Axe-Fx II "Ares" Rev 1.00 Firmware Release

I know that we're being spoiled already with the ares modeling in the II, but as long as you're adding both models of the SVT could we also get the FAS Skull Crusher? I've always loved the FAS models, and have pushed for more of your signature creations. This particular model sounds like it's right up my alley. If not not that's okay. I am currently saving up for the III. Thanks again for all of your hard work and dedication.

It's been said many times in this thread and by Cliff himself that there is not enough memory in the axe fx II for more amps.

It's been said many times in this thread and by Cliff himself that there is not enough memory in the axe fx II for more amps.
Actually, it hasn't been said by Cliff in this thread... And if that were the case, how is it possible that additional bass amps were added?

Here are all posts by Cliff in this thread:

DC1D9B4D-F34F-4998-A335-25A429604162.jpeg

Edit:

In fact, it HAS been said by Cliff before that removing amp models would not reduce memory use... So the converse is likely also true.

It was in the beta thread my bad!
"All that is there is some of the modeling improvements. It was all I could do to get that to run and fit. I kept running out of memory. There simply isn't any more room for more stuff.

The Axe-Fx II design is nearly 8 years old now. The board only has 256M of memory. Contrast this to the Axe-Fx III which has 4G."

It was in the beta thread my bad!
"All that is there is some of the modeling improvements. It was all I could do to get that to run and fit. I kept running out of memory. There simply isn't any more room for more stuff.

The Axe-Fx II design is nearly 8 years old now. The board only has 256M of memory. Contrast this to the Axe-Fx III which has 4G."
Sorry, but "adding stuff" doesn't necessarily equate to Amp models. I believe that means "new functionality".

The models are all variations of the Amp block... The memory is not used for that, as far as I am aware. The memory is for the code (FW) that makes things run, like the different effects.

I may be wrong, but again, if that were the case how is it that more bass amp models were added.

When we load a preset, we all know is that it takes a short amount of time. What happens is the Axe loads the required stuff from program memory into RAM. Now, a simple amp with little depth in detail doesn't require much RAM. But every detail needs to be stored some place, hence requires more memory, hence more RAM. What Cliff said means, that adding even more details will need too much RAM. In theory this would mean that loading a preset with just one amp would require like 99% of RAM (or for the Axe to still run smoothly about 79%). But I could imagine that hardly anyone would want to use such an Axe, so there's a defined limit of RAM for one amp block. And THAT amount of RAM seems to not be sufficient anymore if he adds more features.

Adding another amp however doesn't affect RAM because in RAM there's only one amp at a time (per amp block). We don't know how full the program memory is, maybe there'd be room for many more amps, who knows.

I have a feeling if he did this, it would turn into a never-ending "one more request" situation from everyone in creation. Gotta put the nail in the coffin sometime.
I get where you're coming from. I don't know if it's as easy as copy/pasting, but it never hurts to ask. I just don't want to sound ungrateful for all he's done.

Last edited:
Thanks a million Cliff, Fractal team and mods here and the whole community.

I was a late adapter and only bought my 2 XL + a couple of years ago and got a bit peeved when I first heard of the 3.

I was so wrong to be upset. I feel like I practically have a 3 after this last update. I also have so much left to do on the 2 still.

I just tried out the Energyball today for the first time in Ares and I am completely blown away still 2 hours later how fantastic it sounds. Even my wife noticed right away how good it sounds.

I will not likely have a need to upgrade for a long time as 2 years is not much time to spend with an Axe Fx. I would love to have every new model but I will probably wait for the 4 and be an early adopter there and then 6, 8 who knows.

I put in months researching amps and modelers and had the budget to basically go whatever direction I want. I almost went the tube amp rout but after lerking these forums and studying the manual I was so impressed I went Fractal. No disappointment and intact I feel I got more than my moneys worth.

This forum is my lifeline. I have never had to post a question because whenever I get stuck or am looking for knowledge it is already posted here or a link to tutorials galore. You guys are amazing. Thank you.

Indeed, thanks for all the hard work, and I agree that Ares 1.x for Axe II is a very nice upgrade to the modeling, we'll done all!

Wow cliff! Thanks so much! I'll be waiting to update til 1.01, but I'm rally overjoyed you've tossed another free update after the 3! I'l be upgrading at some point fs!

I am absolutely floored at what this does to my II XL. I can't thank you enough Cliff. There always seemed like there was a little something missing in all my presets. Good gods I don't believe in, the Ares fixed that. I liked it before. A lot. I absolutely love the thing now.

I'll see if the Skull Crusher will fit.
I typically don't respond to these threads unless I have a question about the firmware, I figure there's usually already enough posts with the 'wow thanks this is amazing' that I have to scroll past.

That said, holy shit, incredible what you hand out to us when the AxeII is officially a zero-profit product. I'm overseas right now, can't wait to get back and upgrade from the Beta to see whats going on.

Cliff, you're the best. Thank you again for all of your tireless efforts to this amazing product. It has served me and many others very, very well. I can't thank you enough for all of your technical efforts.

I hate to be "that guy" and add one more request onto the pile, but I'll at least ask... Is there any way to squeeze in the ability to route USB playback audio to the Output 2 L & R jacks only (without using USB as an input to Input/Output 1)? Totally understood if this is too much--it's just a feature that would help me with using the Axe FX II as an audio I/O device.

Thanks again Cliff. Fantastic work. Enjoy the technical challenges that the Axe FX III and other products bring. Thanks!

I'll see if the Skull Crusher will fit.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom