Axe-Fx II "Ares" Rev 1.03 Firmware Release

Hi Austin, like you i use S/PDIF out and XLR output1 into my MOTU 828 MKII.
Like Cliff said, there's no change in tone and volume with Ares 1.03.
Like always, S/PDIF is just a little brighter than the XLR.
Thanks for input - I too do hear a slight tonal difference too with S/PDIF output tone, all that the 3db stuff aside...thought it might be Fletcher Munson messing with me since signal was 3db louder.

I just updated to Ares 1.03 and Axe Edit 3.14.4. I tried exporting an existing preset and it produced 0 kb file. I went back and exported a preset-cab bundle and it produced a 7 kb file. I tried to re-import the preset-cab bundle and I get an error: Unable to set destination cab slot for import operation. Seems like there's a bug in the export/import feature.

I just updated to Ares 1.03 and Axe Edit 3.14.4. I tried exporting an existing preset and it produced 0 kb file. I went back and exported a preset-cab bundle and it produced a 7 kb file. I tried to re-import the preset-cab bundle and I get an error: Unable to set destination cab slot for import operation. Seems like there's a bug in the export/import feature.

That's basically what everyone has been saying for like 7 pages. ;)

Hello, gentlemen!

I'll give you a review about yesterday's gig!

After resetting and adjusting all my patches I noticed that this firmware responds little in the middle region.
It has a lot more treble which left my presets a bit harsh, since the middle ones are less.

I'll try to adjust, but I think it's a feature of this new release.​

Anyone think this firmware is easier on the cpu? Running 2 amp patches with reverb, delay, 2 drives and compressors and only hitting 64%

I read a Quantum 10.01 preset (Ares 1.01 too) and copied the amp to X and Y.
I reset the X amp and made the same settings as it had on the Y amp.
Doing a comparison of presets I noticed that the mids have been scooped out completely and everything is very bright.
Even adjusting I can't match the middlerange of other versions.

I read a Quantum 10.01 preset (Ares 1.01 too) and copied the amp to X and Y.
I reset the X amp and made the same settings as it had on the Y amp.
Doing a comparison of presets I noticed that the mids have been scooped out completely and everything is very bright.
Even adjusting I can't match the middlerange of other versions.

I had to adjust a bunch of mine also by adding a bit more low end.... especially a couple of the Marshalls..

I had to adjust a bunch of mine also by adding a bit more low end.... especially a couple of the Marshalls..

I noticed the lack of low end too. I even thought about going back to using the 2:90 deep mode again.
Perhaps that's why the treble are so pronounced, since the middles don't so present!

Just gotta chime in and say thanks to @FractalAudio for this. Porting the latest modelling firmware back to the predecessor from the new flagship unit is almost unheard of in audio hardware companies in my experience. I remember leaving Presonus for good after they dropped all support for the expensive Firestudio 2626 I bought after a couple of years, rendering it useless after I updated my Mac OSX. Their customer support was borderline “F you” and their only suggestion was to roll back my OSX and stay in Snow Leopard forever.

Kudos Fractal!

Cliff is the real "Guitar Hero!"
Just gotta chime in and say thanks to @FractalAudio for this. Porting the latest modelling firmware back to the predecessor from the new flagship unit is almost unheard of in audio hardware companies in my experience. I remember leaving Presonus for good after they dropped all support for the expensive Firestudio 2626 I bought after a couple of years, rendering it useless after I updated my Mac OSX. Their customer support was borderline “F you” and their only suggestion was to roll back my OSX and stay in Snow Leopard forever.

Kudos Fractal!

For those noticing less "low end" and more "high end", in my gigging experience, it appears to be a "cleaner" low end. The result is more frequency separation in low-mids and lows, which leads to cleaner overtones, which reduces the effect of the lows "smearing" and "masking" the highs, which cleans up the highs and makes them more apparent.

Try this: reduce only the highs and try to live with those cleaned up lows a little longer before you start dumping more low content into your sound, adding "mud" and masking those highs again. I like the cleaner low end. Listening to full mix, the bass guitar is emerging better, and there's more "room" for kick as well.

Ive tried 1.01, 1.02 then 1.03 but I prefer the 1.00 firmware, I'm guessing thats pre cathode modeling update? But this is the good thing about modelers you can use whatever firmware is pleasing to your ears and presets. I'm totally happy staying with Ares 1.00 it does all I need and sounds fantastic.

For those noticing less "low end" and more "high end", in my gigging experience, it appears to be a "cleaner" low end. The result is more frequency separation in low-mids and lows, which leads to cleaner overtones, which reduces the effect of the lows "smearing" and "masking" the highs, which cleans up the highs and makes them more apparent.

Try this: reduce only the highs and try to live with those cleaned up lows a little longer before you start dumping more low content into your sound, adding "mud" and masking those highs again. I like the cleaner low end. Listening to full mix, the bass guitar is emerging better, and there's more "room" for kick as well.

I like these new features you mentioned and I think you're right.
Of all this I miss the middle

Staying at 1.0.1, which I'm pretty happy with. Not moving up until I see a bit more information on what happened and why? It doesn't sound like a change for the better so far.
All you have to know is that the newer the firmware, generally the more physically accurate the amp models are.
If a physically accurate sound isn't your thing, don't update.
If a physically accurate sound is your thing, update.

Back
Top Bottom