Axe-Fx II "Ares" Rev 1.03 Firmware Release

Since this firmware was ported over, i assume it holds true for the II...
From the Axe-FX III release notes;
Added... SV Bass 1 amp model.

This is the original SV Bass model prior to the change
in 2.05.

The new SV Bass model added at 2.05 has been
renamed; SV Bass 2. :cool:

You are 100 percent correct Sir! It was the SV 2 bass that was causing me the problem. Switched back to 1 and it works fine again. Much thanks, I probably would not have figured it out for a while!!!

sv bass 2 sounds like the old model and the sv bass 1 sounds like the new model. We got one guy saying the sv 2 is the old model and another saying it's the new model. Which one is it?

Last edited:
My apologies... after checking the 'official' release notes in my saved files, I found that the info about the SV amps was not in them per se' but,... it was in my augmented version of the release notes. I often add pertinent info to my release notes copies based on statements Cliff makes here in a post on the forum.

Found the info on the SV... if I'm interpreting this correctly, the SV Bass 1 is the old version added 'prior' to and replaced by firmware 2.05's version. Many requested it be brought back as it was designed and here it is back in v.4..
The release note wording a tad bit confusing...

Here's the official firmware 4.00 release notes;

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes

Improved Amp block preamp tube modeling.

Improved Amp block cathode follower grid modeling.

Improved power amp modeling for “Class-A” type amp models.

Added modifier capability to Decay Time, Level 1-8 and Pan 1-8 controls in Plex Delay block.

Added Presence Shift control to Amp block Tone page for the appropriate models when using Authentic

controls.

Added SV Bass 1 amp model. This is the original SV Bass model prior to the change in 2.05. The new SV

Bass model added at 2.05 has been renamed SV Bass 2.

Added FAS Skull Crusher amp model. The nastiest, most brutal amp model to ever escape from the

seventh circle.

Reworked PI Fuzz model based on older “Triangle” version reference. A soft-reset of the model is

required to load the new parameter values. Note that duplicating the behavior of a fuzz pedal requires

that the pedal be the first non-bypassed block following the Input 1 block and the input block

impedance must be set to Auto since fuzz pedals load down the guitar’s pickups.

Added “Unlink All Blocks From Global” function to Layout->Tools menu. This unlinks all blocks from any

global blocks to which they may be linked.

Expanded the names of the “USA” models to more accurately indicate the switch settings.

Fixed Tone page for Plexi 100W 1970 not showing Normal Drive control.

Fixed incorrect capacitor value and wrong default Low Cut value in BB Pre Drive model.

Fixed wrong default Low Cut value in Eternal Love and Esoteric ACB Drive models.

Fixed Output EQ in Amp block not being redrawn when changing channels and number of bands is

different.

Fixed wrong triode plate frequency in Herbie CH3 model.

Fixed wrong mid and treble tapers in all Herbie models. Existing presets should be auditioned.

Last edited:
I think he reinstalled the firmware from a direct download and it worked for him, are you experiencing this sound too?

If so, perhaps try the same thing he did?

If it's not that sound he was getting, well yes, most if not all the amps DO sound different.....but in a very good way! This firmware I haven't had to touch a single advanced parameter, everything sounds sweet, straight out the box!
Not for me. My presets changed their sound a lot; especially in gain, volume and eq. I think I'll have to configure my presets again. I almost always start by setting up my presets with headphones. with ares 1.02 it sounded incredible. now with ares 1.03 ... I do not know. Maybe I'm the one who should get used to it, but it definitely sounds different. Maybe try to reinstall 1.03. Or v.olver to 1.02.

Cliff said,SV Bass 1 is the New one,and SV Bass 2 is now the Old one. The models are the same on the Axe Fx II and Axe Fx III

And yes,the SV bass 1..is loud as..F** :)

I did direct download from the Fractal support site and my Plexi sounds amazing, not like yours at all.
Luckily those are not my plexi sounds. But the remarkable changes of gain, eq and volume are very remarkable, so much so that I have to reconfigure my presets. I think I will try to reinstall. And if they keep sounding the same, then it's me who should get used to it. But I'm sure that with ares 1.02 it sounded much better.

Not for me. My presets changed their sound a lot; especially in gain, volume and eq. I think I'll have to configure my presets again. I almost always start by setting up my presets with headphones. with ares 1.02 it sounded incredible. now with ares 1.03 ... I do not know. Maybe I'm the one who should get used to it, but it definitely sounds different. Maybe try to reinstall 1.03. Or v.olver to 1.02.

Well in that case yeah that seems normal....there were quite a few changes in volume, with some presets being WAY softer and other much louder than before, but nothing a twist of the volume knob didn't fix :)

The gain of the amps also changed too, that's normal.....what was NOT normal was the odd sounding plexi clip posted earlier.....once you're not getting that you should be fine

Just to let you know it is sounding great again. Must have been something in the firmware. Never had a problem before. Dialled a plexi in for my less gainy sound and it is sounding nice and sweet. Very ac/dc ish. There's a nice picking attack sound to it which I've never noticed before which I like.

Keep up the good work.

I don't get these "remarkable" massive changes to the amps some are struggling with. Compared to firmware changes during the original axe-fx, the axe-fx ultra and up until a couple years ago with the axe-fx II mark 1, these new changes are VERY easy to manage.

Something us ancient axe-fx users learned long ago is when new firmware comes out, suck it up and re-tweak and save amps in the new firmware and stay current. If we failed to do so, the accumulated changes would be so unmanageable we had to completely reset all amps and start from scratch. Even doing that, there were many FW updates that were so extreme, it was easier/faster to start again from scratch than tweak existing presets to "get back" we had.

A side benefit of this inconvenience is we actually got better at using and tweaking the axe-fx...
imagine that...LOL

Just to let you know it is sounding great again. Must have been something in the firmware. Never had a problem before. Dialled a plexi in for my less gainy sound and it is sounding nice and sweet. Very ac/dc ish. There's a nice picking attack sound to it which I've never noticed before which I like.

Keep up the good work.
Glad it was firmware glitch. Had to be something bizarre because lots of comments that things are better not worse.

Cliff said,SV Bass 1 is the New one,and SV Bass 2 is now the Old one. The models are the same on the Axe Fx II and Axe Fx III

And yes,the SV bass 1..is loud as..F** :)

When did he say that? I also thought that SV 1 was the new one but Cliff said there were no errors.

Back
Top Bottom