Axe-Fx II "Ares" Rev 1.03 Firmware Release

Dears
Thanks a lot FAS for such customervsupport
Love the 1.03 with better clarity on marshally amps.
Just try the sk crusher : perfect
The fender seems more dynamic, bouncier... dont know how to explain.
More cpu usage too ... some preset with compressor make the preset to crakle ... but ok for better tone. have to simplify.
Is there improvements in drives too ?

Ares 1.03 and latest Axe-Edit version is so unstable on my Mk I that it's almost unuseable. 1 in 3 times when I try to change a preset I get a "communication timeout" error and I have to power cycle the Axe-FX to get Axe-Edit to respond again. Last night it happened to me 10-15 times. It seems to be worse when loading certain presets... the higher CPU use ones maybe? It happens when I change presets from the MFC-101 too. I'm using the latest Ares and Axe-Edit, a PC Laptop, and standard USB cable. I never had this problem back with the Ares beta version. I don't know which version it started acting up, but I noticed it the past few weeks. I'm going to go back to the beta version and older Axe-Edit software again to see if it the problem clears up, as I seem to recall I started having these problems after a Ares firmware update but before the new Axe-Edit version was rolled out.

Last edited:
Holy crapoli - I was just messing around with a few amps I never use - came across the ODS 100 Ford 1- Wow - I did nothing to the amp and it sounds amazing with all the defaults.
I am so stoked on this amp now - I may be changing my main amp from the Solo 100 to this.
Huge improvement I think over quantum for this amp.
Many thanks again Cliff and company!!

I noticed this with the dumbles too!!

I've never gotten along with the models at ALL, but now, I can't stop playing them!!

They're SOOOOO nasty and spitty but smooth at the same time, very inspiring to play!

My Ares/Axe-Edit combo has become so unstable lately on my Mk I that it's almost unuseable. 1 in 3 times when I try to change a preset I get a "communication timeout" error and I have to power cycle the Axe-FX to get it to respond again. Last night it happened to me 10-15 times. It seems to be worse when loading certain presets... the higher CPU use ones maybe? I'm using the latest Ares and Axe-Edit, a PC Laptop, and standard USB cable. I never had this problem back with the Ares beta version. I don't know which version it started acting up, but I noticed it the past few weeks. I'm going to go back to the beta version and older Axe-Edit software again to see if it the problem clears up.

Yep. same thing my XL was doing, but it sounds great, I figure they'll find the issue with Axe-Edit and we'll get a new version, maybe a slightly revised firmware, but Aries sounds great and I didn't save any beta versions.

Inspiring tones, I wrote a new track jamming last night, which is good, 'cause I'm working on a new CD (or 2 for different projects really)..

Yep. same thing my XL was doing, but it sounds great, I figure they'll find the issue with Axe-Edit and we'll get a new version, maybe a slightly revised firmware, but Aries sounds great and I didn't save any beta versions.

Inspiring tones, I wrote a new track jamming last night, which is good, 'cause I'm working on a new CD (or 2 for different projects really)..

Good to know it's not just me. The latest Axe-Edit version is a a big step backwards in user experience and frustration. It should still be a beta until these problems are worked out.

Hi guys, with Axe-Edit 3.14.5 and Ares 1.03, no issues whatsoever with presets disappearing, it even displays Ares1.03 in Axe-Edit instead of Quantum 11.03 like it used to! The 3.14.5 version is available for download on the Fractal website under SUPPORT, EDITORS, AXE-EDIT (GEN2).

First post here, just wanted to add my input Re Ares.
I bought an XL+ about a month ago... new comer-long story... not the subject here.
It came with Quantum 10.01, waited to get familiar with the box, the sounds, programming it etc before upgrading firmware.
Last night couldn't hold any more so after an hour noodling around... at 3:00am started a backup... fell asleep... at 4:00am woke up... done the upgrade and started testing.
Writing this after a full day at work and 2 hours sleep lol

Anyway, from my tests (and sleep depraved memory!):
Some amps seemed more gainy, some less gainy, some less low end and some more?
Well, if you compare same amp with X&Y, make sure - after you do a soft reset - to go over all tabs and set both sides to the SAME parameters.
After doing that I found that some amps didn't change much and some are much better.
Amps that will benefit are Non Master Vol or PPIMV or Master Vol but dimmed.
Makes lots of logic since the main modeling tweak was done to the PI stage.
What you get? Clarity.
What you lost? low end... well... not true... what you lost was unnatural congested clipped mud+buzz.
In 10.01 for example FAS Lead 1 if you roll back the guitar vol, you get the same "mud+buzz" but lower volume.
With Ares 1.03 if you roll back the guitar vol you get a cleaner tone as if it was a REAL tube amp.
You get a lot of "clean to mean" range like a good amp should give as before it was "kinda like mean but the same to mean"... I guess:)

Wondering whats happening with the bass amps in the new ares firmware for axe 2? There is crazy output happening for some reason only on bass presets. I've tried 3 different bass guitars and lots of presets, and its the same. There is no issue with the guitar amps it seems... This only started occurring once I updated the firmware...
There are now 2 different SV Bass models. One is much louder than before.

Oh my God! Some amps sounded different to me too; Are we the problem? Or will we have to get used to the new?

I think he reinstalled the firmware from a direct download and it worked for him, are you experiencing this sound too?

If so, perhaps try the same thing he did?

If it's not that sound he was getting, well yes, most if not all the amps DO sound different.....but in a very good way! This firmware I haven't had to touch a single advanced parameter, everything sounds sweet, straight out the box!

Ok after rebooting the AxeFxII and Axe Edit it finally connects. Presets sound amazing on Ares1.03. All the Marshalls, USA Lead, Solo Lead sound incredible.

Back
Top Bottom