Axe-Fx II "Ares" Rev 1.00 Firmware Release

Hi. I'm new to this forum as I just picked up a used XL+. I've purchased a load of presets from Moke, Fremen, etc.. so I'm a bit nervous to upgrade to Ares 1.0 as I don't want to have to go through 768 presets I barely finished selecting and organizing.. Did most people notice a big change in how those presets sound after the upgrade? Do you need to reselect Amps? Do a lot of tweaking? Thx a bunch for your help (and sorry I'm chiming in late here..). Cheers.

Really just adjusting the gain of the amp.

Ok, that doesn't sound too bad.. I think I'll let myself get tempted to upgrade! Thx for quick response!

You may know this already, Jocelyn... but before loading Ares, take pains to make sure you've backed up all your personal presets, as well as your presets that you've already acquired. A suggestion would be to to relabel the ones you're presently attached to, with a note of the FW you're presently on (Q9.04, for example), BEFORE backing everything up.
Then, give Ares 1.0 a whirl. If you decide to stick with it, you can create fresh "retweaks" of presets, save 'em with the new FW designation, and move forward from there.
However, if you've done a good job thoroughly backing up your present state, it won't be hard to reload the older FW you're now on, reload those corresponding presets, and be right back where you are now.

Last edited:
You may know this already, Jocelyn... but before loading Ares, take pains to make sure you've backed up all your personal presets, as well as your presets that you've already acquired. A suggestion would be to to relabel the ones you're presently attached to, with a note of the FW you're presently on (Q9.04, for example), BEFORE backing everything up.
Then, give Ares 1.0 a whirl. If you decide to stick with it, you can create fresh "retweaks" of presets, save 'em with the new FW designation, and move forward from there.
However, if you've done a good job thoroughly backing up your present state, it won't be hard to read the older FW you're now on, reload those corresponding presets, and be right back where you are now.
Thx, that sounds like great advice! So that also seems to answer another of my concerns as to whether it is feasible to 'downgrade' back to Quantum 10.01 if ever for some reason I'm having issues with Ares.. Cheers.

I spent this afternoon porting the latest Ares changes from the III to the II. Need to test it some more but so far it sounds right.

That sounds great!
Thanks for the commitment!
I'm very curious about the (new) improvements.
Is it possible to update the editor regarding the new parameter?
Would be nice ;-)
Rock'nRoll

I spent this afternoon porting the latest Ares changes from the III to the II. Need to test it some more but so far it sounds right.

Whoa. I can just imagine it. Hours coding the last firmware, completing his masterpiece. Then Cliff leans back in his chair, strums an E, nods to himself, satisfied, then boots the axe-fx II off the desk and it lands in a paper bin. End of chapter.

Did you see it? Cliff wrote "porting the latest Ares changes", not "the last Ares changes". Ok that one could be misunderstood... BUT he also wrote "another beta before a final release", not "before the final release". Makes me happy :)

I know now, you're santa or santa's boss!
Thanks you all, for your service quality that is just unmatched.

Back
Top Bottom