuller, tighter, brighter, just all around bigger. I’m bad when it comes to creative descriptions, all I know is the same presets I’d liked before, are infinitely more inspiring and fun to play now!!

Final thoughts on the final firmware now that I've had many weeks to adjust all my presets. It really helped the low end of things. I had to tweak the low end a lot, but it is better than it's ever been. Fewer presets are flubby, and if they are, it's easier to dial it out. Just a tighter and more pronounced low end. I could add more low end in on edge of breakup amp settings and keep it from getting flubby. Definite improvement.

The high end changed pretty drastically too. I had to add high end in on dozens of my presets. They were muddier overall so I found myself messing with treble, presence and bright cap values in a significant manner. Once again, after things were dialed in....it's simply better. Pristine top end.

Gain had to change on many amps. Too much on some, not enough on others. Easy enough to adjust. At the end of the day, if you are willing to dink around with settings you'll get great results and this is a firmware to keep rocking with for sure.

I was flipping though amps with my strat earlier and landed on the Fryette D60 More model, with all stock settings and a strat bridge pickup, goddamn that’s a thick sound. So chunky.

I've had this update on my axe for a few weeks now, changed my AC30 sound allot, so basically spent the best part of the weekend trying to dial it back to what i like. Although i'm sure my taste changes from day to day, i'm quite happy with how everything is sound, as stated before the low end of the amps sound allot more convincing then before - I'm new to this axe game, dialling in my go to tone is a hard task.

I use Mesa Boogie 2:90, so I had to leave the Power Amp Hardness at 0 - 1.00 and the CF Hardness at 5.00 - 6.00. Perfect!

So I just bought an axe fx ii xl+ and fractal won't be releasing updates for it?

Is this time to sell it ASAP or what is going on? You can work on different versions. Had a "by the way, before you purchase this brand new axe fx we won't be supporting it after a few months" message been clearly made I'd have reconsidered.

So I just bought an axe fx ii xl+ and fractal won't be releasing updates for it?

Is this time to sell it ASAP or what is going on? You can work on different versions. Had a "by the way, before you purchase this brand new axe fx we won't be supporting it after a few months" message been clearly made I'd have reconsidered.

Fractal updated the II steadily for 8 years, they have pushed the hardware to it’s limit (hence the introduction of the III well over a year ago now). The updates are/were free, and regardless of whether one purchased years ago or yesterday all those updates are still available with this final one being the cumulative sum of them all.

The only thing you lose by buying recently is waiting the very long wait for all those updates over the years that those of us who adopted early experienced, you get to just jump to the end of the road and reap all the benefits/improvements instantly. The III is a step forward for sure, but that doesn’t mean it’s existence somehow makes the II less fantastic than it was prior to the new generational release, it’s still very much a phenomenal unit.

Just bought from who? Fractal hasn't been selling them for more than a year.

They DO support them and they are still great. There just won't likely be any further firmware updates.

Why did you buy it ? Because you wanted a great sounding, mature unit, which has the benefit of 8 years of refinements and updates already installed, OR, did you buy it because you thought you were going to get the "fun" of updating to new firmware versions all the time, tweaking all your presets for the change in tone the update caused on your existing presets, "rolling back" and forth between old and new and trying to hear any differences etc ?

In that case, you should of bought a III

Back
Top Bottom