Axe-FX II and Mackie SRM450s

fox5150

Inspired
Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice and guidance regarding monitoring/backline for the Axe-FX II. I have an original pair of Mackie SRM450s which I bought some time ago now to use with a modeller way back when. The modeller is no more, but I kept the Mackies for when the band needs just a vocal PA. As I already have these, I'm toying with using them with the Axe-FX when I buy one (which won't be long now!) and am seeking some guidance on their suitability.

My intention is to buy the Axe-FX on its own and work with it at home to get familiar with the unit and to carry on using my G System based rig until I'm ready to make the switch. Prior to live use, I will add the MFC into the setup too. Therefore, I'm in no rush to have a live setup ready to go from day one. Yes, I realise what I just said, I bet that will change as soon as I plug it in ;-)

So, any feedback on whether I should try and get a setup going with the SRM450s or should I look elsewhere from the get go?

Thanks for your help.

I had a SRM 450 (original) I didn't like the sound of the AF2 though it. It colored too much. I tried to compensate it with EQ and it got better, but wasn't pleasing at all. I sold it and I am looking into CLR.

As you already own them it might not be the same for you,

But I've had a lot of thermal shutdown issues with these and try to avoid them if I can.

Symptom is the thermal protect kicks in and shuts down the amplifier when playing outdoor gigs. No sound. No likey.

Those SRM450s always sounded like tin to me. Very shrill. Be prepared for lots of EQ'ing frustration.... IMO

I had a pair that I used as monitors when I first got my Axe Fx and they sounded terrible. I almost sold the Axe. I kept thinking, "I can't believe so many serious musicians are so hyped up about this Axe Fx. It sounds like I'm playing through a transistor amp from the 1970's." It really sucked. But I sold them and bought an RCF NX12SMA. Hearing the Axe through that speaker made me not sell the Axe.

Back
Top Bottom